Scar Grafting with Dr Cole

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • northeastguy
    • Feb 2012

@ Gillenator ..... I can only hope your right. If I've had this much growth at 6 months, I'm excited to see what I'll end up with at 12. I'm also going expect the texture of the hair to improve. It's a little fine right now but as it grows I'm thinking I should see some improvement.

@ Topcat ..... Far from making this decision yet but I'm still not 100% sold on using high quantity of beard hair. Both the longterm healing of the face and the how it will blend with my existing scalp hair are my hold ups. Not sure if others have seen the show airing on The Discovery Channel. It's called Beard Wars. In a nutshell it a bunch of guys competing for the longest beard. Really bad show but My point? every one of them displays how vastly different in texture, wave, and color beard hair is to scalp hair. Honestly I'm hoping we can tap into scalp hair one more time and be done. I do expect to use beard hair in my second pass at some level. How much will be up to Dr Cole. Right now I have time.

@ Artista ..... thanks for the compliment. I am happy so far but I'm looking to make these scars history. I still have a couple more steps and one includes another pass with FUE. Ever paint a room and after the first coat you look and think wow that looks great, I may not even need another coat! Then you go ahead and hit it with a 2nd coat and the improvement is night and day..... that's what I'm shooting for. Right now I toy with options I might have after the 2 procedures mostly because I have a lot of time between now and then.

@ ejj ..... your completely correct. It's nice knowing that no one has a clue there are big scars back there. I do notice the difference in scar color as time passes. especially the top one. it almost completely blends.

Comment

• John P. Cole, MD
      • Dec 2008

Everyone's reaction to their strip scars is different. Some don't care. Others have wide scars that developed after several strip procedures and they are bothered by them. The seek action. The desired action also varies. I had one patient with a wide strip scar that we placed 200 hairs off the side of his thigh back in 2003. He had a very nice yield, which is totally unpredictable with body hair transplants (except Beard hair), and was completely satisfied with his results. He quit treating the scar and turned to moving body hair to the top even though his strip scar had only a thin covering of thigh hair. Then there are other guys who want the scar to look similar to what it did prior to surgery. These guys will often make multiple passes although they are progressively smaller in size because there is less surface area to treat. Then you have everyone else in between these extremes.

You should have more growth to come, but you should also be over 50% by now. Scars do accept grafts quite well. Scars take on an appearance more like native skin and if the scar was red, grafting is the only way to reduce the color typically.

Beard works very well and is quite predictable. the problem with beard hair is that it can look so wavy and coarse that some people don't like the appearance of beard hair. Some love it. Again, the reaction has two extremes.

I'd give it to the one year mark and then decide.

Comment

• ejj
        • Dec 2010

Have you moved hair from the stomach area as i have plenty there and little on my chest ? i wonder if the yeild would be worth giving it a go , would love to see some photos of the thigh hair if poss

I saw Dr Panine did a patient with strip were he removed underarm hair, either arm ,two strips i always wonder what happened as never got an update any thoughts on this ?

thanks Dr

ejj

Comment

• northeastguy
          • Feb 2012

6 months

Thanks for the input Doc. 6 months and all is going great..... Had my second cut with a 4 guard and it looks much better than it did just 2 weeks ago. I want to say it looks like 80% growth at this point but I'm sure I'm being a little optomistic or just extremely happy with how it's progressing at this point. It's impressive since we used 1 and 2 hair grafts. I have no regrets with my decision to graft into the scars rather than do a revision. I've included a video but the quality is so so. I'll give it a go outside in some sunlight soon.
          Attached Files

Comment

• northeastguy
            • Feb 2012

..... well if anyone knows how to upload a film clip, let me know.

Comment

• northeastguy
              • Feb 2012

Here it is....

Comment

• VictimOfDHT
                • Apr 2011

Looks really good especially in the pic on the right. Just wondering, what was the total number of grafts from the 5 previous HTs?

Comment

• inspects
                  • Aug 2012

Originally posted by VictimOfDHT
                  Looks really good especially in the pic on the right. Just wondering, what was the total number of grafts from the 5 previous HTs?
                  I also agree, looks Great, Dr Cole did a fantastic job...!

