Can I still go bald even on Finasteride?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigThinker
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by capitan
    Yeah, I agree completely.

I have friends who have been taking all kinds of steroids, some of which greatly increase DHT levels, and they are solid NW1s.

Unfortunately, just because you are balding doesn't mean you are some testosterone-jacked manly macho man.
    I agree, but hope you'll accept this single anecdote: When my hair loss began, my facial hair (which was already pretty thick) got thicker, I got way leaner even though I didn't change my physical activity levels, I finally became able to gain mass when I lifted weights, and my "unit" changed in a positive way.

I didn't turn into Arnold, but I did become more manly. As I'm approaching 26, I find more and more women are interested in "manly" men - stable, confident, and just possessing manly physical features (dare I say balding?).

Anyways, I know you're young, and it's a different game at your age. I just want you to know it gets better. Stay the course.

Comment

• capitan
      • Oct 2013

Originally posted by BigThinker
      I agree, but hope you'll accept this single anecdote: When my hair loss began, my facial hair (which was already pretty thick) got thicker, I got way leaner even though I didn't change my physical activity levels, I finally became able to gain mass when I lifted weights, and my "unit" changed in a positive way.

I didn't turn into Arnold, but I did become more manly. As I'm approaching 26, I find more and more women are interested in "manly" men - stable, confident, and just possessing manly physical features (dare I say balding?).

Anyways, I know you're young, and it's a different game at your age. I just want you to know it gets better. Stay the course.
      Thanks but this sounds like bad news.

Could it be that I actually am inhibiting this kind of late development you experienced by taking Finasteride?

I am past puberty but my beard and muscle mass still got a long way to go.

When you experienced this "filling-out", were you on Finasteride?

So many catch-22s...

Comment

• BigThinker
        • Oct 2012

Thanks but this sounds like bad news.

Could it be that I actually am inhibiting this kind of late development you experienced by taking Finasteride?

I am past puberty but my beard and muscle mass still got a long way to go.

When you experienced this "filling-out", were you on Finasteride?

So many catch-22s...
        I can't say with certainty. I will say that my body went through marked changes way past adolescent puberty, and it was quite sudden -- age 23.

No, I wasn't on finasteride yet, but I did begin taking it shortly after the changes began. I have not noticed any change in what's been "filled-out" after starting fin either. Ultimately, if you have a physician prescribing you fin and monitoring you, don't stress it.

Just keep after it.

Comment

• mpb47
          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by baldozer
          Estrogen also plays role in hair loss in men, as described by this article.

http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/2011/...hair-loss.html
          That is an interesting theory but most everything else I have ever read says that E promotes scalp hair while retarding body hair and that is supposedly why women generally keep all their hair till around menopause.

Comment

• mpb47
            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by burtandernie
            I think there is some key factor with hair that is hugely understudied or missing having to do with how hair interacts with androgens. However hair is sensitive to the androgens has to play a huge role in this its never been about the levels of androgens as it is how your hair reacts to what you have. Maybe as you age hair develops higher concentrations of receptors or the receptors become more responsive to any androgen presence so even though absolute DHT levels drop off the increased sensitivity more then makes up for it and causes MPB to speed up and progress. It has to be something like that since propecia loses effectiveness over time also so hair adapts to androgen levels its not constant. We lack good studies on how hair is sensitive to androgens though and its a big piece.
            My guess is your receptors - for some reason become more sensitive as you age. Agree we need to find out for sure.

Comment

• capitan
              • Oct 2013

Originally posted by BigThinker
              I can't say with certainty. I will say that my body went through marked changes way past adolescent puberty, and it was quite sudden -- age 23.

No, I wasn't on finasteride yet, but I did begin taking it shortly after the changes began. I have not noticed any change in what's been "filled-out" after starting fin either. Ultimately, if you have a physician prescribing you fin and monitoring you, don't stress it.

Just keep after it.
              Thanks for the level-headed advice. I'll just bring up this topic on my next visit with my doctor.

Good luck with everything man.

Comment

• capitan
                • Oct 2013

So it's been almost 2 years since I started Finasteride. I'm 19 almost 20 now and it feels like just a few months ago I was 17 and holding my first bottle of Finasteride.

I haven't lost any hair at all, I'm 100% sure. I've taken pictures under the same lighting and if anything, I'm pretty sure some of my hair has thickened.

My hairline hasn't receded at all since starting.

I thought I had side-effects the first few months because of all the fear-mongering online, but it was all in my head. Got a hot gf and my boner is rock solid LOL.

So if you're young or not or whatever, and you're thinking about hopping on Finasteride, stop bullshitting and get on it because it really does keep what you have.

I had very aggressive hairloss before fin. Went from like a NW1 to a NW2 with apparent thinning in like 5 months and I was only 16-17.

Now I don't even worry about that shit. My hair is at least as good as it was 2 years ago and the NW2 doesn't look back with my wavy dark hair. Plus a good haircut goes a long way too (2 on the sides and leave some volume up top). I'm grateful because I already know if I hadn't gone on Finasteride I'd look like a 19 going on 38 year old.

So everything is great, Finasteride is awesome even 2 years later, and I'll update this in a year.

Comment

• BaldingHelpMe
                  • Sep 2015

So everything is great, Finasteride is awesome even 2 years later, and I'll update this in a year.
                  Congrats! You started young, and it's smart. If fin works for you, keep taking it forever. Don't be stupid like me switching to dut. Once you switched, the shedding begins again, and God knows when it's going to stop...

Comment

• dutchguyhanging
                    • Mar 2015

So it's been almost 2 years since I started Finasteride. I'm 19 almost 20 now and it feels like just a few months ago I was 17 and holding my first bottle of Finasteride.

I haven't lost any hair at all, I'm 100% sure. I've taken pictures under the same lighting and if anything, I'm pretty sure some of my hair has thickened.

My hairline hasn't receded at all since starting.

I thought I had side-effects the first few months because of all the fear-mongering online, but it was all in my head. Got a hot gf and my boner is rock solid LOL.

So if you're young or not or whatever, and you're thinking about hopping on Finasteride, stop bullshitting and get on it because it really does keep what you have.

I had very aggressive hairloss before fin. Went from like a NW1 to a NW2 with apparent thinning in like 5 months and I was only 16-17.

Now I don't even worry about that shit. My hair is at least as good as it was 2 years ago and the NW2 doesn't look back with my wavy dark hair. Plus a good haircut goes a long way too (2 on the sides and leave some volume up top). I'm grateful because I already know if I hadn't gone on Finasteride I'd look like a 19 going on 38 year old.

only one question: how long are you planning to take fin by considering the cure is 30years away approx?

Comment

• burtandernie
                      • Nov 2012

Cure 30 years away? Sure, but there will be other treatments out in the next 5 or less most likely or 10 tops so you wont need to take it forever. I would guess 5 years max there will be other things to consider. You wont need a cure if your keeping the hair you have right now. If you were NW 7 than your in a more dire situation and its a much longer wait there.

Comment

• capitan
                        • Oct 2013

I'll never switch to dutasteride. I'll stay on Finasteride for as long as I want though. The only way I'll stop is if I just randomly start balding again or I get side effects. I don't think the side effects will ever happen since its been 2 years without them. And if I start balding again well then game over tbh. I'll enjoy the time I have now that I'm not losing hair anymore for as long as it lasts. I have a feeling I'll probably be taking it for another 15-20 years though.

Comment

Working...