Threaded View

Default List of treatments being trialled Part 2!(December 2012 edition)

Happy holidays/Merry Christmas everyone! back in July about 6 months ago, I created a thread called List of treatments and which ones you think will work. I decided to make another one 6 months later, using this as a sort of time capsule all in one to see how we are progressing, what new products may have shown up and what has failed.
    I'll show the original post right after this one.

Anyway, here's where we are currently, the expected release of the product, my personal and other's general viewpoint on the product and the current/next step in the product's trial.

Current FDA Approved Products:

1. Minoxidil- Approved in the late 1980's, topical solution for hairloss.
    What to expect from it- it should at least slow your loss a bit, a lucky few may gain a bit as well, do not expect major growth or maintanence however. very few if any sides however.

2. Finasteride/Propecia/Proscar- Proscar was approved in 1992, propecia(specifically for hairloss) was approved in 1997. A pill to be taken daily.
    What to expect from it- Currently the best product that has been approved, at the least it should maintain most of your hair, on average, people keep roughly the same hair for years, a small percentage(around 30% i believe) will see moderate regrowth. A lucky few may even go up a norwood(dont expect this though).
    -Expect some shedding, also the potential for side effects is there, such as sexual sides, so get to know the product thoroughly before taking it.

Current products being tested as of December 13th, 2012:

1.Histogen-Just ended/ending Phase II, Injection based product that promotes growth, latest information/update from October here: http://www.histogen.com/aboutus/news_events.htm
    Expected release: On track for late 2015 asia, 2016-2017 North America
    My Pov: Like my original post, this still excites me the most, especially with the latest update, it seems like a fantastic solution for moderate hairloss sufferers, even with growth on temples and reversing vellus hairs. Pictures were a slight dissapointment however.
    Next step: Phase IIb, I believe they are going to inject a wider area and attempt to inject more frequently now to see if the results are even better.

2.Bitmatoprost(Allergan): Phase II is done, with new results expected within the next couple months, pretty much an alternative to minoxidil, which could potentially be better. Clinical trial here:http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/N...toprost&rank=3
    Expected release: 2015 NA, unknown anywhere else
    My Pov: I'm still interested in this product, but it does pose a problem of pigmentation apparently, still, we'll see how well this product did in trials. I'd expect a small amount of growth, not much better than Min, but could very well be the first product approved in 15 years.
    Next step: Phase III, should begin within a few months.
    Side Note- This product IS available to the public for eye-lash extension, however, this is at a much lower dosage than what is being tested/getting results in the trials for hair so dont assume you'll get the same results using that stuff.

3.Replicel- No real update on this product, Phase IIa is over, Phase IIb has begun from what I understand, back to the drawing board to get more results. Don't give up on the product, just had dissapointing early results and will now modify the process in hopes to get better results.
    Expected release- probably 2017-2018 at current pace.
    my POV: Dissapointing early results, I'd await IIb results(which wont be released for around a year) before making final judgment.
    Next Step: Phase IIb.

4. Neogenic by L’Oréal- Garbage as far as I can see, don't waste your money.
    Expected release: already released.

5. Aderans- I described this in the wrong way last time, it's also an injection based solution that's been trialled for years now. They call it "Follicle neogenesis" Currently heading to Phase III from what I understand.
    Video of latest results(nov 2012) here: http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_JHbtXJ0a8
    Expected release: Potentially 2015, but struggling to get big results.
    My Pov: Latest results were very dissapointing, it seems to maintain to some degree, but the gains were not noticeable, HOWEVER that doesnt mean it doesnt work, it just may be better used as a complimentary product with say histogen, wouldnt get my hopes too high up though.
    Next step: From what I understand, Phase III.

6. OC000459- Inhibits PGD2, a theory thats popped up alot recently which apparently has alot to do with hairloss. Could only be a piece of the puzzle though. Currently being trialled for Asthma: http://www.news-medical.net/news/200...or-asthma.aspx
    Expected release- In Phase IIb for asthma, for hairloss could be quickly put to Phase II so 2015-2016 is possible.
    my POV: The theory sounds great, and more products need to be tested.

Side Note: A: Many companies are also testing PGD2 inhibitors, but this is usually in pill form, a solution may come through topical form only for baldness, pill form may do nothing for it.
    B: The drug Cetirizine is currently being used by people on the forum and other forums, it's apparently safe to take and inhibits PGD2, but take it at your own risk, as PGD2 itself hasnt been studied thoroughly. If you do still want to take the risk, the Cetirizine(zyrtec) pills are around 15 bucks for 1-2 months supply.

Other notable products:
    i. Merck studied PGD2 inhibitor(this is only for asthma currently)- phase IIb
    ii. CB-03-01- potential alternative to Fin, about to/just started clinical trials.
    iii. Equol- Potential alternative to fin, not being trialled
    iv. RU- Potential alternative to fin, not being trialled
    v. TB4- already released, havent seen amazing results but check it out for yourself.

As last time, please mention if I was wrong with any release date or other information and such, also if I missed any products. Part 3 will be next summer!