give up?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DepressedByHairLoss
    • Feb 2011

Of course there is a reason for the FDA to be in this discussion. If the FDA is just a puppet of the pharmaceutical industry (which many people think they are), then they are going to be acting in the best interest of the pharmaceutical industry and not the general public. Not to mention the FDA being in the hip pocket of all the big lobbyists. If most (if not all) hair-related doctors make their money off of hair transplants, then I doubt they would want any non-surgical procedure cutting into their profit margins. It is common knowledge that the FDA is corrupt, but there are lots of elements of the scientific community that are corrupt as well. Look at the example that I provided with Regenerx. They've had a worldwide patent out for almost 10 years for using the chemical Thymosin Beta 4 to regrow hair. Yet they haven't done anything with it, and since they have a patent on using that chemical for hair growth, only they can use this method to regrow hair. I remember about a year and a half ago, a Korean company called Adistem was going to sell a product containing Thymosin Beta 4 to regrow hair, yet they had to stop after only a couple of months because Regenerx was going to sue the pants off of them. The bottom line with this mess is that either Regenerx can develop a hair regrowth product using Thymosin Beta 4, or no one else can. And Regenerx hasn't even attempted to develop anything in almost 10 years. That right there is a prime example of the scientific community putting their own profit ahead of the health and well-being of the general public.
    And it is totally true that one of the main reasons that there is no cure for baldness is because there aren't nearly enough people/companies willing to try new methods on humans. Histogen and Replicel are just two minor exceptions to the rule. Male pattern baldness is such a widespread disease (I call it a disease) yet there are only a handful of companies/people even willing to try to develop any kind of treatment or cure to combat it. How the hell can you even know if something is going to work if its not even tested on humans in the first place? All of the chemicals that I have mentioned (Noggin, BMP inhibitors, Laminin 511) have been said to possibly be able stimulate robust hair growth in humans but nobody is gonna know unless they're tested on humans. Some of these chemicals have been mentioned for more than 10 years to possibly regrow hair in humans yet no one is even trying them out. And if these scientists don't think that these chemicals have any potential to regrow hair in humans, then stop touting them to scientific publications as if they do have some hair regrowth benefit. I can understand if there were a bunch of efforts being tried to regrow hair in humans and they somehow failed to do so. Then I would at least know that the companies and scientists are trying to do something to combat hair loss. But there are hardly any new efforts to do so at all.
    Your calling me "blind to simple reasoning" is just absolutely ridiculous and frankly you don't know what you're talking about. You compare testing more potential hair regrowth solutions to Mengele's methods, and I'm supposedly "blind to simple reasoning"? Yeah right. Ever since I started losing my hair, all I've been doing is researching potential methods to regrow hair so I know quite a bit about chemicals like Noggin and Laminin 511 because I've read the scientific studies on their potential to regrow hair. I've e-mailed more than 100 of these scientists and even talked to several of them on the phone. So I do know what I'm talking about.
    And you say you're not on "some other team against me", yet more than half of your posts on here are spent arguing with me.

Comment

• Mojo Risin
      • Mar 2011

"It's all preliminary at the moment," says Cotsarelis, who has helped to set up a company, Follica, that will attempt to bring the idea to market. "If it all went perfectly then possibly in two to three years we would have a product, but that's very optimistic.

That was in 2007. Now, in 2011, we still have nothing ... and the same guy says it's A DECADE AWAY. So yeah. Don't ask me why I put the ''troll face'' on Cotsarelis now ..

