X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisis
    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by rjg1
    hi Chrisis,

I'm new to this forum, have you since noticed any side effects subsiding?

Thanks!
    Yeah very slowly! I still have less sensitivity and take longer to... you know.

There's not a single doubt in my head that it's 100% down to finasteride.

Originally posted by clandestine
    chrisis; found a post that might be of some interest to you.
    Thanks clandestine. I'm just giving it time and hoping it'll all go back to normal. I'm about 80% function maybe. I try not to obsess on it, because that probably won't help. I can't forget about it though. The symptoms are as obvious to me as asking an amputee to forget he has a missing leg. I've no doubt given my experience that finasteride is a dangerous drug and one day I'll be vindicated. There's no way to know if you'll be in the % affected, so roll the dice: you feeling lucky punk?

Comment

• fab
      • Mar 2012

I took Finasteride 1mg for 10 years, I wanted to write my experience.

I'm also suffering from ED, loss of libido, lack of sex drive. Never had a problem that i noticed before, only noticed a year back it was slowly becoming a problem.

What I want to add is: Please go see a doctor, urologist, what ever it is, and do all the blood work for everything including thyroid function (there is a list of exams you can google), prostate ultrasound, urine exams, everything that can be done to see the root of the problem. Then come here and report your findings.

In my case, I took Finasteride and after 10 years I had problems, googled and assumed it's finasteride, but I'm going to do the exams to confirm that theory. And then come here and report.

I believe that Finasteride aggravates and/or generates problems that will cause the sexual dysfunction and these needs to be addressed.

I believe I have prostatitis (don't know how i acquired that). I'm going to do an ultrasound and will let you all know. This might have an effect on my ED, on top of finasteride.

My free T was also low, this as well has something to do.

So, in conclusion, It's not only Finasteride, it can be many other factors.

Comment

• tizzle
        • Apr 2012

I made the account only to share this.

I startet losing hair very quick so i started to take finasteride 1.25 mg each day. My Doctor told me that sexual sides are often only in the head. But i took it over two months with no sides an i didnt give it another thought. So when i started to get less hard erections, it was definitely caused by Fin.

So i lowered the dose to 0.6 and within 1 week i got all my "strenght" back
        I guess i came back so fast because i have been taking it for only 3 month before reducing the dose.

I am aware that on the DHT scale, 0.6 ist reducing DHT almost as much as 1mg. Therefore sides should be the same, since the sides are caused by lowering DHT right?

But nevertheless i wanted to share that in my case reducing the dose made all my sides go away

Unfortunately i think my hair loss isnt much better yet. Since reducing the dose i started Minoxidil too out of despair But i only startet in january, i guess i have to hang in there

Comment

• chrisis
          • Feb 2012

Thanks for creating your account to share that Tizzle.

The more people who come forward, the more it becomes quite clear that the study numbers do not reflect reality.

I'm glad you managed to resolve your side effects.

fab, I will probably see a doctor and endocrinologist soon. I have to say though, I had no issues with my sexual health whatsoever until 2 months after taking this drug. I'd be shocked if it was something else.

Comment

• the_charger
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by tizzle
            I made the account only to share this.

I startet losing hair very quick so i started to take finasteride 1.25 mg each day. My Doctor told me that sexual sides are often only in the head. But i took it over two months with no sides an i didnt give it another thought. So when i started to get less hard erections, it was definitely caused by Fin.
            how did you know they were definitely caused by fin? just because sides might be in your head it doesnt mean that you even consciously know its happening... when your doctor says its in your head, he didnt mean people fake them or consciously decide to have side effects, its a subconscious thing actually

So i lowered the dose to 0.6 and within 1 week i got all my "strenght" back
            I guess i came back so fast because i have been taking it for only 3 month before reducing the dose.

I am aware that on the DHT scale, 0.6 ist reducing DHT almost as much as 1mg.
            i saw a DHT scale too, I am trying to find it again, but I remembe rthe difference between 0.5mg and 1mg is only a cople percentage difference.. I remember DHT is lowered by like 56% on 0.5 and by 60% on 1mg. this is almost insignificant, especially because your hormones fluctuate by even more than this throughout the day..

another thing to consider is side effects in men on 1mg compared to 5mg are pretty much exactly the same.. so as long as you are taking enough of the drug to lower DHT (again by that scale I think this was somewhere around 0.3mg or something) then the effect on your body is pretty much the same.

Therefore sides should be the same, since the sides are caused by lowering DHT right?
            no, it is pretty clear that sides arent caused by lowering DHT alone. one example that this isnt the case is that there is another drug similar to finasteride called dutasteride, but that drug lowers DHT by 95%, but side effects are almost exactly the same as men who take finasteride and lower DHT by 60%

but yes, thanks for sharing your story with us, it is interesting to learn all these different experiences!

Comment

• tizzle
              • Apr 2012

Thank you for your explenations.

Well i guess i cannot be 100% sure it was Fin, but there are several things i did not mension in my first post, because I primarely wanted to share my good reaction to a lower dose.

It wasnt only erection problems but libido as well. I had no interest in sex and believe me when i say that i was horny all the time and my erections were extremely hard (Sorry for the dirty talk ) When i took my mind of the sexual aspect while being in bed with my girlfriend (lets say closing the blinds) the erection instantly became "weaker".

I am glad to learn that sides do not seem to be caused only by the low DHT. So i can still hope that 0.5 will do something for my hair i guess. (its more like 0.625 mg since i cut a proscar into 8 pieces)

Comment

• the_charger
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by tizzle
                Thank you for your explenations.

