+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default I wanted to share my hair loss story and thank you

Eleven years ago back in 1998 I was an 18 year old freshman in college and I was losing my hair. I had been losing it since about 16, I think but it was becoming very noticeable when I got to college. Styling my hair was nightmare and I was starting to get the comments from my friends. It came to a head one night when I was at a apartment party. We were all getting drunk and I noticed that this really hot girl was checking me out all night. I got up the nerve to speak to her and one of the first things that came out of her mouth was that I had the beginnings of the jack Nicholson thing with my hair and that she thought that was sexy. I know she was giving me a compliment in her mind, but it set in that night that I was going bald ,which sucked!

I was attending NYU in New York city so we always took taxies everywhere. That Saturday night, the night after I was told that I was going bald, I was taking a taxi uptown and the driver was listening to the radio. It was a show about baldness! That really freaked me out because it was like a sign from God or something. I asked him to turn it up and I heard this mellow sounding guy talking to callers about balding. My first thoughts were that this is a really weird show. When I asked the driver what show was he told me it was called the bald truth. I said you have to be kidding and he said no, it was a good show.

I tuned in the next week and called in. I am sure that Spencer does not remember me but he could not get to my call during the show and took it after the show was over. He talked to me for a long time answering my questions. He was very patient and kind. I began listening every week. It was easier for me when the show went from Saturday to Sunday nights and I went to meet Dr. Robert Bernstein in New Jersey on Spencer’s Advise. Dr. Bernstein put be on Propeica and the rest as they say is history.

I never properly thanked Spencer for helping me that night and for these 11 years. I think I made all the right decisions because of his show and with the help of Dr. Bernstein. There has not been a month that has gone by that I have not listened to the Bald Truth and I followed the show from station to station in New York and purchased XM radio so I can listen. I didn’t realize at the time I could have listen free online

If I could give any of you new guys advise it would be to listen. My hair still looks good for my age which is 29 and I always tell my friends that I take Propecia and I tell them about The Bald Truth. Now I’m telling them to come to this website if they have any questions.

That’s my story. I am probably just another anonymous listener who has been helped by your radio show and you understanding.
    By the way I now live in Los Angeles and would love to buy you a drink to properly thank you some time.

Thanks for everything Spencer!

Chris (aka zao)

man, that's a great story. its always great to hear from someone who has had success in treating their hair loss. eleven years on propecia and you said your hair still looks pretty good for your age--that's great! a lot of people never take the time to post their stories of success-- so thanks for taking the time to post your story.

btw, spencer said he quit drinking...but i'll take that drink when im in LA...just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Zao View Post
    Eleven years ago back in 1998 I was an 18 year old freshman in college and I was losing my hair. I had been losing it since about 16, I think but it was becoming very noticeable when I got to college. Styling my hair was nightmare and I was starting to get the comments from my friends. It came to a head one night when I was at a apartment party. We were all getting drunk and I noticed that this really hot girl was checking me out all night. I got up the nerve to speak to her and one of the first things that came out of her mouth was that I had the beginnings of the jack Nicholson thing with my hair and that she thought that was sexy. I know she was giving me a compliment in her mind, but it set in that night that I was going bald ,which sucked!

I was attending NYU in New York city so we always took taxies everywhere. That Saturday night, the night after I was told that I was going bald, I was taking a taxi uptown and the driver was listening to the radio. It was a show about baldness! That really freaked me out because it was like a sign from God or something. I asked him to turn it up and I heard this mellow sounding guy talking to callers about balding. My first thoughts were that this is a really weird show. When I asked the driver what show was he told me it was called the bald truth. I said you have to be kidding and he said no, it was a good show.

I tuned in the next week and called in. I am sure that Spencer does not remember me but he could not get to my call during the show and took it after the show was over. He talked to me for a long time answering my questions. He was very patient and kind. I began listening every week. It was easier for me when the show went from Saturday to Sunday nights and I went to meet Dr. Robert Bernstein in New Jersey on Spencer’s Advise. Dr. Bernstein put be on Propeica and the rest as they say is history.