Comment

• Jundam
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by DepressedByHairLoss
        Of course there is a reason for the FDA to be in this discussion. If the FDA is just a puppet of the pharmaceutical industry (which many people think they are), then they are going to be acting in the best interest of the pharmaceutical industry and not the general public. Not to mention the FDA being in the hip pocket of all the big lobbyists. If most (if not all) hair-related doctors make their money off of hair transplants, then I doubt they would want any non-surgical procedure cutting into their profit margins. It is common knowledge that the FDA is corrupt, but there are lots of elements of the scientific community that are corrupt as well. Look at the example that I provided with Regenerx. They've had a worldwide patent out for almost 10 years for using the chemical Thymosin Beta 4 to regrow hair. Yet they haven't done anything with it, and since they have a patent on using that chemical for hair growth, only they can use this method to regrow hair. I remember about a year and a half ago, a Korean company called Adistem was going to sell a product containing Thymosin Beta 4 to regrow hair, yet they had to stop after only a couple of months because Regenerx was going to sue the pants off of them. The bottom line with this mess is that either Regenerx can develop a hair regrowth product using Thymosin Beta 4, or no one else can. And Regenerx hasn't even attempted to develop anything in almost 10 years. That right there is a prime example of the scientific community putting their own profit ahead of the health and well-being of the general public.
        And it is totally true that one of the main reasons that there is no cure for baldness is because there aren't nearly enough people/companies willing to try new methods on humans. Histogen and Replicel are just two minor exceptions to the rule. Male pattern baldness is such a widespread disease (I call it a disease) yet there are only a handful of companies/people even willing to try to develop any kind of treatment or cure to combat it. How the hell can you even know if something is going to work if its not even tested on humans in the first place? All of the chemicals that I have mentioned (Noggin, BMP inhibitors, Laminin 511) have been said to possibly be able stimulate robust hair growth in humans but nobody is gonna know unless they're tested on humans. Some of these chemicals have been mentioned for more than 10 years to possibly regrow hair in humans yet no one is even trying them out. And if these scientists don't think that these chemicals have any potential to regrow hair in humans, then stop touting them to scientific publications as if they do have some hair regrowth benefit. I can understand if there were a bunch of efforts being tried to regrow hair in humans and they somehow failed to do so. Then I would at least know that the companies and scientists are trying to do something to combat hair loss. But there are hardly any new efforts to do so at all.
        Your calling me "blind to simple reasoning" is just absolutely ridiculous and frankly you don't know what you're talking about. You compare testing more potential hair regrowth solutions to Mengele's methods, and I'm supposedly "blind to simple reasoning"? Yeah right. Ever since I started losing my hair, all I've been doing is researching potential methods to regrow hair so I know quite a bit about chemicals like Noggin and Laminin 511 because I've read the scientific studies on their potential to regrow hair. I've e-mailed more than 100 of these scientists and even talked to several of them on the phone. So I do know what I'm talking about.
        And you say you're not on "some other team against me", yet more than half of your posts on here are spent arguing with me.
        Frankly didn't come here to lecture or be lectured. I just wanted to try and explain something but you're obviously too stuck on your side of things to even have a glimpse at the other so I'll just leave you there in your own little world. Enjoy.

Comment

• RichardDawkins
          Inactive
          • Jan 2011

What are you talking about i lost track

Comment

• Kiwi
            • Mar 2011

I know. This is more painful to read then the tx32 thread... Or whatever that snakeoil BS is called.

The way I see it is that the FDA etc are what they are. Writing 10,000 words here ain't gonna change shit or speed anything up. You can believe whatever you want. You may be right. You might not be. Either way it's futile and irralivant because you're not getting a new head of hair until the work is done and it'll be done under there watch in there time and not yours.

Here.... Nobody hears your screams. Especially not the FDA and especially not the good scientists working on mice. Or even the bad ones.

You're depressed. Angry too. But so am I.

I just pray that they hurry up. This has been the worst waiting game I've ever played

Comment

• Mojo Risin
              • Mar 2011

If there's no ''cure'' in my lifetime (I'm 22), and I'm almost Norwood 4 ... this is going to be one freakin' miserable life.

Because nope, a bald head really doesn't fit me at all, I'd see myself on the street and I'd say ''Holy shit that dude is one ugly ****''. And seeing my father with all is hair is even more humiliating. I was ugly with hair .. so imagine without it !

