Losing my hair at only age 18 (pictures attached)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tracy C
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by hairysituation
    Ok, but is there more risk to reconstruct a juveline hairline than any other hair transplant procedures?
    The risks to your physical health are the same. The point is taking that risk for so little perceived benefit is pointless and possibly reckless. The phrase "short term gain long term pain" applies here. You may find it very difficult to find an ethical doctor who will do this for you. You could probably find a doctor with questionable ethics and skills who will do it for you - but you really don't want to do that.

But when I turn old, my looks are not important anyway and I think it will excist a cure against boldness before I have turned 40.
    It is very unwise to rely on what might happen. The truth is you do not need a hair transplant right now. You will not gain any appreciable benefit from the surgery and the risk of having the surgery outweighs your perceived benefit.

Find an ethical doctor and talk to the doctor about it. Maybe the doctor can explain it better than we can. Here is a link to help you find an ethical doctor.

Comment

• 25 going on 65
      • Sep 2010

Ok, thanks for taking the time to answering me.
      But if I decided to take a hair transplant and I'm scared for the hair behind my hairline to dissapear, can't I just take Propecia? I've read that this drug prevent further hair loss and also, in some cases, øroducing new hairs (especially in the crown area).

Second of all, I seem to have read somewhere that you now can check when you're going to lose your hair by a DNA sample or something simular.
      Yes you could take finasteride (Propecia), but its effectiveness varies from person to person. The drug also tends to lose its effectiveness after X number of years (this depends on the individual as well; for some it loses effectiveness after 3 years, while for others it takes more than 10-12).

I do believe there's a way to test your genetic susceptibility to hair loss. I'm not so sure it can tell you when the gene will trigger, though.

If you're really intent on pursuing this, I would strongly recommend following Tracy's advice about talking to an IAHRS doctor.

Comment

• Tracy C
        • Sep 2011

...can't I just take Propecia? I've read that this drug prevent further hair loss and also, in some cases, producing new hairs (especially in the crown area).
        Propecia blocks the hormone that does the damage to hair follicles that triggers hereditary hair loss. The medicine does not care where on your head those hair follicles are. Propecia does not "produce" new hairs. What Propecia does is it "allows" hair follicles that can still grow hair to grow hair - but it does not stimulate them to do so. Rogaine stimulates hair follciles that can still grow hair to start growing hair again.

You need to talk to your doctor if you think Propecia might be right for you. All medications have possible side effects and Propecia is no different. Make sure you understand what those possible side effects are and what your chances of experiencing them might be before you decide if Propecia is right for you. If you do decide Propecia is right for you, you can save a lot of money by asking the doctor to write the prescription for generic Finasteride. It's the same medication only a whole lot less expensive.

For now, go get yourself some Nizoral A-D shampoo and use it twice per week in place of your regular shampoo. The active ingredient in Nizoral is a mild anti-androgen that may be able to block the hormone that triggers hereditary hair loss at the scalp. In the U.S., you do not need a prescription to get Nizoral A-D and you can find it at almost any pharmacy.

Comment

• ryan555
          • Oct 2010

Listen to me, because I did the WRONG thing in your situation. I started receding in my hairline when I was 19 and went and got a hair transplant! I completely regretted it and ended up having all the grafts removed through several expensive and somewhat painful procedures.

First off, you probably are just developing a mature hairline and you're most likely not going bald. I know this seems like it's a really terrible thing to an 18 year old, but I promise you that over the next few years you will notice most of your friends going through the same thing. And by the time you're in your late 20's or 30's, you will not mind having a slightly higher hairline because it adds masculinity and character to your face.

If you are really worried about it, go to a one of the recommended hair transplant doctors that you can look up on this site and have them check your hair for miniaturization. And when they tell you that you should not be considering a hair transplant, do NOT go to a hair transplant chain and get one anyway. The good doctors will tell you if you have genetic baldness kicking in and if so, you can think about taking Propecia. That drug will probably stop your hair loss in its tracks for the next few years until a better solution comes to the market. I firmly believe that men your age will never have to live as a bald person unless they want to.

Try to relax. I know how terrible you are feeling right now because I was in the exact same spot 15 years ago. You probably have nothing at all to worry about and even if you are thinning, there is a lot you can do about it.

Comment

• hairysituation
            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by ryan555
            Listen to me, because I did the WRONG thing in your situation. I started receding in my hairline when I was 19 and went and got a hair transplant! I completely regretted it and ended up having all the grafts removed through several expensive and somewhat painful procedures.

First off, you probably are just developing a mature hairline and you're most likely not going bald. I know this seems like it's a really terrible thing to an 18 year old, but I promise you that over the next few years you will notice most of your friends going through the same thing. And by the time you're in your late 20's or 30's, you will not mind having a slightly higher hairline because it adds masculinity and character to your face.

