Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post

The methodology was 3 individuals assessing color photographs of the patients, and the study does not display the photos (except a select few). I am confident finasteride can maintain hair counts on the crown and anterior mid scalp for 10 years. I am not confident that it can maintain temple and hairline hair counts for 10 years "in most men" because the only evidence for this is in the Rossi study, which did not obtain hair counts at all (instead we have 3 people saying it "looked maintained" based on photographs), has never had its results reproduced elsewhere, did not show its photos for anyone else to assess, and is not backed up by any anecdote (if you know of one I look forward to seeing it....we have many showing the opposite, including by people who have a very positive view of fin)
    Studies showing eg maintained crown hair are numerous, used large samples with control groups, took actual hair counts, and are backed by countless anecdotes.
    Is it possible that most men can maintain hair in all scalp regions for 10+ years on fin? Maybe. but I am not convinced at this time. I hope you now understand why and do not feel angered by that.
    Those "many showing the opposite" actually report very minor, unnoticeable recession of their temples after a very long time on finasteride. Furthermore, it is logical that people, who are visibly above baseline, can't lose the hair that they had at the beginning.