Is Rogaine a dht blocker??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newuser1
    • Sep 2015

I've never really heard of anyone having serious or long term side effects from minox although obviously there is always a chance of some side effect, even just if skin irritation, just like any drug. Propecia systematically lowers your DHT by blocking or reducing 5AR which converts T to DHT. So yes propecia can have more actual side effects such as sexual dysfunction. However, studies have shown these to be very low. I have been on propecia for many years like others with no noticeable side effects.

[Note: talk to your doctor if concerned, I'm not a medical professional and neither are most of the people on this forum]

Comment

• bmoreno515
      • Nov 2014

heyy mark do you have any before and after photos? Or at least tell me how severe was your hair loss? How many hairs did you lose before rogaine and how bad was your thinning? Im just curiouse because I want to start rogaine but kinda nervous.

Comment

• epipapilla
        • Mar 2015

Your erectile problems are probably caused by anxiety.

However, Minoxidil is a blood pressure reducing drug which can cause hypotension. Some of the side effects of hypotension are dizziness, fainting, lack of concentration, blurred vision, nausea, rapid breathing and fatigue.

Hypotension can also cause erectile dysfunction: https://www.healthtap.com/topics/can...le-dysfunction

Comment

• mark8
          • Oct 2015

Originally posted by bmoreno515
          heyy mark do you have any before and after photos? Or at least tell me how severe was your hair loss? How many hairs did you lose before rogaine and how bad was your thinning? Im just curiouse because I want to start rogaine but kinda nervous.
          I had a big bald spot on the top of my head, and now it's basically gone. I also have some growth at hairline and temples.
          I use the liquid, put it on once a day, about 2ml on the crown and 2ml on the hairline and temples. So its only 1 application, but a lot.
          With time you get good at localizing it so it doesnt drip where you dont want it to.
          I shed for about a month and then it started reversing.

Comment

• bmoreno515
            • Nov 2014

I see, alright and is there a special reason whyyou choose liquid over foam? Not that its an issue but juts wondering. Also has your hair in general gotten thicker all over? And has the bald spot really gone away?

Comment

• PatientlyWaiting
              • Jan 2011

Minoxidil liquid works very well on the vertex, and some times on the entire scalp. For me personally, it always works very well in thickening my hair when I use it. I'm back on it now, I got off it a while ago because I moved and left my bottles in my old apartment. Now i'm back on it and i'm tracking everything. My vertex is pretty much bald, at least visibly, although there's some hair there. I'm only on minoxidil. I'm going to try Lipogain, anyone know how god that is? I've only tried Rogain and Kirkland's. Kirkland's itches a lot.

That I remember, minoxidil caused face bloating for me, and dark circles, I look tired on minoxidil. I have never read of it causing sexual dysfunction, and never experienced that myself.

Comment

• bmoreno515
                • Nov 2014

heyy patiently waiting how long did it take for you to see results? And did you notice shedding right away and if so how long did it last for? I want to start on rogaine liquid or foam but I always read people preferring the liquid, is the alcohol that makes it better absorbed? Have you ever used foam?

Comment

• PatientlyWaiting
                  • Jan 2011

I forgot exactly, but it takes some months, I would say 4-6 months of continuous use, sometimes even faster, like it's actually possible to see after a couple of months. I have used foam and did not like the lack of visible results. Liquid however, did give me visible results. As far as how the liquid penetrates the skin better, I guess it's because of the vehicle? I have never really gotten deep into the science of results but I can tell you for sure, in my case, liquid>foam. I want to stick to just minoxidil for 6 months to see what it does for me. But I may give in and buy 2 years worth of finasteride.

Comment

• WHTC Clinic
                    IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon
                    • Oct 2013

It may well be the vehicle that makes the difference.
                    Click here for a free hair loss recommendation from Dr. Patrick Mwamba

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC clinic.

Consultations with Dr. Patrick Mwamba
                    London, UK - Available (Sat.)
                    Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Sat.)
                    Bologna, Italy - Available (Sat.)
                    Brussels, Belgium - Available (Mon. - Sun.)

Follow us: Facebook - Youtube - Pinterest

Email
                    customer.care@mywhtc.com
                    Telephone
                    +32 479-75-3281 (Belgium)
                    +44-203-318-6228 (UK)
                    les meilleures solutions chirurgicales pour la perte de cheveux

Comment

• HTsoon
                      • Feb 2016

Originally posted by PatientlyWaiting
                      Minoxidil liquid works very well on the vertex, and some times on the entire scalp. For me personally, it always works very well in thickening my hair when I use it. I'm back on it now, I got off it a while ago because I moved and left my bottles in my old apartment. Now i'm back on it and i'm tracking everything. My vertex is pretty much bald, at least visibly, although there's some hair there. I'm only on minoxidil. I'm going to try Lipogain, anyone know how god that is? I've only tried Rogain and Kirkland's. Kirkland's itches a lot.

That I remember, minoxidil caused face bloating for me, and dark circles, I look tired on minoxidil. I have never read of it causing sexual dysfunction, and never experienced that myself.
                      Lipogaine is by far the best minoxidil I have ever tried, I used to buy the Kirkland brand garbage, I then switched to rogaine foam, it was easy to apply but also garbage, the lipogaine has literally stopped my shedding, I used run my fingers through my hair with rogaine foam and hair would be on my hands, the same thing doesn't happen with lipogaine I highly recommend it.

Comment

• PatientlyWaiting
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by HTsoon
                        Lipogaine is by far the best minoxidil I have ever tried, I used to buy the Kirkland brand garbage, I then switched to rogaine foam, it was easy to apply but also garbage, the lipogaine has literally stopped my shedding, I used run my fingers through my hair with rogaine foam and hair would be on my hands, the same thing doesn't happen with lipogaine I highly recommend it.
                        Thanks, I will try that out.

Do you believe the azelaic acid factored in greatly?

Comment

Working...