If you are really worried about it, go to a one of the recommended hair transplant doctors that you can look up on this site and have them check your hair for miniaturization. And when they tell you that you should not be considering a hair transplant, do NOT go to a hair transplant chain and get one anyway. The good doctors will tell you if you have genetic baldness kicking in and if so, you can think about taking Propecia. That drug will probably stop your hair loss in its tracks for the next few years until a better solution comes to the market. I firmly believe that men your age will never have to live as a bald person unless they want to.

Try to relax. I know how terrible you are feeling right now because I was in the exact same spot 15 years ago. You probably have nothing at all to worry about and even if you are thinning, there is a lot you can do about it.
            Ok, why did you regret it?
            And I don't see the big problem of at least filling in my widows peaks,I see people do it all the time on videos and pictures online. For example look at this: http://fellermedical.com/image-gallery#/1/77
            And dr feller has a reputation of beeing a etnichal doctor.

Comment

• Jan 2012

And I don't see the big problem of at least filling in my widows peaks,I see people do it all the time on videos and pictures online.
              because you will continue to bald no matter what!
              The hair behind the transplant will continue to thin and eventually stop growing then what? Another transplant?

Your best options: fin + nizoral. That will buy you another 5-10 years of no hair loss and by then there should be a "cure"

Comment

• Tracy C
                • Sep 2011

He continued losing native hair behind the transplanted hair. This is part of the "Short term gain long term pain" problem we are trying to tell you about.

And I don't see the big problem of at least filling in my widows peaks,I see people do it all the time on videos and pictures online. And dr feller has a reputation of beeing a etnichal doctor.
                You are misinterpreting what you are seeing. Your hair line is no where near the level of recession you are seeing in that picture. The person in that picture could obviously benefit from a hair transplant. Notice that Dr. Feller did not recreate a juvenile hair line.

Comment

• ryan555
                  • Oct 2010

And I don't see the big problem of at least filling in my widows peaks,I see people do it all the time on videos and pictures online. For example look at this: http://fellermedical.com/image-gallery#/1/77
                  And dr feller has a reputation of beeing a etnichal doctor.
                  I regretted it for a couple of reasons. First, yes, I continued to lose some hair behind the grafts with time. Second, I had a very low hairline and a massive head of hair as a teenager. This just didn't look "right" on me as an adult. It looked feminine to be honest.

Dr. Feller is a very ethical doctor and he would NEVER perform surgery on you to give you back your childhood hairline at 18 years old. I don't want to speak for the doctor, but I can guarantee you there are only a couple of scenarios in which he would transplant a juvenile hairline on anyone. The first would be an older guy who has shown no hair loss for many years and who has no miniaturization behind his hairline. The second would be a younger guy (like mid-20's or older) who has committed to Propecia for life and who has completely stabilized the hair loss for at least a few years. Even in these cases, he would probably advise against it and tell them that their hair loss will eventually continue and they will need to have additional transplants to fill in the areas of additional loss.

I am going to say it again. No ethical doctor would EVER operate on an 18-year-old who is not even on medication to stop hair loss, that is, if you even have genetic hair loss. Just put it out of your mind.

Comment

• Tracy C
                    • Sep 2011

...but I can guarantee you there are only a couple of scenarios in which he would transplant a juvenile hairline on anyone.
                    There is a third scenario. Doctors will create a juvenile hairline for males who are transgendered and actively in the process of gender reassignment.

This just didn't look "right" on me as an adult. It looked feminine to be honest.
                    ... and this is why.

Comment

• hairysituation
                      • Feb 2012

Thanks for everyones answers!
                      This is a few years forward, but if Histogens product becomes successful, is it then responsible to have a FUE procedure done? Because futher hairloss will be prevented.

Comment

• Tracy C
                        • Sep 2011

If the regenerative treatments work, you won't even need hair restoration surgery.

Comment

• hairysituation
                          • Feb 2012

That's interesting, so they think they can reconstruct my hairline if everything goes as planned, only using Histogen's product.

Comment

• Tracy C
                            • Sep 2011

You are just not getting this are you?

Comment

• hairysituation
                              • Feb 2012

Is it because they can regrow sleeping hair follicles and the sleeping follicles are "representing" my hair line? If this is not the answers then I don't know.
                              Sorry for beeing a little stupid and new to these hairloss related subjects, but I swear, I'm a brilliant student, lol

Comment

• Tracy C
                                • Sep 2011

O.K., your not getting it. I don't really know why your no getting it but your not getting it.

There is nothing wrong with your hair line. You have a natural and normal adult male hair line. This is one of the physical traits that differ between males and females like bigger hands, bigger feet, deeper voice, wider shoulders, thicker body har, facial hair and so on. It is both natural and normal. You do not need a hair transplant.

Comment

Working...