Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fred970
    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by tedwuji
    Of course there are risks. I stated that there are risks in my post.

My post was saying that my dilemma is: "are those risks worth it given i am a Nor2.5?"
    In my opinion, no. Wait until you're past NW3, then you'll be considered a bald man and the benefits will outweigh the risks.

Comment

• barfacan
      • Feb 2015

OP, don't forget -- It's still SURGERY, and any form of surgery carries risks. It's not a joke.

Comment

• fred970
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by barfacan
        OP, don't forget -- It's still SURGERY, and any form of surgery carries risks. It's not a joke.
        I was more wary of the risks involved with being bald at 24 years old when I took the plunge for my hair transplant.

Comment

• barfacan
          • Feb 2015

Congratulations; facts still remain the same -- all surgery carries risks which should not simply be ignored especially when you are young, bald, and are desperate for change. There's always a possibility to become an unfortunate statistic, if that's a risk you're willing to take, go for it, good surgeons will usually yield good results.

Comment

• tedwuji
            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by fred970
            In my opinion, no. Wait until you're past NW3, then you'll be considered a bald man and the benefits will outweigh the risks.
            Yeah, I was kinda leaning towards this conclusion. Thanks for the input.

Comment

• tedwuji
              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by barfacan
              Congratulations; facts still remain the same -- all surgery carries risks which should not simply be ignored especially when you are young, bald, and are desperate for change. There's always a possibility to become an unfortunate statistic, if that's a risk you're willing to take, go for it, good surgeons will usually yield good results.
              Barfcan, well said. But what would you define as "young"? A 50 year old man may say I am young at 32, while a 21 year old guy might disagree.

Nor2.5 @ age32. Do the risks outweight the potential rewards? What u think?

Comment

• tedwuji
                • Jun 2014

I was more wary of the risks involved with being bald at 24 years old when I took the plunge for my hair transplant.
                Do ypu regret "taking the plunge" ?

Comment

• fred970
                  • Nov 2009

Originally posted by tedwuji
                  Do ypu regret "taking the plunge" ?
                  No, it makes my life infinitely more bearable even though it was just a band-aid.

I was NW5 and I had 2000 grafts for the whole area so, it's not a miracle. But it was enough to get me out of the "bald" category.

The back of my head is now almost a NW6 and I will need a second hair transplant to keep a certain... uniformity.

Comment

• tedwuji
                    • Jun 2014

No, it makes my life infinitely more bearable even though it was just a band-aid.

I was NW5 and I had 2000 grafts for the whole area so, it's not a miracle. But it was enough to get me out of the "bald" category.

The back of my head is now almost a NW6 and I will need a second hair transplant to keep a certain... uniformity.
                    Did u get FUE? U said 24 when u got it, how old are you now and have you been using Fin?

Comment

• tedwuji
                      • Jun 2014

I think I may wait until Norwood 3 and then go strip... I am a bit adverse to FUE because I agree with Spencer and Tillman when they say to get most grafts lifetime you must use strip first. I want maximum hair lifetime.

Either Hasson & Wong or Rahal for his killer hairlines.

Comment

• tedwuji
                        • Jun 2014

Hoping PiloFocus is available by the time I am 35.

I haven't lost any hair since I started fin 5 years ago. If I hit 35 and Im still a Nor 2.5 as I have been since Fin, ill just get a hair transplant regardless.

I say this because at that point the risk of being in a situation where i dont have donor hair to spare seems exceedingly unlikely. Especially if i am willing to maximize graft numbers by using a hybrid extraction technique over the longterm (maybe 2or3 strip surgies and a final FUE after I am stripped out over the course of my life).

PiloFocus would be good tho bc i would minimize risks further by avoiding scar and still be able to shave if everything goes to hell after im 50 or fin stops working etc.

Also i really wanna thicken up the hairline even more than i wanna lower it. Minaturization mapping and hair bulk analysis done by Doctor Rassman in Los Angeles said i lost 38% density in the leading 3 inches of my scalp. I dont want my hairline any lower than a classic norwood 2 esque "mature hairline" typical for a non-balding adult caucasian male. I simply want to increase density in the area and as i said maybe lower 1-2cm because im a bit higher than a legit Norwood 2.0

Any other guys adverse to FUE for the reason of wanting to completely maximize donor hair from the sweet spot?

Comment

• Swooping
                          • May 2014

FUT is dying in terms of consumer demand. The popularity is sharply decreasing. I still do think FUT has a edge towards FUE in terms of yield and has less variability, but it's minimal imo. There isn't a scientific answer to this though, because of so many variables.

Maximizing donor hair is a good strategy if you are a advanced norwood or you are not on any medication and are likely to undergo multiple surgeries in the future. I don't see why someone being a bit older who is on finasteride and a norwood 2.5, should think of a "long term" plan especially considering he wants to go for a bit of a conservative hairline. That sounds like pure nonsense to me personally. I would find the reasoning of going for FUT better in this case if you want a higher chance of getting a higher yield and aim for a somewhat "safer" route in terms of cosmetic result. Although with that comes a linear scar obviously.

The difference between maximum graft lifetime potential with FUT + FUE combination isn't that big in comparison to FUE only in my opinion. Especially if you deviate from the "safe donor area" (fallacy btw) with FUE. Not big enough at least to worry about if you are of a low norwood, somewhat older of age and you are on medication.

Comment

• tedwuji
                            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Swooping
                            FUT is dying in terms of consumer demand. The popularity is sharply decreasing. I still do think FUT has a edge towards FUE in terms of yield and has less variability, but it's minimal imo. There isn't a scientific answer to this though, because of so many variables.

Maximizing donor hair is a good strategy if you are a advanced norwood or you are not on any medication and are likely to undergo multiple surgeries in the future. I don't see why someone being a bit older who is on finasteride and a norwood 2.5, should think of a "long term" plan especially considering he wants to go for a bit of a conservative hairline. That sounds like pure nonsense to me personally. I would find the reasoning of going for FUT better in this case if you want a higher chance of getting a higher yield and aim for a somewhat "safer" route in terms of cosmetic result. Although with that comes a linear scar obviously.

The difference between maximum graft lifetime potential with FUT + FUE combination isn't that big in comparison to FUE only in my opinion. Especially if you deviate from the "safe donor area" (fallacy btw) with FUE. Not big enough at least to worry about if you are of a low norwood, somewhat older of age and you are on medication.
                            I have 45 to 50 years more of balding process to think about before I expire, trying to conserve grafts is never nonsense.

Comment

• kim889
                              • Dec 2015

I know HT can only bring 25% of the hair back but with a HT, is it possible for a man to look like a non balding man? I think it's very rare that someone use all his donor area.

Comment

• tedwuji
                                • Jun 2014

more like 12.5% as 25% would be the full horseshoe. and about half of that is available for HT.

Comment

Working...