Dermarolling Community Trial

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chromeo
    • Dec 2012

We definitely do not need everybody to stick to replicating the study. Enough of us are already doing that. Be thankful for the guys who are willing to try variations on the theme; regardless of whether their results are positive or negative, the information is useful. If they are willing to take risks to find out what works and what doesn't, we can only be thankful.

Comment

• DesperateOne
      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Tracy C
      Actually, I like your hairstyle the way it is now. Why not just maintain that hair style from now on as you continue to participate in this trial?

Get someone to help you with photos. Use a good quality camera and do your best to keep the lighting and backgrounds consistent.
      Okay, that sounds good to me, but I don't think I'm going to get anyone to help me with the photos, not the kind of thing I want to ask help for.

Comment

• DesperateOne
        • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Chromeo
        We definitely do not need everybody to stick to replicating the study. Enough of us are already doing that. Be thankful for the guys who are willing to try variations on the theme; regardless of whether their results are positive or negative, the information is useful. If they are willing to take risks to find out what works and what doesn't, we can only be thankful.
        That is so true, they are taking risks and we should go faster thanks to them. Granted statistically speaking, there will be some horror stories like anything else. Some of the things being tried in addition to he study are very logical and should work better IMO. Personally, I would add more stuff if I had the money, I am unemployed and it is so nerve racking having to find a job looking like this, I sometimes feel like I have cancer and getting chemo therapy. Anyways, I will have no choice but to get a job so I can buy some of these products. On that note, anyone willing to help a NW brother in the LA area with a job? Haha, worth a try.

Comment

• Tracy C
          • Sep 2011

We definitely do not need everybody to stick to replicating the study.
          Of course not.

Enough of us are already doing that.
          No there are not enough who are already doing that. This was not a full study. This was only a pilot study, so there needs to be many more participants spread out over a much wider area and the duration needs to be at least six months in order to verify the findings of that pilot study.

I want the results of this pilot study to be true. I want to see good quality proof that it is true. I want to see thousands of men and hundreds of women participating in the efforts to reproduce the results of this pilot study. I want to see good quality before and good quality 6-month after photos plastered all over the place. Then it is appropriate to move forward with experimenting to attempt to improve the results.

However, no one is required to do what is most appropriate. It is your scalp. Do what you want with it.

Comment

• thinningTooSoon
            • Aug 2013

Did my first session tonight with a 1.5mm roller. It didn't feel like the needles were going all the way in but I did get some bleeding, has anyone else experienced this?

Comment

• DesperateOne
              • Jul 2013

new pics

Okay so I have taken new pictures with the same light as before. I put the before which are only 3 that I have and the new ones. If anything, well I will just use the new ones as a reference point. New ones have more resolution.

Old 5/4 months as of today(pics are done right after derma rolling, that's why my scalp is red and maybe some blood):

New:

back:

sides(This disease also has affected my sides, even worse ):

top view

Comment

• Conpecia
                • Sep 2011

dude, it LOOKS like you have pretty good regrowth but it's difficult to tell because of the resolution and the redness. but your hair definitely looks thicker in the second set. it's certainly not getting any worse, so that's good for being on something that many months. maintenance is a great thing in itself. i'd say this is pretty good news for you.

Comment

• DesperateOne
                  • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Conpecia
                  dude, it LOOKS like you have pretty good regrowth but it's difficult to tell because of the resolution and the redness. but your hair definitely looks thicker in the second set. it's certainly not getting any worse, so that's good for being on something that many months. maintenance is a great thing in itself. i'd say this is pretty good news for you.
                  Yes and I feel it thicker too, I had to bit the bullet and buzz it that short because I knew it would help the dermarolling and the application. But I think you're confused, it's not 4-5 months it's a month and 1 week, it was intended to be a fraction 5/4 .

Comment

• Chromeo
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Tracy C
                    No there are not enough who are already doing that. This was not a full study. This was only a pilot study, so there needs to be many more participants spread out over a much wider area and the duration needs to be at least six months in order to verify the findings of that pilot study.

I want the results of this pilot study to be true. I want to see good quality proof that it is true. I want to see thousands of men and hundreds of women participating in the efforts to reproduce the results of this pilot study. I want to see good quality before and good quality 6-month after photos plastered all over the place. Then it is appropriate to move forward with experimenting to attempt to improve the results.

However, no one is required to do what is most appropriate. It is your scalp. Do what you want with it.
                    Good post. I stand corrected, I thought a lot of us were following the study to the T like I am. Hopefully there are at least a good number of us who are. I'm happy that there are other people going above and beyond. Who else is copying the study exactly? We need to get some numbers, here. I'm going into my 5th rolling session tonight with the 1.5mm needles. It's early days, but I have to say it really looks like it is working. I think those of us who shave our heads are the most likely to see the results, if we're taking pics. Far more difficult to tell if you're looking at a fairly full head of hair & just wanting it to be thicker.