Well i guess i cannot be 100% sure it was Fin, but there are several things i did not mension in my first post, because I primarely wanted to share my good reaction to a lower dose.

It wasnt only erection problems but libido as well. I had no interest in sex and believe me when i say that i was horny all the time and my erections were extremely hard (Sorry for the dirty talk ) When i took my mind of the sexual aspect while being in bed with my girlfriend (lets say closing the blinds) the erection instantly became "weaker".
                Check this out: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...563.x/abstract

It isnt a huge study, only done on around 100 guys, but it is still a very relevant example of those mental side effects.. it shows both ed and libido are effected by being told about the side effects.

though obviously propecia does cause side effects, because when studies are done properly with a placebo people who take propecia have around 2% higher rates of side effects.. but the study shows that its probabably much more likely if someone is having side effects its because its in their mind. fyi too, this isnt my theory, I learned about this from a doctor who had an interview with spencer about a year ago, and I completely agree with her.

but what I dont know if you can just snap out of it, or does this keep happening based on your mood, or if it happens is it there to stay until you stop taking the medication? this I dont know, maybe if we have some doctors or especially anyone that knows a lot about psychology reading this they can shine some light on it.

I am glad to learn that sides do not seem to be caused only by the low DHT. So i can still hope that 0.5 will do something for my hair i guess. (its more like 0.625 mg since i cut a proscar into 8 pieces)
                in all likelyhood it should help your hair just the same! because your DHT is being lowered almost the same as if you were taking a full 1mg dose... but im not sure if there are any studies done on a lower dose to prove how effective it is

Comment

• chrisis
                  • Feb 2012

The Charger, starting to think you must have a vested interest in defending Propecia. The amount of time you devote to interrogating people who've suffered from side effects is not normal. Let people have their say.

Comment

• fab
                    • Mar 2012

Originally posted by the_charger
                    Hi charger, this is good to know and I had an idea about it, but from my experience, when I 1st took this drug, years ago, my doc warned me and I read the label, I knew about the sexual side effects, I took it anyways, I had no problems, but i've always noticed that something was wrong (sometimes i'd have problems in getting it hard but didn't care about it because I thought it could be something else, but the truth is, Fin indeed got me a bit, but i could get by, and i also noticed a high incidence of anxiety, forgetfulness, emotional sensibility, depression, these last ones i didn't know what was. After years I went to know that these may also be caused/aggravated by Fin). And just recently they changed the label for this drug.

So just recently, i lots libido completely and ED has affected me, just out of the blue. I know it's hard to believe in that, and that's why I'm still investigating what could be.. As I said Fin has an affect on it, but it could also be something else, (some people say the problems are only Fin related but I want to confirm that before, people are different and one thing I learned, this drug affects different people in different ways) Read my other post here: http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthr...?t=8246&page=9

There is no studies about it long-term, over 10-15 years.

Comment

• fab
                      • Mar 2012

So, just wanted to add and explain better, this is really interesting, as i said, something was always wrong with me and I always thought it was something else. As i said, anxiety, forgetfulness, emotional sensibility, depression, i had no idea what was, just thought i was always like that, but when I stopped Fin they went away (the sexual sides remain). So while on Fin, these sides were for years with me, i would have really bad anxiety issues, and everything related to that.

There are studies (example: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17026771), which proves that Finasteride mechanism of action also diminishes neurosteroids that regulate anxiety and depression. This is interesting also: http://www.baldingblog.com/2006/04/1...from-propecia/ so these are all side-effects that can happen, not only the sexual ones, very interesting.

And this is not all, prostate cancer is also one: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/S.../ucm258529.htm

The truth is, the side effects may be there, but you get by, or not, even the sexual sides might strike you a bit, in some part of your life, but they might not disturb you enough for you to notice or care about it.

Comment

• bob13
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by chrisis
                        The Charger, starting to think you must have a vested interest in defending Propecia. The amount of time you devote to interrogating people who've suffered from side effects is not normal. Let people have their say.
                        The same could be said about you. At Least Charger backs it up.

Comment

• gutted
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by fab

My free T was also low, this as well has something to do.
                          in my opinion the sides from fin are 100% related to hormone levels- tesosterone and/or dht.
                          They both are low on individuals that are affected from sides.

This may be of some benefit -> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12659241

Comment

• tizzle
                            • Apr 2012

my personal experience is that the low dht level is not the only reason for sideeffects. i reduced my dose to 0.6mg daily (from 1.25) mg daily and my sides disappeared very quickly. And even though placebo effect is extremely complex, i do believe that my side were caused by Fin. But thats just my experiece, i cant back that up with science

Comment

• chrisis
                              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by bob13
                              The same could be said about you. At Least Charger backs it up.
                              You can trace my posts back from when I started at this forum. I had nothing negative to say about Propecia until I experienced sides, and even then I wasn't very critical until they persisted after months. All I've ever done is describe my experiences and advise other people accordingly. I totally get that you disagree with me doing that, but I'm going to continue anyway!

Also, just because you disagree with what I've said, doesn't mean I haven't backed myself up. Maybe it's time to start making some contributions yourself, instead of clinging to the coat tails of other people you agree with. Offering nothing but your own positive testimony on Propecia is pretty useless, and harassing those who have suffered side effects for the sake of it is pretty sick - as others have already pointed out.

In short, either offer something constructive to the discussion or stfu.

Comment

• bob13
                                • Jan 2012

Grow instead of telling somebody to ***off.

You suffer moderately , quit blaming everybody that doesn't.

I felt sorry from you but now I dont believe you cause you would have gotten help from a MD.

Comment

Working...