What stage am I at? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default What stage am I at?

Hi,

I'm 25. First started noticing shedding around 2-3 years ago, but didn't take any action (big mistake). I just assumed it would stop on its own since my dad is in his 50s and he has thinning hair but still a decent hair line and my mom doesn't have any hair loss.

I've also always had itchy scalp, ever since I was young, which I assumed was dandruff, so I've simply been using head & shoulders dandruff shampoo.

What stage do you think I'm currently at? NW2 or 3?

I'm been using Nizoral and Rogaine foam currently for about 2 months, and would like to add an anti-DHT treatment to round it out. I was thinking of trying either 5% spironolactone cream or azelaic acid for the topical treatment, but I'm seeing mixed feedback from people online about these two options.

I'm also seeing some enthusiasm for RU. Would this be a good idea?

Or should I just stick with the tried and true propecia? I'd like to avoid it if possible due to the potential side effects, but if it looks bad I might not have much choice.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-15 00.11.51.jpg

Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	19427   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-15 00.12.20.jpg

Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	19428   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-15 00.20.36.jpg

Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	19429   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-15 00.54.31.jpg

Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	19430  

Quote Originally Posted by orangedude View Post
    Hi,

I'm 25. First started noticing shedding around 2-3 years ago, but didn't take any action (big mistake). I just assumed it would stop on its own since my dad is in his 50s and he has thinning hair but still a decent hair line and my mom doesn't have any hair loss.

I've also always had itchy scalp, ever since I was young, which I assumed was dandruff, so I've simply been using head & shoulders dandruff shampoo.

What stage do you think I'm currently at? NW2 or 3?

I'm been using Nizoral and Rogaine foam currently for about 2 months, and would like to add an anti-DHT treatment to round it out. I was thinking of trying either 5% spironolactone cream or azelaic acid for the topical treatment, but I'm seeing mixed feedback from people online about these two options.

I'm also seeing some enthusiasm for RU. Would this be a good idea?

Or should I just stick with the tried and true propecia? I'd like to avoid it if possible due to the potential side effects, but if it looks bad I might not have much choice.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
    No need to take that poison propecia, your hair looks fine. I guess its no more than NW2. In worst case, you could always have a hair transplant. I don't think your baldness will progress much further because like you said, your parents' hair are fine.

Propecia has been associated with permanent sexual dysfunction.

Please visit the following website and read the medical articles posted:

http://www.propeciahelp.com/

There is even a foundation to aid the growing number of patients who are failing to recover from the side effects due to their use of Propecia:

http://www.pfsfoundation.org/

Not everyone suffers side effects. If there is any baldness in your family then you could possibly inherit it. It sometimes skips a generation.

Quote Originally Posted by baldozer View Post
    No need to take that poison propecia, your hair looks fine. I guess its no more than NW2. In worst case, you could always have a hair transplant. I don't think your baldness will progress much further because like you said, your parents' hair are fine.
    I thought the same thing for the last 2-3 years, but yet I just kept shedding. So... I can't really sit back and do nothing anymore.

I'm not sure I can afford a hair transplant yet, so I'd like to try something else first. Are there any viable alternatives to propecia that doesn't cause as many side effects?

Well it comes down to your orals and topicals. There is minoxidil in a foam or liquid which may encourage regrowth, personally I don't rate it and once you use it, you're locked into it as you have to use it everyday to maintain hair.

Same applies to Finasteride, locked into it. Other alternatives are perhaps Saw Palmetto complex, I'm not sure of it's effectiveness, but perhaps worth a shot, no?

Obviously the 'final solution' would be a hair transplant, but like me, if it's out of your price range, then it's the big three until you win the lottery?

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    Well it comes down to your orals and topicals. There is minoxidil in a foam or liquid which may encourage regrowth, personally I don't rate it and once you use it, you're locked into it as you have to use it everyday to maintain hair.

Same applies to Finasteride, locked into it. Other alternatives are perhaps Saw Palmetto complex, I'm not sure of it's effectiveness, but perhaps worth a shot, no?

Obviously the 'final solution' would be a hair transplant, but like me, if it's out of your price range, then it's the big three until you win the lottery?
    Going to try adding Saw Palmetto complex for now, but I am a bit skeptical concerning it's effectiveness. If it gets any worse, I think I will have to start propecia.

To be honest thats where it's going to go. You have your experimental drugs (RU for example) and your up and coming (Histogen). It all depends on how severe it is.

Personally, whilst I think these treatments offer some medium term help, you want something which looks good and keeps your mind off the hairloss. In my case it was the meds, a buzzed head and working out. Id offer the same advice to you my friend.

Don't know if you've seen this thread: http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11049
    Sounds maybe not as effective as propecia, but it's good to have options.