+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast

Thread: S-equol again

I also like the idea of an independent lab test. It'd be nice to have confirmation on what it actually is, regardless of whether it works.

However, Nature's Sunshine states on their website that "Nature’s Sunshine’s Equolibrium uses a nature-identical source of equol derived from non-GMO daidzein." So we know where it is coming from, but what it ends up as is not that clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Adaku View Post
    I also like the idea of an independent lab test. It'd be nice to have confirmation on what it actually is, regardless of whether it works.

However, Nature's Sunshine states on their website that "Nature’s Sunshine’s Equolibrium uses a nature-identical source of equol derived from non-GMO daidzein." So we know where it is coming from, but what it ends up as is not that clear.
    The description on the website differs somewhat from the one used in responding to my email: "the equol in the Equolibrium is natural occurring equol." Hard to say but you would think they could be a little more direct and exacting. At any rate, please let me know if you find any independent labs that might be able to perform testing. As you may recall, the original response I received from Nature Made when they delayed their launch of s-equol was that there were quality control issues in the manufacture of the product. So it would be nice to know for sure that Nature's Sunshine has that under control.

Hey guys!

Maybe I’m gone make a very stupid point… but since unlike other DHT blockers equol does not prevent the production of DHT but only binds it directly… It’s not possible DHT levels on the body appear to be the same on a blood test?

Thanks for your comments

Quote Originally Posted by Gronholm View Post
    Hey guys!

Maybe I’m gone make a very stupid point… but since unlike other DHT blockers equol does not prevent the production of DHT but only binds it directly… It’s not possible DHT levels on the body appear to be the same on a blood test?

Thanks for your comments
    Any thoughts on the above?

I’m planning to jump in myself and going for the blood tests, but before I would like to be sure this is the right approach.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gronholm View Post
    Any thoughts on the above?

I’m planning to jump in myself and going for the blood tests, but before I would like to be sure this is the right approach.

Thanks
    I think your point is a good one. My guess is that it depends on exactly what type of test you have done. I know from the studies that they can measure bound and unbound DHT. But not sure if that type of test is available to an individual consumer, at least at a reasonable price.

Hi,
    I've been lurking around the forum for a while and have read this thread with a lot of interest.
    Firstly, I want to thank members like PinotQ and Adaku for testing this.

Adaku, I have a question about the blood tests you plan on taking. My understanding of the pharmacology of equol was that it binds to DHT to inactivate it. I thought it has no impact on the total concentration of the hormone but only its efficacy?

Apologies, to explain further I thought that there was no way to test active vs inactive (equol bound) DHT.

I've made a bit of research, and in almost every case of study that has been done on equol says that the serum DHT levels were reduced... My understanding is that ones inactivated it would no longer keep it's original composition so it should not appear as DHT on a blood test.

What do you guys think?

Gronholm, if inactivated and no longer appearing on test as dht I would say it is no better than fin in terms of both hairloss prevention and side effects?

Unless of course you can apply it locally to the follicle. Or prevent it entering the prostate area somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by brunobald View Post
    Gronholm, if inactivated and no longer appearing on test as dht I would say it is no better than fin in terms of both hairloss prevention and side effects?

Unless of course you can apply it locally to the follicle. Or prevent it entering the prostate area somehow.
    DHT is mainly involved in physical sex characteristics; the main issue with finasteride is 5 alpha reductase inhibition. finasteride modifies a lot of important neurosteroids(roughly 30 or so) to varying degrees in individuals and is believed to be why some experience cognitive/sexual side effects. This is why Equol is the ideal dht inhibitor/binder