Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fred970
    • Nov 2009

I was wondering if you were joking .

I agree for the relieving stress part, but it works with every sport. I like swimming for relieving stress for example. I guess I just don't need a muscular body to feel better about myself.

Bottom line is, this generic advice must stop, it causes more harm than good. I remember people telling me that I should work out to compensate my lack of hair over and over when my hair loss became noticeable. I was naive at the time and felt bad for not doing it, or trying to do it with no results. Until a great physical trainer told me the truth: working out was just a waste of time for a man with my genetics.

Comment

• Hicks
      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Scoots
      My girlfriend of about 10 months and I broke up this weekend, and I am pretty crushed. It know it wouldn't have worked out long term because she is moving several states away and our feelings just aren't strong enough to make it work, but it still hurts big time.

Besides dealing with the turmoil of a breakup, I can't help but continue to obsess about my hairloss. It was always comforting to know that she truly didn't care (or so she said), which helped ease the constant negative thoughts I had about my balding scalp.

Just hours after the breakup I am thinking a lot about my hair...the thought of being single again with an ever-balding scalp terrifies me. It truly makes me feel like there is an expiration date for me for finding an attractive, decent girl. If anyone has similar thoughts or any advice, it would be much appreciated.
      I'm a little late on this but I was in the same boat. Girl bailed on me about 7 months ago to work in some 3rd world country. She wanted to save people or just wanted to get far away from me. Took a few months to get over that one.

With my career schedule my health/appearance (excluding hair loss) has went to crap. I hired a trainer a few months ago. We do a lot of High Intensity Training. Be fit to live, not live to be fit.

Anyway, life is about bettering yourself. Never stop, no matter what!

Comment

• greatjob!
        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by fred970
        I was wondering if you were joking .

I agree for the relieving stress part, but it works with every sport. I like swimming for relieving stress for example. I guess I just don't need a muscular body to feel better about myself.

Bottom line is, this generic advice must stop, it causes more harm than good. I remember people telling me that I should work out to compensate my lack of hair over and over when my hair loss became noticeable. I was naive at the time and felt bad for not doing it, or trying to do it with no results. Until a great physical trainer told me the truth: working out was just a waste of time for a man with my genetics.
        Even if you are a pure ectomorph you can make big gains, the proof of that is everywhere. Genetics plays a role, in the sense that most people don't have the ability to get really big without hormones, but proper training and more importantly proper nutrition also play a huge role. You could no doubt make nice gains if you committed to proper nutrition and training, and if you really wanted to.

Many people don't want to be muscular and that's perfectly fine, but everyone can make good gains in muscle mass with a proper plan, it's just much harder for some than others. I do think even if weights aren't your thing everyone should try and engage in some sort of physical activity, the benefits of exercise on overall health and well-being are indisputable.

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
          • Jun 2013

I agree. And as we grow older, exercise becomes even more important.

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
            Doctor Representative
            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Notcoolanymore
            I agree. And as we grow older, exercise becomes even more important.
            Check this guy out. His hair loss began at an early age. He's now 75 and stayed faithful to his diet and workouts.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
            forhair.com
            Cole Hair Transplant
            1070 Powers Place
            Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
            Phone 678-566-1011
            email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
            The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
            Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Comment

• fred970
              • Nov 2009

I'm sorry but he looks awful. Baldness tends to defeat the whole purpose. And his big head doesn't match his body.

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
                Doctor Representative
                • Aug 2012

I'm sorry but he looks awful. Baldness tends to defeat the whole purpose. And his big head doesn't match his body.
                He's successful, 75, and healthy and he didn't let those things hold him back.

forhair.com
                Cole Hair Transplant
                1070 Powers Place
                Phone 678-566-1011

Comment

• greatjob!
                  • Aug 2011

Originally posted by 35YrsAfter
                  He's successful, 75, and healthy and he didn't let those things hold him back.

forhair.com
                  Cole Hair Transplant
                  1070 Powers Place
                  Phone 678-566-1011
                  Never thought I'd see a 75 year old that could probably kick my ass, lol!!

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
                    • Jun 2013

i'm sorry but he looks awful. Baldness tends to defeat the whole purpose. And his big head doesn't match his body.
                    lol

Comment

• topcat
                      • May 2009

As far as working out goes genetics plays a very small factor everyone has the ability to reach their potential it might not be world class but it will be your potential.