Premature baldness is the worst thing that could happen to me .. hope we have a solution within the next decade ..

Comment

• Kiwi
                • Mar 2011

I'm hearing you bro!! Stay positive - I think it's going to happen. Too much money in it for it not too... At least we're all in the same boat

Comment

• Jundam
                  • Mar 2011

Agreed. I have a fairly good shape on the head but it's a little too big for my taste and it really is disheartening to be forced into showing it off on a daily basis. Feels like it takes away so much from the rest of what you are. I got lucky and went from monk-like bald spot opening up to a full head of hair with the big three though. But as I mentioned there's a time limit on the top of my head and I really don't want to hit that limit.

I'm positive that there'll be a superior treatment within the next decade though. I believe stem cell research will keep picking up pace and and I see several possible treatments trial right now. Histogen, Replicel and CB-03-01 in particular. As far as an actual cure goes however I think you'd need gene therapy. That on the other hand is far off.

Comment

• Sogeking
                    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Kiwi
                    You're depressed. Angry too. But so am I.

I just pray that they hurry up. This has been the worst waiting game I've ever played
                    Its like hide and seek, but all we do is seeking...

Comment

• dkayla77
                      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Jundam
                      Agreed. I have a fairly good shape on the head but it's a little too big for my taste and it really is disheartening to be forced into showing it off on a daily basis. Feels like it takes away so much from the rest of what you are. I got lucky and went from monk-like bald spot opening up to a full head of hair with the big three though. But as I mentioned there's a time limit on the top of my head and I really don't want to hit that limit.

I'm positive that there'll be a superior treatment within the next decade though. I believe stem cell research will keep picking up pace and and I see several possible treatments trial right now. Histogen, Replicel and CB-03-01 in particular. As far as an actual cure goes however I think you'd need gene therapy. That on the other hand is far off.
                      congrats on your success....but there's no time limit on your head

most people who have success with propecia will continue to have success and only slowly will you have hair loss.....not noticeable over the long time, and normal as per normal ageing.

propecia is the key.

Comment

• UK_
                        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Jundam

Chrissake, Histogen IS gene therapy.

Comment

• Jundam
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by UK_
                          Chrissake, Histogen IS gene therapy.
                          I meant gene therapy in the sense that it actually eliminated the condition. Histogen is a treatment not a cure.

Comment

• Jundam
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by dkayla77
                            congrats on your success....but there's no time limit on your head

most people who have success with propecia will continue to have success and only slowly will you have hair loss.....not noticeable over the long time, and normal as per normal ageing.

propecia is the key.
                            Far as I've read Propecia usually lasts you 8 or so years if it works. Some people make it a lot longer, others less. Not that there's any real science backing that up but all things I've read indicates it slows hair loss but doesn't stop it and you will eventually return to a state of balding.

Comment

• DepressedByHairLoss
                              • Feb 2011

Jundam, don't tell me I'm stuck in my own little world; you don't know me and you don't know what you're talking about when you make those kinds of claims. I didn't come here to be lectured either but every time I post something (even in another thread), you've got to follow my post and offer your two cents. Whatever man, we disagree. Let's just move on.
                              Kiwi, I hear what you're saying to a certain degree. We're all angry and frustrated here, especially when having a full head of hair means so much to us. The thing is: it shouldn't have to be this way. We shouldn't have to suffer with hair loss like this and we shouldn't have so very few options to combat our hair loss. Rogaine and Propecia don't do much of anything for most people and most people don't want to deal with the permanent head scarring of a hair transplant. A lot of hair doctors come on here and maybe if they see that some people are not satisfied with the current options, then they will offer more (and less invasive) options. I'm telling you, if we had more Histogens out there, our hair loss problems would be solved a lot sooner than later.
                              And hopefully we won't have to deal with an FDA timeline as well. Hopefully a hair loss solution will come from overseas so it can bypass the whole FDA altogether.

Comment

• Kiwi
                                • Mar 2011

Now you're talking

Comment

Working...