Hello everyone

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Zao
    replied
    Hi Jimmy. I thought I would chime in since I began losing my hair very young also. Propecia has done a lot for me and in the first couple of years I did see growth which has held pretty well for about 11 years.

    Here’s my story.
    Eleven years ago back in 1998 I was an 18 year old freshman in college and I was losing my hair. I had been losing it since about 16, I think but it was becoming very noticeable when I got to college. Styling my hair was nightmare and I was starting to get the comments from my friends. It came to a head one night when I was at


    You should definitely upload some pictures here. There are some great experts who will surly give you some good advice.

    Chris

    Leave a comment:


  • the B spot
    replied
    Sure Jimmy-- send them to my email @ moseley_j@comcast.net

    If you like, I can post them here for you for comments from some other members.

    With your permission of course.

    Take Care,
    Jason

    Leave a comment:


  • JimmyG
    replied
    Thanks for the info the B spot.

    I had read about Propecia mostly improving everywhere but the temples (and it says so many times on their website), but I do think I have experienced thinning all over the top and sides over the past few years, pretty much everywhere except the back, so I'm sure it will be beneficial.

    Where I can send you the photos? Do you have an Email address?

    Leave a comment:


  • the B spot
    replied
    Best way to track your results is to take picture on the same day once a month.
    Same lighting, same room, same everything.

    Then you can look at your 1st pic and your 12th month pic--there will be a difference.

    There is no real plan---quite honestly, most men experience the most response in the crown/donor//mid-scalp region----and not in the hairline.

    However, it is certainly beneficial to stay on Propecia in order to keep as much hair as possible. Additionally, Propecia helps the individual hair follicle--by strengthening the hair and possibly increasing the shaft diameter.

    If possible, it would be nice to see a pic or two of your current level of loss.

    Take Care,
    Jason

    Leave a comment:


  • JimmyG
    replied
    Thanks Dave,

    If I could get away with just using Propecia, that would be great! For it to work well enough for me not to take other measures, I would have to see regrowth, because it's gotten to the point where I'm not happy at all. I wouldn't say I'm Norwood 2 (mature hairline). I probably passed that stage around the age of 21. The temple recession has been consistent over the past few years, and I'm now getting close to Norwood 3.

    The pattern is quite similar to Jude Law's a few years ago (before his got really bad), with a persistent forlock and recession at the temples. It looks worse on me though because he had a much lower hairline to start with.

    Leave a comment:


  • davesolazzo
    replied
    hey jim,

    you seem pretty set on getting a transplant at some point down the road. but you really might never need one. you said you're about a norwood two heading towards a three. if you're not even a three yet i think you have a chance of doing well on propecia, especially since you have not been thinning for that long. im not sure that you really need a "master plan" for threating your hair loss at this point. just get yourself on propecia; you could see great results. if you dont see the results that you want after about a year and a half or so on propecia, then you can to start thinking about a transplant again.

    Leave a comment:


  • JimmyG
    started a topic Hello everyone

    Hello everyone

    Hi all,

    Firstly a thank you to the creators and participants of this forum. I only discovered it a few hours ago, but from my experience running online communities and what I have seen here so far, this forum is about as high quality as you can get. To see so many professionals and experts from all over the world posting in the forum is quite amazing.

    My story: I'm a 23 year old male, dark brown wavy hair, who has been experiencing thinning and recession at the hairline and temples since around 19 or so, progressing to a clear M hairline. Right now I'm somewhere approaching a Norwood 3.

    It's become particularly bothersome in the past year or so - I've begun to notice the odd comment or two, am becoming VERY self-conscious about it, have a frustrating time trying to do my hair (and it *always* looks terrible without 'creative' styling), hate it when the wind blows strongly, don't want to get my hair wet in public, don't want anyone touching my hair etc.

    It wouldn't be so obvious had I not been born with a high hairline, but unfortunately the combination is now very unaesthetic. The problem is clearly not going away, and is beginning to consume alot of mental energy, so it's time to do something about it. Thankfully, modern medicine gives me this option.

    I clarified in another thread that there is at least one doctor here in Australia who specialises in HT procedures (Dr Woods). So that takes care of that in the slightly longer term, unless I still want to fly to the USA to have it done by someone else, for whatever conceivable reason.

    I think the first step however is to prevent any more loss (something I wish I had done 2 years ago - in this case, 'wait and see' was not the best approach).

    From what I have read, the starting point is a prescription for Propecia, but I'm not entirely sure who to speak to. General family doctor? Dermatologist?

    Fortunately a close relative is a doctor, so I can get prescriptions for just about anything, but I want to know who would be the best to create a 'Master Plan' to do the initial consultation, track my progress, do follow-ups, manage my case when I get the HT procedure, etc. I want to do this in the correct way.

    Basically my concern is that not all doctors are created equal, and I'm paranoid that a doctor I see might not be very knowledgable about treating hairloss, as opposed to one of the gurus like Dr Woods or the Drs listed on the IAHRS site, whom I unfortunately don't have access to locally.

    On one hand I feel cursed for having to deal with this problem, but on the other hand, incredibly blessed that there are options to fix it, communities like this to help me, and I've caught it relatively early...

    Thoughts?

    P.S. Apologies for the long read!!

    Cheers,

    Jim
Working...