Proscar - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Proscar

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1

    Default Proscar

    I wanted to know if I cut the 5mg tablet into four's approx 1.25 mg of proscar will that work as effective as cutting it in half??? I just want to know if a half tablet is better as I have been doing it in fours but the dose is never exact but very close!!

    please explain!

  2. #2
    Administrator SpencerKobren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    402

    Thumbs up No Problem!

    Hey therock,

    As always, I have to state clearly that I am not a physician and that my opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator.

    In my opinion quartering Proscar tablets is perfectly acceptable and will not adversely effect your treatment in any way. It really shouldn't matter if you are taking 1mg one day and 1.25mg on an other. It all evens out in the end.

    You're fine.
    Hope this helps.

  3. #3
    Junior Member Gregory Pistone, MD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Marlton, NJ
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by therock777 View Post
    I wanted to know if I cut the 5mg tablet into four's approx 1.25 mg of proscar will that work as effective as cutting it in half??? I just want to know if a half tablet is better as I have been doing it in fours but the dose is never exact but very close!!

    please explain!
    Hello therock,

    I would have to agree. Scientifically, once Proscar reaches a "steady state" in your bloodstream, a small variation in dosage each day will make very little difference.

  4. #4
    Senior Member bigmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    253

    Default

    I cut mine into fifths and they are varying sizes.
    All the data i`ve read on this suggests its fine cutting them into fifths or quarters with slightly different dosage amounts.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Hello, new member here.

    In the interest of sheer laziness and convenience when traveling, etc. is it specifically unadvisable to, for example, cut Proscar tabs into halves and take every other day? I -thought- I had read once that that was just as good. If not, of course, I'll cut into quarters.

    Side note; I've tried the treatment before and did, in fact, suffer massive, noticeable and unmistakable sexual side effects. I know it's very rare, but it got me with a vengeance! I went on and off a few times and each time, without fail, after about 2-3 weeks or so, I was right back to my normal, virile self.

    Logical to assume that if finasteride had such a profound effect on me before, it will again? Never even took it long enough to see if it helped with the hair-loss-- I panicked!

    I use *******, etc daily and have pretty good results but I can see I'm gonna' have to get a little more aggressive to lock in what i have. All my loss is in the front, zero loss in the back, for whatever reason.

    Thanks for any info on the pill-cutting.

  6. #6
    Administrator SpencerKobren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    402

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by lostfan View Post
    Hello, new member here.

    In the interest of sheer laziness and convenience when traveling, etc. is it specifically unadvisable to, for example, cut Proscar tabs into halves and take every other day? I -thought- I had read once that that was just as good. If not, of course, I'll cut into quarters.

    Side note; I've tried the treatment before and did, in fact, suffer massive, noticeable and unmistakable sexual side effects. I know it's very rare, but it got me with a vengeance! I went on and off a few times and each time, without fail, after about 2-3 weeks or so, I was right back to my normal, virile self.

    Logical to assume that if finasteride had such a profound effect on me before, it will again? Never even took it long enough to see if it helped with the hair-loss-- I panicked!

    I use *******, etc daily and have pretty good results but I can see I'm gonna' have to get a little more aggressive to lock in what i have. All my loss is in the front, zero loss in the back, for whatever reason.

    Thanks for any info on the pill-cutting.
    Itís always best to start with the lowest possible dosage when beginning treatment. If youíve experienced adverse side effects in the past, most doctors will suggest that you begin with a half of Propecia per day, or even 1 pill every other day. Many men who suffered with adverse side effects on the 1mg dose or higher tolerated the lower dosage very well, while still gaining benefits from the drug.
    If you see that you can tolerate .5 mg per day, then you can up your dosage and see what happens.

    Hope this helps.
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

    I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    221

    Default

    if just starting propecia, do you recommed to cut the pills in half or should i take the full pill.

  8. #8
    Administrator SpencerKobren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heynow1234 View Post
    if just starting propecia, do you recommed to cut the pills in half or should i take the full pill.
    Always start with the recommended daily dosage, unless other wise instructed my your doctor. The likelihood of you having any issues with the 1mg dose is minuscule.
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

    I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpencerKobren View Post
    ..if youíve experienced adverse side effects in the past, most doctors will suggest that you begin with a half of Propecia per day, or even 1 pill every other day. Many men who suffered with adverse side effects on the 1mg dose or higher tolerated the lower dosage very well, while still gaining benefits from the drug.
    If you see that you can tolerate .5 mg per day, then you can up your dosage and see what happens.

    Hope this helps.
    It certainly does-- excellent suggestion and one I hadn't seen before. Thanks so much. So in terms of the every-other-day approach, if I chose to take, say, 1/3 (assuming I can get that close) of a 5mg proscar ever-other-day would that be just as effective (assuming it will be) as taking a little under 1mg every day? Is the every-other-day approach fine, all other things being equal (i.e. 2mg ever-other-day vs. 1mg every day.)?

    Thanks again.

  10. #10
    Administrator SpencerKobren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lostfan View Post
    It certainly does-- excellent suggestion and one I hadn't seen before. Thanks so much. So in terms of the every-other-day approach, if I chose to take, say, 1/3 (assuming I can get that close) of a 5mg proscar ever-other-day would that be just as effective (assuming it will be) as taking a little under 1mg every day? Is the every-other-day approach fine, all other things being equal (i.e. 2mg ever-other-day vs. 1mg every day.)?

    Thanks again.
    Most doctors suggest that you begin with daily treatment for the first month. This will ensure that your DHT levels are significantly lowered. Since it takes about 14 days for DHT levels to return to where they were before the start of treatment, it is thought that you can maintain your DHT levels with intermittent treatment. Either every other day or every third day.

    It's going to be difficult to cut Proscar into 1/8ths. You might want to begin treatment with Propecia.
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

    I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

Non Surgical Hair Transplant- What is this and how it works?
10-21-2020 04:25 AM
Last Post By Wzel
Today 09:14 AM
Female hair transplant result at 1 year, from Italy, Dr. Lindsey
11-17-2020 09:23 AM
Last Post By Wzel
Today 09:05 AM
My Success Story
07-09-2018 03:15 PM
Last Post By Wzel
Today 09:02 AM
Sarms
12-16-2019 05:45 AM
Last Post By Essembler
Today 08:53 AM
Where am I on the Norwood scale? (26M)
Today 05:21 AM
by Gonzo
Last Post By Gonzo
Today 05:21 AM