X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StressedToTheBald
    Inactive
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by blakes33
    Very good thread and very pertinent to me and my situation right now.

The truth though, is that the verdict is still out. I think we will have better answers to this debate within the next couple of years I can see points from both sides of the argument. However, here is my prediction:

I called Merck and I wrote an e-mail and a follow-up phone call to the FDA. Just my opinin that one of two things are going to happen: One - Merck will update side-effects with a massive increase in it's WARNING section of side-effects including permanent sexual dysfunction (probably the reason they have shut down their site). Second option - the FDA will pull the drug from the market (I did not have any indication this would happen but I WAS told from the FDA that "yes, we know about the new studies and reports from the use of propecia and it is under review").

I believe that where there is massive amounts of smoke, there is usually a fire. How big is the fire?? That nobody knows yet. We can debate all day whether or not propecia causes permanent side-effects and these terrible things that are being reported. But what is concerning to me and What we CANNOT debate is that there are endocrinologists, urologists, and top university professors who BELIEVE that it does.
    All well said blakes33, I agree.

Comment

• NotBelievingIt
      • Oct 2011

Permanancy is going to be tough to qualify.

"Prolonged" or "Long Term Persistence" may become the phrase.

Comment

• Jan 2012

One - Merck will update side-effects with a massive increase in it's WARNING section of side-effects including permanent sexual dysfunction (probably the reason they have shut down their site).
        none of the scientific studies in the past 20+ years have been able to prove that...

Second option - the FDA will pull the drug from the market
        that will never happen, because there is absolutely no reason to do that.
        Millions of people are happy with the results.

Feburary 19, 2012. Remember this post because 5 years from now, Propecia still be around.

Comment

• khan
          • Aug 2011

There is one thing I don't understand.

There are so many people in their later/mid 40s that take this drug at the 5mg level. I know my dad did for his prostate, for about a 2 years (at age 48 if I remember correctly). So why isn't there a forum called proscarhelp.com, surely these guys taking the 5mg should have their life ""completely crippled"", and by that I mean thoughs of suicide, complete penis vanishing...and on....and on...

But I don't even recall ever reading anyone from their side complaining, even if there are these people on the internet, they aren't even 1/10000 of the number of people having sides in 1mg. The age logic doesn't explain it, since there are plenty of older guys that take 1mg for hairloss and complain of sides, and are just as vocal, but what about the older guys taking 5mg everyday.

Some of the stories I read on Propecia scare me so much, and I honestly wouldn't wish my worse enemy to go throught even one millionath of that. So I can only imagine what the 5mg people would have to go through? But why is there no forum called proscarhelp.com?

Comment

• Jan 2012

^ old people don't use internet.... if they get side effects they complain directly to their doctor.

Comment

• khan
              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by 2020
              ^ old people don't use internet.... if they get side effects they complain directly to their doctor.
              So then doctors should be bombarded with complains from the 5mg people. I mean surely the sides should be cripling at the 5mg dose.
              I have spoke to atleast 2 doctors that have prescribed Proscar to 100s of patients and claim not a single on them reported problems.
              And on that note there are several older people (40+) on the internet that complain about the 1mg Finasteride, so sexual function is just as important to them as it obviously should be.

Comment

• NotBelievingIt
                • Oct 2011

Prostate issues present as the same side effects people report after taking Propecia.

So the fact that there have been no reports of side effects from the 5mg crowd is no surprise whatsoever.

In addition, while there are younger men taking Proscar, the vast majority are older and less likely to have an active sex drive, so any further decrease is next to impossible to tie directly to the addition of Proscar.

However, healthy, sexually active younger men are far more likely to note the changes and know something new is happening that is unexpected.

Comment

• Jan 2012

Originally posted by khan
                  So then doctors should be bombarded with complains from the 5mg people. I mean surely the sides should be cripling at the 5mg dose.
                  there is pretty much no difference between 1mg and 5mg... both doses inhibit about the same about of DHT

Comment

• StressedToTheBald
                    Inactive
                    • Jan 2012

And its perfectly young healthy people in Washington study as well.. only after starting propecia was their health ruined. Its a health hazard, and either FDA is going to ban it officially or bring risk and warning labels to reality - adding permanent erectile dysfunction, prostate cancer etc.. At least people will know what they're really gambling with and Merck will end up selling nothing.

Comment

• Jan 2012

Originally posted by StressedToTheBald
                      And its perfectly young healthy people in Washington study as well.. only after starting propecia was their health ruined. Its a health hazard, and either FDA is going to ban it officially or bring risk and warning labels to reality - adding permanent erectile dysfunction, prostate cancer etc.. At least people will know what they're really gambling with and Merck will end up selling nothing.
                      ffs that was not a proper study!!!!

Comment

• blakes33
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by 2020
                        none of the scientific studies in the past 20+ years have been able to prove that...

that will never happen, because there is absolutely no reason to do that.
                        Millions of people are happy with the results.

Feburary 19, 2012. Remember this post because 5 years from now, Propecia still be around.
                        I will ask YOU to remeber my predictions, because the drug being pulled off the market is only one of two possibilities. IF propecia is still on the market in 5 years - my prediction will be right on cue, because there is no doubt whatsoever that the warning will have been updated significantly, to include the possibilty of irreversible side- effects.

The updated warning and/or withdrawal from the market will probably closely coincide with the class action lawsuit. Merck will no doubt pay out millions to those affected. The jury will decide this based on a preponderence of the evidence (patient history, doctor and expert testimony, clinical practice over many years, etc) rather than only "scientific studies" or lack thereof.

Comment

• Jan 2012

IF propecia is still on the market in 5 years - my prediction will be right on cue,
                          you're right, PROPECIA will be off the market in about a year. Its patent is about to expire and all that we'll be left with is Finasteride. In that way you are right.

The updated warning and/or withdrawal from the market will probably closely coincide with the class action lawsuit. Merck will no doubt pay out millions to those affected. The jury will decide this based on a preponderence of the evidence (patient history, doctor and expert testimony, clinical practice over many years, etc) rather than only "scientific studies" or lack thereof.
                          there is no proof of that. Two people have died from Rogaine and it has been established that it happened due to a pre-existing condition.... Is it possible that people who report those horrible side effects from Propecia had a pre-existing condition too? Surely it makes no sense why SO MANY people take this drug without ANY SIDE EFFECTS, and yet a small portion of people do get side effects. Why is that? Why those few people have trouble with fin? Think about it.

Comment

• NotBelievingIt
                            • Oct 2011

Pre-existing condition that was unavoidable due to genetics. That kinda stinks.

In other words, my view is that those with side effects and / or persistent side effects will be found to have low tolerances to the inhibition of DHT and/or 5AR.

Something that hormone tests should have been able to find as treatment progressed.

I'm contemplating going back on Fin, but only with routine hormone panels...

Comment

Working...