Is there honestly anything other than the big 3 worth looking into?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Louish
    • Aug 2015

OK well , What I can do is to check if this is actual good science. But I can tell you no one in real life has any results. For instance the study behind the use of Nizoral for hair loss is not good science. All it shows is Fina works and minox and keto are equally useless. Problem is doctors are not very good at understanding studies...most of the time. Only people in the research field themselves can really judge.

Comment

• Vantage
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Louish
      OK well , What I can do is to check if this is actual good science.
      Let us know what you think. I think funding could be a problem as most of the studies are obviously funded by the manufacturers.

That last systematic review I linked to put LLLT above minoxidil. I found that pretty interesting.

But I can tell you no one in real life has any results.
      Out of curiosity, how do you explain the 300+ positive reviews for the iRestore on Amazon?

Comment

• Louish
        • Aug 2015

Never underestimate the power of placebo effect

Comment

• Louish
          • Aug 2015

I have a highend Theradome I will gladly sell to you if you really believe in it. No wires, super light and off course a good discount.

Comment

• Vantage
            • Dec 2017

Never underestimate the power of placebo effect
            True, placebo effects can be strong. Some of those studies though were placebo controlled with a sham device.

I have a highend Theradome I will gladly sell to you if you really believe in it. No wires, super light and off course a good discount.
            Thanks for the offer. Somehow Theradome seems to get worse reviews. Not sure why.

I'm currently using iRestore. I was considering 'upgrading' to a 128 diodes device from China, if they're worth it. Can't find any reviews though.

If you get to read those studies I linked to above I'll be interested in hearing your opinion.

Comment

• TobyJay
              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by BaldingHelpMe
              When you say added dut, do you mean taking both fin and dut? Or switching fin to dut instead?
              I'm taking both.

Comment

• BaldingHelpMe
                • Sep 2015

Originally posted by TobyJay
                I'm taking both.
                Thanks for your reply. So you've been taking fin for the last 3 years which didn't do much for your hair loss, so you added dut and started taking both which gives you some regrowth? How long have you been taking both?

Are you planning to keep taking both? Or are you going to drop fin eventually?

Comment

• TobyJay
                  • Oct 2016

It might be that I respond better to dut. However, I'm not going to risk ditching fin. in case the regrowth is due to the combo. I'm comfortable taking both but I wouldn't necessarily recommend doing this. I'm also going to double up dut. month-on-month, but again, this is me being willing to experiment, not something I'd encourage.

Comment

• Louish
                    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by TobyJay
                    It might be that I respond better to dut. However, I'm not going to risk ditching fin. in case the regrowth is due to the combo. I'm comfortable taking both but I wouldn't necessarily recommend doing this. I'm also going to double up dut. month-on-month, but again, this is me being willing to experiment, not something I'd encourage.
                    I hope your hair look good because suppressing about 90% of a critical hormone will come at a price in the long run.

Comment

• Vantage
                      • Dec 2017

I hope your hair look good because suppressing about 90% of a critical hormone will come at a price in the long run.
                      What are your thoughts about the long term effects of propecia? As far as I know it decreases DHT with 40%.

Comment

• Louish
                        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Vantage
                        What are your thoughts about the long term effects of propecia? As far as I know it decreases DHT with 40%.
                        The short version is : DHT, Test, Estrogen, Cortisol etc.. are all Cholesterol derivatives. They are in balance with each other to regulate countless metabolic processes. If you upset that balance you will not be healthy. You don't need to have a decease to be unhealthy. I would lose my hair any day before I take this garbage. Doctors are clueless about those things they barely do any biochemistry and they just rely on the good faith of those making the studies.

Comment

• Vantage
                          • Dec 2017

The short version is : DHT, Test, Estrogen, Cortisol etc.. are all Cholesterol derivatives. They are in balance with each other to regulate countless metabolic processes. If you upset that balance you will not be healthy. You don't need to have a decease to be unhealthy. I would lose my hair any day before I take this garbage. Doctors are clueless about those things they barely do any biochemistry and they just rely on the good faith of those making the studies.
                          Very interesting. I've always been highly skeptical of the idea that one could take a drug that lowers DHT with 40% while not affecting anything else.

Comment

• Louish
                            • Aug 2015

Very interesting. I've always been highly skeptical of the idea that one could take a drug that lowers DHT with 40% while not affecting anything else.
                            For starters, all that testosterone that did not convert into DHT will mostly end up as estrogen. Higher estrogen will then signal your body to slow down on testosterone production then in the end you will lower your testosterone as well. This is why bodybuilders take anti-estrogen after using steroids because the higher estrogen levels keep testosterone production low. This image can you give you an idea.Click image for larger version

Name:	steroid_conversion_chart.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	442093

Comment

• Vantage
                              • Dec 2017

For starters, all that testosterone that did not convert into DHT will mostly end up as estrogen. Higher estrogen will then signal your body to slow down on testosterone production then in the end you will lower your testosterone as well. This is why bodybuilders take anti-estrogen after using steroids because the higher estrogen levels keep testosterone production low. This image can you give you an idea.[ATTACH=CONFIG]55266[/ATTACH]
                              Thanks for the interesting details. Has this potential effect on long term testosterone been shown in studies?

And how about minoxidil? Is that safe long term? What do you think of the acclaimed side effect by some, claiming that it increases aging/decreases collagen production?

Comment

• Louish
                                • Aug 2015

Thanks for the interesting details. Has this potential effect on long term testosterone been shown in studies?

And how about minoxidil? Is that safe long term? What do you think of the acclaimed side effect by some, claiming that it increases aging/decreases collagen production?
                                All this is very well known but since the long term conséquences are difficult to quantify since they would require long term follow ups (who would pay for it?) it is easier to accept a comforting lie and focus on the occurrence of short term usual side effects like impotence and gynecomastia. More money for big pharma and more hair for the average self conscious MPB sufferer.

Comment

Working...