I have been drug free my whole life and it’s about discipline, hard work, and knowledge. Most do not have the knowledge they only have marketing information. Most do not have the discipline. When I was younger I worked a 78 hour week and still worked out daily. Where does that discipline come from it comes from my parents maybe they didn’t have parents that instilled this discipline. Too many have simply not been raised to work hard and that is their problem. Too many soft guys working soft jobs living a soft life. You can’t expect them to get into the gym and bust their balls because they don’t bust their balls in real life so they just don’t understand the concept. Those are the guys that can’t do shit, whether it’s moving a refrigerator up 3 flights of stairs or pouring 5000 lbs of concrete they need to hire a real man to do it for them.

If you look at most world class athletes in very physical sports they come from working class backgrounds and that is not a coincidence. So maybe stop with the bullshit excuses.

BTW Clarence Bass is not lifetime drug free.

Comment

• fred970
                        • Nov 2009

Bullshit excuses? I'm 6"3' and I weigh 73 kg. Good luck "getting big" when you're in my shoes. No matter how you try to convince yourself, some people just can only get jacked if they bust their ass off as you say. What does that mean? Simple: it means they'd have dedicate their whole life to bodybuilding. How simple. It's just my opinion here but, what for? Why would someone spend loads of money, make themselves suffer 4 days a week, take tons of supplements only to become a stereotype?

This "hard work always pays off" ideology in bodybuilding is bullshit in my opinion. You can build a house with matches if you like, it's very hard work but it's possible.

Should you be admired or rewarded for such accomplishment?

Comment

• topcat
                          • May 2009

Anyone with knowledge would know that it takes very little time, eating normal amounts of food and zero supplements. But if you don’t have the knowledge you simply would not know this so that is understandable.

Those that believe otherwise base their knowledge on marketing hype, they are just not smart enough to know it as it takes a very long time to learn it.

Comment

• Jotronic
                            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by topcat
                            As far as working out goes genetics plays a very small factor everyone has the ability to reach their potential it might not be world class but it will be your potential.

I have been drug free my whole life and it’s about discipline, hard work, and knowledge. Most do not have the knowledge they only have marketing information. Most do not have the discipline. When I was younger I worked a 78 hour week and still worked out daily. Where does that discipline come from it comes from my parents maybe they didn’t have parents that instilled this discipline. Too many have simply not been raised to work hard and that is their problem. Too many soft guys working soft jobs living a soft life. You can’t expect them to get into the gym and bust their balls because they don’t bust their balls in real life so they just don’t understand the concept. Those are the guys that can’t do shit, whether it’s moving a refrigerator up 3 flights of stairs or pouring 5000 lbs of concrete they need to hire a real man to do it for them.

If you look at most world class athletes in very physical sports they come from working class backgrounds and that is not a coincidence. So maybe stop with the bullshit excuses.

BTW Clarence Bass is not lifetime drug free.
                            I have to agree with Topcat. The more I lift the more I learn. I've witnessed physical changes in myself in my early forties that I never experienced when I was lifting heavily in my early twenties. The difference is my nutrition. At first, I was utilizing nutrition along with weight training to lose body fat which in turned allowed me to lose weight. I lost 25 pounds in about 4 and a half months. Now I'm controlling my weight gain through this knowledge and in about another month I'll start the body fat reduction again to get leaner for the summer months.

I'm not a pro and I'm certainly not to a point that I could be in a magazine, not that I'd want to, but with what I've learned in the past year and a half I can regulate my body weight at will and be healthy doing it. What's funny is some of my friends make fun of me because I'm always checking into the gym on Facebook. "Joe is at **** Gym". It is part of my routine, my subconscious ritual I guess. They poke fun of me, they will make funny comments and I laugh too because it is funny but I also notice that every single one of them are overweight and would fall over from heart failure if they tried doing what I do on a daily basis. A year and a half ago I would have too. Education is key and is the only way around mental roadblocks. When you apply what you learn and you see the results it gets you pumped up, you get excited and the gains keep coming as long as you NEVER stop.
                            www.HassonandWong.com

All opinions are my own and may not necessarily be shared by Dr. Wong and/or Dr. Hasson.

If you are interested in having an online consultation visit www.hassonandwong.ca

To view my story and history visit my website at www.hairtransplantmentor.com

Comment

• fred970
                              • Nov 2009

This has always been my main concern. What if you stop? What if you go through a rough time in your life and you don't want to work out anymore? What happens then?

I've seen what athletes often become when they retire. It's sometimes quite scary to witness.

It always seems like an expensive gym membership is mandatory to stay fit. I just eat healthy foods and go walking, riding my bike or swimming whenever I can.

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
                                • Jun 2013

Look at his hair post-retirement...amazing!

Comment

Working...