I never properly thanked Spencer for helping me that night and for these 11 years. I think I made all the right decisions because of his show and with the help of Dr. Bernstein. There has not been a month that has gone by that I have not listened to the Bald Truth and I followed the show from station to station in New York and purchased XM radio so I can listen. I didn’t realize at the time I could have listen free online

If I could give any of you new guys advise it would be to listen. My hair still looks good for my age which is 29 and I always tell my friends that I take Propecia and I tell them about The Bald Truth. Now I’m telling them to come to this website if they have any questions.

That’s my story. I am probably just another anonymous listener who has been helped by your radio show and you understanding.
    By the way I now live in Los Angeles and would love to buy you a drink to properly thank you some time.

Chris (aka zao)
    Just another notch on your karma belt Spencer.

Cool story!

Spencer, your generosity and dedication to your listenership never ceases to amaze me!

Great story Zao! Glad to hear that Propecia has worked so well for you. I hope many others going thru the early stages of hair loss find your story and get on Propecia --- instead of worrying about the overhyped side affects, or taking any other drastic measures. Very cool that you documented your story!

TeeJay

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Zao View Post

Chris (aka zao)
    Hey Chris,

It’s good to see some of my old school listeners here. Wow, we’ve been on the air for a long time! You’ve been listening since the WABC days when the program was a half hour on Saturday nights. We’ve come a long way since then.

It's good to hear from you and I’m so glad that you’re doing well. Thanks for the kind words and feel free to call the program some time...I’d love to hear how your life has turned out.

Paul and Teejay, thanks for the kind words as well.

Dave, I never said I was never going to drink again.

Thanks for taking the time to write Chiris. I hope you continue to participate on the forum.

Best,
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Come on, I listen to you guys talk about drinking all the time. I'm sure I can get Spencer to have one drink. You're invited too Dave

Seriously, I am very grateful to the show and that I still have a decent amount of hair left. I have been thinking about a hair transplant lately. I would like to fill in my hairline a little.
    Since I'm in LA now I'll be making an appointment to see Dr. McAndrews. Money is a bit of a problem at this point, but by the end of the year I should be all set with that situation.

Chris

I tuned into the show last night and heard you guys talking about me. That was very cool! Spencer I swear that I'm not a nut like spooky Frank. If you want to bring a bodyguard along for that drink I won't mind

I have one question why IS Dave always tired? I heard you razz him about that.

Fun show last night I'll let you guys know when I decide to give Dr. McAndrews a call.

Chris

hey chris, i dont know what it is about sundays, but im always dragging a little bit on sunday night. i dont know if its the drinking on the weekends or the late night gigs on friday and sat. but im always drained when the show rolls around. except for the show, sundays are a bit of a buzz kill for me. maybe we should switch the show to saturday. ill talk to kobren about that

btw, im sure you're a normal guy--and not a creep like that spooky frank character--so we'll definitely have a drink when im in LA.

Default Thanks

Hey Zao-thanks for welcoming me to the site. I look forward to corresponding with the people in the group.

NYJames

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

playsound hi Zao i read your story and..

what a great start to this site. Thanks again for the warm welcome my friend. I see that you have been on Propecia. I am VERY hesitant to take the med due to the possible side effects i have heard about. How has it been for you? I haven't explored the forum yet. Did you have work done? I saw the recent Dennis Miller interview in which he stated he had had a HT of 2500 'plugs' He meant FUEs im sure. I noticed back in the 'old days' when he was on SNL that he was thinning. Over the years i watched closely to his hair after his stint on SNL. Anyway his hair did look good in that interview. Of course we have to keep in mind the added cosmetics and lighting as well. I guess you may be able to tell that i am leaning heavily to having work done. I have seen some great transformations and i have seen and heard of the horrors too. Well enough of my prattling. See you in the neighborhood ~~Artista