Comment

• ejj
                    • Dec 2010

said it earlier , the growth looks great , you look normal again , outstanding result !

ejj

Comment

• northeastguy
                      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by VictimOfDHT
                      I had about 900 grafts taken from the lower scar using micro and mini grafts in the early to mid 90's. then a little over 2000-2100 grafts done via FUT over 2 procedures from 98-2001. I may be off by a year or so. As far as I'm concerned, 5 procedures and only 3000 grafts is a complete waste of donor.... And I had a great donor supply. By far the worse is 900 grafts over 3 strip procedures.

Comment

• Artista
                        • Apr 2010

Amazing work -thank you for sharing

Comment

• chrisdav
                          • Oct 2011

Well done Northeastguy.

Looks much improved.

Comment

• Oct 2011

Originally posted by northeastguy

I also had an interest in using PRP and Acell to increase the survival rate of the grafts.

From 1993 to 2000 I had 5 total strip procedures leaving me with 2 large scars on the back of my head. Top scar was 19.5cm x .5cm and bottom was 15.5 x .5cm.
                            Hey northeastguy,
                            unfortunately, I have a similar story to report ...

The only differences are

- that I started with FUT procedures 2 years earlier than you;
                            - having 1 scar more than you;
                            - and at least 2 scars of them are -interestingly- not as wide than your scars - but still wide enough for being "just pencil thin scars".

Anyway, 3 days ago I have started (experimental) to fill them up with at least 10 test grafts into the fattest scar (visible in the photo on the left side, buttom scar). Even if these grafts grow indeed in the scar, and even if I would fill the scar up completely (~35-40 grafts/cm² or so), I doubt that the scars will be "undetectable" when I wear the hair very very short as I wear it now.
                            The problem is, I think, that as soon as I get a scar, my scars are always almost WHITE like snow.

So the only way I can see to fix such scars safely, is to fill them up with normal scalp hair (as tested now with 10 scalp hair grafts) and tattooing them thereafter - or doing nothing and wear my hair always long enough until I die. On the other hand, until recently, I have never ever shaved my whole head, but in the meanwhile, I've just start liking my new style ...

So, what?

Comment

• Stevie R
                              • Aug 2012

Man that looks great, I think your off on the grades though, that looks like a 3 grade or lower! Honestly, if your color is good I think after next time you can get down to a zero if you wanted, but I know you don't care about that so I'd say your definitely gonna get what you want man, I saw a little space but the linear line is long gone brother, congrats. What percentage does Dr. Cole think you have growing at the moment? Cause if you got only like 60 percent, you may be fixed without a second session man, anyway, great stuff, keep us in the loop.

Comment

• VictimOfDHT
                                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by northeastguy
                                I had about 900 grafts taken from the lower scar using micro and mini grafts in the early to mid 90's. then a little over 2000-2100 grafts done via FUT over 2 procedures from 98-2001. I may be off by a year or so. As far as I'm concerned, 5 procedures and only 3000 grafts is a complete waste of donor.... And I had a great donor supply. By far the worse is 900 grafts over 3 strip procedures.

Well, don't feel bad. My first HT was done by the thieves and crooks at Bosley long time ago. Believe it or not those bastards were more than happy to do 300 grafts and charge me $ 3000 for it even though back then I virtually had a full head of hair except maybe less than 1/5 of an inch on either side of my temples.

I've had 5 HTs in the following 10 years after that and the biggest was 1700 grafts. The rest were all 700-800. The most recent one only a week ago (750 grafts). So, in total 6 HTs (including that small one at Bosley) but altogether around 5000 grafts. Luckily, I had thick black hair that hid the scar pretty well, well, until I came to H&W when dr.Wong brought it to my attention that the scar was actually wide (it was a result of HT done by another doctor). Thankfully, he fixed my scar when I had my HT with him a few years ago and even did more work on it -even though it wasnt that bad- last week when I went for another HT. Thanks dr. Wong.

But yeah, when you keep going in for smaller HTs it makes things harder and more frustrating. The thing is, there was no way in hell I was going to wait for my head to look bald before I started doing something about it.

I'm glad things worked out well for you and now you look you never got any HTs even though I know it must have cost a lot to just do the repair.

Comment

Working...