Been on Finasteride for 9 years, Shedding again

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • mrclean
    replied
    I would just stop propecia and start Avodart 3 days a week. Unfortunately there are no good studies on dosage but i only take it 2 days a week and it seems to maintain what i have.
    Here is some more information:
    We performed a meta-analysis to evaluate the efficacy and safety of dutasteride and finasteride in treating men with androgenetic alopecia (AGA) during a 24-week treatment cycle. Randomized controlled trials of dutasteride and finasteride for ...

    Leave a comment:


  • GoingBald34
    replied
    Originally posted by mrclean
    It seems to work after the propecia stopped working. You are shedding now so what do you have to lose. I never had any shedding on it but you can find horror stories on any medication on the web. Have you tried microneedling?
    Thanks for the helpful information. You have me convinced on starting Avodart. Do you recommend loading doses or start at .5mg per day, or is it better to continue to take propecia and substitute a couple days then slowly increase. Your insight is absolutely helpful and I appreciate it very much!

    Leave a comment:


  • mrclean
    replied
    It seems to work after the propecia stopped working. You are shedding now so what do you have to lose. I never had any shedding on it but you can find horror stories on any medication on the web. Have you tried microneedling?

    Leave a comment:


  • GoingBald34
    replied
    Originally posted by mrclean
    I also tried this for anxiety and it seemed to work. The main ingredient also helps for depression.

    Just google it:
    Zen Anxiety and Stress Relief Supplement
    Thanks for your help. How well has avodart worked for you in terms of stopping/slowing hair loss? I also used medicalwellnesscenter and had the doctor call in prescription to my local safeway. I have Avodart, I’m just so nervous about the shedding stories..a part of me says to continue to ride it out on propecia since it maintained for 9 years and didn’t kill my hair line, but a part of me says that if I don’t do something now, I may lose too much for Avodart to grow back.

    Leave a comment:


  • mrclean
    replied
    I also tried this for anxiety and it seemed to work. The main ingredient also helps for depression.

    Just google it:
    Zen Anxiety and Stress Relief Supplement

    Leave a comment:


  • mrclean
    replied
    Originally posted by GoingBald34
    Just an update: things are not looking good. I am still losing over a 50-100 hairs in the shower + when combing it just seems like they keep coming. Seems like no matter where i pull, I always end up with a piece of hair or 2. This was never the case in the past 9 years. Also happens in non mpb areas. I went ahead and put in a consultation to be prescribed Avodart. Since I’m already shedding, I’m no longer concerned about the Avodart sheds. I am extremely scared but at this point I can’t just depend on Propecia since it isn’t doing anything for me anymore. Could be TE due to the severe stress/depression this summer but I can’t just sit and wait for things to get worse 😢
    I get it from this place and just pick up at my pharmacy.

    Leave a comment:


  • HairGuru
    replied
    My guess the stress and depression has made things worse.

    I would try to eliminate your stress as that has probably imbalanced your hormones.

    You could try mixture I use:

    Topical lotion

    15% minoxidil
    0.1% finesteride
    5% azelaic acid
    0.25% progesterone
    0.025% tretinoin
    0.1% hydrocortisone

    Leave a comment:


  • GoingBald34
    replied
    Just an update: things are not looking good. I am still losing over a 50-100 hairs in the shower + when combing it just seems like they keep coming. Seems like no matter where i pull, I always end up with a piece of hair or 2. This was never the case in the past 9 years. Also happens in non mpb areas. I went ahead and put in a consultation to be prescribed Avodart. Since I’m already shedding, I’m no longer concerned about the Avodart sheds. I am extremely scared but at this point I can’t just depend on Propecia since it isn’t doing anything for me anymore. Could be TE due to the severe stress/depression this summer but I can’t just sit and wait for things to get worse 😢

    Leave a comment:


  • GoingBald34
    replied
    Thanks, I’m not that far gone yet, sitting at a NW 1.5. Wouldn’t be surprised if I hit NW2 sometimes soon. Good to know that there are options. May start Avodart if my frontal area starts thinning more. I’m suspecting either its stress/chronic depression related shed or Propecia is losing its effectiveness. I regressed to a NW 1.5 in 9 years, I guess the drug did do its job, just hoped that I wouldn’t lose ground. MPB is a life long battle, Im sure it will eventually win out in the end. Hoping for better future treatments.

    Leave a comment:


  • HairGuru
    replied
    Hey I will reply later as I am at work, but this will keep you positive as a last resort.

    You don’t have to give up!

    See their reviews are fantastic

    Award Winning Hair Replacement Specialists in London. Providing the highest quality men's hair systems, hair pieces and hair loss services. Affordable with guaranteed natural results.

    Leave a comment:


  • GoingBald34
    replied
    One thing I do want to mention is that Im hesitant to try DUT because of the horror stories of it destroying the hairline. I personally believe there is some truth to it, since it raises testosterone levels (on finasteride i measured to be a few points on the elevated side). My vertex and crown are fine for now, just don’t want to take the risk of losing the hair i have in the front since thats where slight thinning is starting to occur. There was a reddit user who got on fin because he was modeling and after several years started DUT to increase the results, he also stated it destroyed his hairline and he freaked out and stopped and grew it back on fin.

    Leave a comment:


  • GoingBald34
    replied
    Thanks so much for the reply. I feel like the stress and depression is just making it worse for me, because I feel like it can accelerate rapidly at any moment. I felt like this 9 years ago before and ended up shaving my head bald thinking I would be a NW6 or 7 overnight, but here we are 9 years later and finasteride slowed down the loss to a NW1.5. That feeling is slowly creeping back once you notice an obvious change when styling your hair the exact same way for 9 years. Im certainly ruining my marriage life as well. A part of me wants to accept the inevitable and throw in the towel, but losing my identity is a terrifying thought. This goes to show you, hair loss at any level, small or large, can be absolutely devastating and life crushing. I feel like life will be over soon, but I will certainly try the recommendations.

    Leave a comment:


  • HairGuru
    replied
    Hey sounds like finesteride is still working as people have maintained hair on finesteride after 22 years and 15 years.

    I would guess your stress and the fact you applied minoxidil and stopped would also cause more shedding.

    My advice get some hair oils and ketaconazole shampoo. You could also consider adding topical finesteride to target he weak areas.

    I use divine herbal oils and 15% topical minoxidil with added finesteride aswell as taking internal every other day.

    Leave a comment:


  • GoingBald34
    replied
    Thanks for the reply. How would I get a prescription for Dutasteride? I doubt my dermatologist would prescribe that. The HT specialist I saw said he doesn’t recommend that, and advised to stay on Finasteride.

    Leave a comment:


  • mrclean
    replied
    Yes fin loses its effectiveness after a while. One application of rogaine foam will not do anything. You could try avodart and rogaine liquid and just apply at night, I use the Equate brand from walmart. Just want to keep as much as you can until a better treatment comes along.

    Leave a comment:

Working...