X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • michael85
    • Nov 2010

Yet another criticism for Finasteride

Hello,

I'm in month 2 of my Propecia medication. I think I am getting good results, with little or no side effects.

Was reading a totally unrelated article, where a reference to this video was made..

Dr. Michael S. Irwig from George Washington University has published a study on persistent Finasteride (Propecia) side effects in young men aged 21-46.Study ...

The stats this Doctor provides is alarming!
  • PropeciaVictim
    Inactive
    • Apr 2011

The statistics that Dr. Irwig mentions refer only to the group of patients he studied. They do not pertain to the likelihood you will develop side effects.

Comment

• Havok
      • Apr 2011

taking finasteride is voluntary. if you're concerned with side effects then don't take it. quit now. don't try to get others to convince you otherwise.

Comment

• mattj
        Doctor Representative
        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by PropeciaVictim
        The statistics that Dr. Irwig mentions refer only to the group of patients he studied. They do not pertain to the likelihood you will develop side effects.
        Exactly. They are a self-selected group of side-effect sufferers, so they don't represent Finasteride users in general.
        I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Comment

• Dr. Glenn Charles
          IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon
          • Nov 2008

This topic it stirring up quite a controversy in the hair transplant community. In fact I know that at the upcoming ISHRS annual conference this year in Alaska there will be some heated debates and organized panel discussions. Hopefully we will receive some more information form the drug companies and that more studies will be performed in the near future.
          Dr. Glenn Charles
          Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
          View my IAHRS Profile

Comment

• michael85
            • Nov 2010

Dr.Glenn, please keep us updated.. Thanks

Comment

• Dr. Glenn Charles
              • Nov 2008

I will do my best.
              Dr. Glenn Charles
              View my IAHRS Profile

Comment

• PropeciaVictim
                Inactive
                • Apr 2011

Dr. Charles, thanks for your comment. Are you acquainted with any hair surgeons that either believe in the existence of Propecia's persistent side effects or even that it is a possibility? From my experience, I have yet to encounter a hair transplant surgeon that has not instantly rejected these possibilities. The statement that the ISHRS has put out recently seems conclusory despite not being conclusive.

The reaction from endocrinologists and urologists has been notably different.

Comment

• Dr. Glenn Charles
                  • Nov 2008

I agree that most of the hair restoration physicians do not think that permanant side effect are possible or at least very unlikely.
                  Dr. Glenn Charles
                  View my IAHRS Profile

Comment

• PropeciaVictim
                    Inactive
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Dr. Glenn Charles
                    I agree that most of the hair restoration physicians do not think that permanant side effect are possible or at least very unlikely.
                    Dr. Charles, just out of curiosity do you have any thoughts on the subject? Your tone seems to be more open-minded than virtually any hair surgeon I have previously encountered. I also have a friend that is enrolled in med school to become a DO and he explained the training is a lot more focused on holistic health care that approaches medicine in a slightly different way than the convention wisdom.

Many doctors I have seen rejected it out of hand because they have never had a patient report these side effects to them but I find this to be a dangerous rationale for two reasons. First, just because they haven't seen it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Secondly, patients will not always connect side effects to medications, especially since the product warning said persistent side effects were non-existent until recently.

Comment

Working...