X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tenma
    • Nov 2013

Derivation of Hair-Inducing Cell from Human Pluripotent Stem Cells

Full study:

Dermal Papillae (DP) is a unique population of mesenchymal cells that was shown to regulate hair follicle formation and growth cycle. During development most DP cells are derived from mesoderm, however, functionally equivalent DP cells of cephalic hairs originate from Neural Crest (NC). Here we directed human embryonic stem cells (hESCs) to generate first NC cells and then hair-inducing DP-like cells in culture. We showed that hESC-derived DP-like cells (hESC-DPs) express markers typically found in adult human DP cells (e.g. p-75, nestin, versican, SMA, alkaline phosphatase) and are able to induce hair follicle formation when transplanted under the skin of immunodeficient NUDE mice. Engineered to express GFP, hESC-derived DP-like cells incorporate into DP of newly formed hair follicles and express appropriate markers. We demonstrated that BMP signaling is critical for hESC-DP derivation since BMP inhibitor dorsomorphin completely eliminated hair-inducing activity from hESC-DP cultures. DP cells were proposed as the cell-based treatment for hair loss diseases. Unfortunately human DP cells are not suitable for this purpose because they cannot be obtained in necessary amounts and rapidly loose their ability to induce hair follicle formation when cultured. In this context derivation of functional hESC-DP cells capable of inducing a robust hair growth for the first time shown here can become an important finding for the biomedical science.

This could be huge
  • hellouser
    • May 2012

Article has 15 mentions of the word 'mice'.

Don't expect any of the following people to move it to humans: Ksenia Gnedeva, Ekaterina Vorotelyak, Flavio Cimadamore, Giulio Cattarossi, Elena Giusto, Vasiliy V. Terskikh & Alexey V. Terskikh.

Just a healthy dose of reality!

Comment

• rambo007
      • Oct 2014

Should we send it to Replicel?

Comment

• Illusion
        • Jul 2014

Thanks for posting the full study, much appreciated!

Comment

• englishman
          • Nov 2014

All this scientific stuff makes me mad.:-D could someone break this down for me so I can understand the results.. :/

Comment

• joachim
            • May 2014

wow relatively detailed information here. i think other researchers could even be able to easily replicate this experiment, as the culturing methods and mediums are disclosed as well.

also interesting is that iPSC cells are less efficient than embryonic stem cells (hESC). however, those guys still suggest that iPSC could be a possible way to get enough cells. as these cells can be multiplied indefinitely you can afford if only a few percent of the cells are usable and inductive for hair formation.

also new is (and it seems to be the key to the DP cell creation) that they had to create the DP cells through an intermediate step called the NC cells. if this step is skipped, and DP cells tried to directly be differentiated from iPSC cells, then they lose their inductive potential.

further, i don't see them mentioning epithelial cells (the cells dr. Xu achieved to create from iPSC cells). if i read that correctly, their cluster of DP cells alone injected under the skin created new follicles.

what i don't understand is where did they get the human embryonic stem cells from?

so in the end i have to ask: what stops us (or other researchers) to replicate their method and make some human trials in japan? see what happens when these cells are injected under human skin. to me it seems that this is the cure already. of course, questions like hair diameter, direction etc. have to be seen. also i don't care about efficacy. anyway the study already showed more than 100 new formed hairs with the hESC-DP cells so the efficacy with these cells is quite good.

so what are the next steps? what other roadblocks can come into the way?

Comment

• Pate
              • Sep 2011

Human embryonic stem cell culturing is legal in most of the US, but it is controlled.

They use embryos left over from IVF procedures. I would think these guys got them that way.

It's a good paper anyway. There are now several methods being tried to bypass the problem of loss of induction with culturing, and it's highly likely IMO that at least one of them will work.

Standard 10+ years before it leads to a realistic treatment though, of course!

Comment

• Trenblastoise
                • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Pate
                Human embryonic stem cell culturing is legal in most of the US, but it is controlled.
                Difficult to put into words how frustrating it is, in any situation, that religion steps in and retards the process of science and technology.

Looking forward to reading the article, which I am guilty of not doing before writing a comment.

Comment

• Pate
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Trenblastoise
                  Difficult to put into words how frustrating it is, in any situation, that religion steps in and retards the process of science and technology.

Looking forward to reading the article, which I am guilty of not doing before writing a comment.
                  Well it's not purely religious reasons - it's also medical ethics. They are using human embryos for these stem cells so the religious reasons have been largely overcome. But the industry is still heavily controlled for ethical reasons.