I can clearly see that the hairs I have are coming through blacker and thicker in areas where the growth was pretty poor previously. PrettyFly83's pics are indicative of what this can do. It's slow progress but progress nonetheless. I'm sorry but people who are saying "That's just a shaven-down scalp compared to hair that is slightly grown in" are wrong. That is a bald scalp that is beginning to regrow thick, dark hairs. I am seeing it myself on my own scalp. I don't know how far we can go with this, but it does work.

Tracy C, I have read your posts before and I understand why you would feel a need to kick back against those who have kicked against you and verbally abused you along the way. I have to say I have the utmost respect for you and I welcome your contribution here every bit as much as I do every other person who posts here. I want this cure for you as much as I want it for every other male who posts on this board, maybe even a little bit more. Fingers crossed this is something that really works for us all.

Comment

• Chromeo
                      • Dec 2012

Just got done with rolling session #5. I've had a skinful of booze tonight, and anyone who says that stuff doesn't hurt is straight-up smoking crack.

Comment

• KeepHoping
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DesperateOne
                        Yes and I feel it thicker too, I had to bit the bullet and buzz it that short because I knew it would help the dermarolling and the application. But I think you're confused, it's not 4-5 months it's a month and 1 week, it was intended to be a fraction 5/4 .
                        I'm also a diffuse thinner with a bit of recession and I just did my second rolling session... Not sure if I'm doing it correctly though, I seem to be rolling for quite a bit of time and my scalp doesn't get as red as yours, it does get a bit read but not to the same extent. Can you tell me how you use the dermaroller DesperateOne?

Comment

• DesperateOne
                          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by KeepHoping
                          I'm also a diffuse thinner with a bit of recession and I just did my second rolling session... Not sure if I'm doing it correctly though, I seem to be rolling for quite a bit of time and my scalp doesn't get as red as yours, it does get a bit read but not to the same extent. Can you tell me how you use the dermaroller DesperateOne?
                          Of course, we need to help each other as much as possible. First, let me just let you know that I am very sensitive, my skin gets red very fast regardless of derma rolling, for example, I tend to blush very easily, so don't feel discouraged because you don't see the same redness.

To your point, I will let you know how I do it and then try to back it up with my opinion why I think this is the best way.

Sun (Shower with nizoral or regenepure shampoo before the derma rolling. As some have pointed out, they reduce inflammation which may render the procedure less effective, that's why I use it at the very end, when the scalp is recovered.) I then go on to derma roll. (I will explain my technique bellow). No rogain this day.

Mon Rogain foam(2x a day, one morning, one at night) and about 15 mins of light absorption in my scalp and a vitamin D3 pill

Tues "

Wed "

Thur "

Fri "

Sat "

I have been also taking fin for the last 3 years, so 1.25mg a day. I would recommend that you use lipogaine rather than rogaine if you have the money, I just bough some and will be using it instead on some days, and then the regular foam and kirkland one more to reduce the cost.

Technique: I have essentially given up on the rolling technique the 2nd week. Like many have pointed out, it might now go all the way through. So now I take about an hour or more (because I have to do the entire scalp) and just go one press at a time until I hear the velcro sound and make sure it goes all the way in. I did it today, and I can tell you that it didn't get as red, yet it still hurt as hell and feel very sore. I also do a bit of regular rolling towards the end just to try and create some more trauma. Good luck.

Comment

• KeepHoping
                            • Dec 2010

Thanks for the detailed response man, ever considered a topical anesthetic like lidocaine? I'm wondering if that would effect the procedure at all...? Mine gets a little red but the redness subsides pretty quickly from what I can observe so I'm not sure if I'm actually doing it properly and I'm considering a topical anesthetic just to make it less of an awful ordeal hahahahah.

Comment

• DesperateOne
                              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by KeepHoping
                              Thanks for the detailed response man, ever considered a topical anesthetic like lidocaine? I'm wondering if that would effect the procedure at all...? Mine gets a little red but the redness subsides pretty quickly from what I can observe so I'm not sure if I'm actually doing it properly and I'm considering a topical anesthetic just to make it less of an awful ordeal hahahahah.
                              lol I know it hurts like hell but I have seen in a few places that you should not use any of that because it may cause nerve damage. If you do then you need to consult a qualified dermatologist, to tell you the truth I doubt they will know.

Comment

• doke
                                • Jun 2009

how do you guys know if tracy is a woman as it maybe a man?

Comment

Working...