Comment

• Hairetique
                    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by hellouser
                    Article has 15 mentions of the word 'mice'.

Don't expect any of the following people to move it to humans: Ksenia Gnedeva, Ekaterina Vorotelyak, Flavio Cimadamore, Giulio Cattarossi, Elena Giusto, Vasiliy V. Terskikh & Alexey V. Terskikh.

Just a healthy dose of reality!

Please take a seat and read up on why they test things on mice. Thanks

Comment

• Bald Russian
                      • Oct 2014

Originally posted by hellouser
                      Ksenia Gnedeva, Ekaterina Vorotelyak, Vasiliy V. Terskikh & Alexey V. Terskikh.
                      Oh they are russian, i found their phone numbers, should i ask something about human trials?

Comment

• joachim
                        • May 2014

Originally posted by Bald Russian
                        Oh they are russian, i found their phone numbers, should i ask something about human trials?
                        what? you're able to simply get them on the phone?
                        if so, it would indeed be interesting to get so further information.
                        if i understood correctly, we can't get ESC cells (embryonic stem cells) from a person. so the only way is to do it with iPS cells (pluripotent stem cells) which can be made from skin fibroblast cells, individually from patient to patient. as the study mentions iPS cells showed they are not that efficient like ESC but still able to induce hair. you simply have to create multiple times more iPS cells to overcome the efficacy issue. however, proof of concept is done, and the study shows it's possible to induce denovo hair with iPS cells, so we're really talking about brand new hair derived from multiplied stem cells. the tests were done with human cells but in mouse skin. they always do it this way. it's likely that the same effect will occur in human scalp too and now it's time to test that once and for all.

so, some questions from my side would be:

first of all, how do we create the iPS cells from a persons skin cells? do we still need genetic editing or some special and maybe illegal medical tricks to create such cells? in other words: are there still issues to be solved to get the required iPS cells? if so, what are these and what are the next steps to figure them out?

if the iPS cells can be created without any problems for each patient individually, what stops us to make a proof of concept trial with real humans? what are the next steps and what's holding us back? we already know that efficacy is not the best but is it still possible to see 1 single hair growing on a bald scalp with their technique? the study clearly suggests YES!!! so why not test it immediately? the efficacy issues can be figured out at a later point. we just want to see that de-novo hair formation in bald scalp IS a reality in the first place. not in mice!

thanks

Comment

• hellouser
                          • May 2012

Originally posted by Hairetique
                          Please take a seat and read up on why they test things on mice. Thanks
                          Only if you tell me why all research ends with mice and nothing applicable is done afterwards.

Comment

• Bald Russian
                            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by joachim
                            what? you're able to simply get them on the phone?
                            Yep, just found their institute and there is list of working stuff with phone numbers.
                            But i think to gather all questions together to not disturb many times for every single question. So i'm awaiting for another questions for some time and then i will do a phone call.

Originally posted by joachim
                            so, some questions from my side would be:

first of all, how do we create the iPS cells from a persons skin cells? do we still need genetic editing or some special and maybe illegal medical tricks to create such cells? in other words: are there still issues to be solved to get the required iPS cells? if so, what are these and what are the next steps to figure them out?

if the iPS cells can be created without any problems for each patient individually, what stops us to make a proof of concept trial with real humans? what are the next steps and what's holding us back? we already know that efficacy is not the best but is it still possible to see 1 single hair growing on a bald scalp with their technique? the study clearly suggests YES!!! so why not test it immediately? the efficacy issues can be figured out at a later point. we just want to see that de-novo hair formation in bald scalp IS a reality in the first place. not in mice!

thanks
                            Accepted.

---
                            To say truth, i'm pretty excited that they are russian. Because if they can make new hair, then my problem is solved. Many hard questions like FDA approval, here can be solved with solid package of money. I can try offer some sponsorship for a "personal human trial". That is possible because i know that government do not support to scientists in my country (i know because i'm chemist-engineer), they are always poor and projects suffer by hard deficit of money. That can be a key. I will pay any amount of money for good hair. And money can close their eyes for illegal side of law.

Comment

• bboy5
                              • Jan 2015

Can someone explain to me why this isn't the cure? Hasn't maintaining DP cell inductivity in culture been the holy grail for the past 15 years? And now have it, don't we?. From some quick research it seems iPS cells can be made from your urine. It seems this only has about 4% efficiency, but does that really matter? What is it I'm missing that's stopping everyone going wild over this?

Comment

Working...