Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jack21
    • Sep 2010

thanks for the link

Thanks for that link. I will definitely try it. I also have some burn scars on my chest that could benefit fro this stuff. We'll see. Hopefully I'll have some luck.

Originally posted by chasguy
    There are non-surgical methods of scar treatment. If you're going to shave your head anyway, look into silicone sheeting. Below are some before-after pics I pulled from the web. No one knows for sure why silicone sheeting works, but it does actually work for many people

http://www.rejuveness.com/Scar-Treat...tures-c37.html

Comment

• chasguy
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Jack21
      Thanks for that link. I will definitely try it. I also have some burn scars on my chest that could benefit fro this stuff. We'll see. Hopefully I'll have some luck.
      I have a scar on my ankle I'm testing Cica Care on right now. Maybe in a few months I'll have a personal experience to share

Comment

• jsw72
        • Sep 2010

Hi,
        Just read your story and wanted to add my sentiments. I started losing my hear around 20 years of age - I'm now 38. It bothered me a lot at the start and as the years have gone on, I'm ok with with it. Sometimes it pees me off just because I can't change my appearance, other than growing a beard which sees me looking like a member of the Taliban (I keep it shaved - with a razor for about the last 8 years but in the last year, started letting it grow a little but only to a stubble).

The only reason I'm on here is because I saw someone on telly with nice thick hair and I thought 'lucky b@stard'. I started Googling hair transplants and was shocked by the number of celebs who have had transplants.

Anyway, just registering to pass on my support from the UK, and tell you that you look really good (I'm not gay or ought). You're probably finding it tougher because you're a good looking dude - if you were ugly you might not be as bothered.

I've not seen your scars but in my (completely unprofessional opinion) I'd see what the experts advice would be on minimising it and shave the dome. It's the way forward.

Good luck.

Comment

• Jack21
          • Sep 2010

Thanks for your comments. They are very much appreciated. I think I can tell from your English that you're from the UK. I lived in England for a year a while back and I noticed that it is far, far more common for men to shave their heads in England than in the US. For the most part the only guys you see in the States with shaved heads are African-American. I hardly ever see a Caucasian guy with a shaved head here. Obviously in the military shaved heads (for guys who were bald and guys who had hair) were everywhere. Every other guy has a shaved head. In the white collar working world, however, it is just really not accepted as made only too evident by the horrendous reaction I got at my job. My brother shaves his head as does my best friend, but both are blue collar guys - firefighters. It is completely ok in some contexts, but utterly rejected in others. I find it disgusting that I was treated the way I was when I shaved my head and for the weeks afterward. If one lives in a society or in part of a given society that does not disparage baldness, mock baldness, equate baldness with weakness - such as the military - one is never made to feel anything "less than". I should have just stayed in the army for the rest of my life. Too bad I began to have moral objections to some of our "adventures" and resigned my commission.

Originally posted by jsw72
          Hi,
          Just read your story and wanted to add my sentiments. I started losing my hear around 20 years of age - I'm now 38. It bothered me a lot at the start and as the years have gone on, I'm ok with with it. Sometimes it pees me off just because I can't change my appearance, other than growing a beard which sees me looking like a member of the Taliban (I keep it shaved - with a razor for about the last 8 years but in the last year, started letting it grow a little but only to a stubble).

The only reason I'm on here is because I saw someone on telly with nice thick hair and I thought 'lucky b@stard'. I started Googling hair transplants and was shocked by the number of celebs who have had transplants.

Anyway, just registering to pass on my support from the UK, and tell you that you look really good (I'm not gay or ought). You're probably finding it tougher because you're a good looking dude - if you were ugly you might not be as bothered.

I've not seen your scars but in my (completely unprofessional opinion) I'd see what the experts advice would be on minimising it and shave the dome. It's the way forward.

Good luck.

Comment

• jsw72
            • Sep 2010

...and weirdly enough, my mum also had alopecia. My mum and dad split up when I was born leaving her to look after three kids; she quickly lost her hair (in her early thirties) and it has been very patchy and thin ever since. Now she is in her sixties and it's much less noticeable because a lot of people her age have thinning hair. She's dealt with it admirably, especially because at the time there was little knowledge of it. A positive thing about the internet is the spread of knowledge and greater 'acceptance' of these things.

Just read your reply...yes, you're right, a lot of guys over here shave their heads. At one stage, a few years ago, most guys shaved their heads; now (sadly) it's becoming slightly less common with the change in fashions and longer hairstyles but that's life I guess...

Comment

• mattj
              Doctor Representative
              • Oct 2009

You look like Rambo in the Halloween pic.

Anyway, you seem to have far more hair on your head than I was expecting. I think the photo above Rambo of your "real head" is without any sort of concealers, correct? The photos aren't very clear, but I would say that it looks promising that you could benefit greatly from a procedure to improve the scar, break up the grafts if they are as unnatural as you say they are (can't tell from the photo) and add density to the top. (Again, if it's as thin as you say it is, because it's hard to tell from the photos).

You should definitely start researching repair procedures as I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by what is possible.

As a footnote, I'm in the UK and I agree with what you said about shaved heads. They're everywhere, they're normal and I think they look pretty good for the most part.
              I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Comment

• Jack21
                • Sep 2010

understanding you correctly, Matt

Matt,

Yes, in the picture in which I have a shaved head and appear very miserable there is absolutely no use of any concealers whatsoever. I do pretty much have a "fullish" head of stubble - the scar is the problem.

In all honesty you have to be about 1cm away from my scalp to notice the bumpiness of the recipient area, the scar at the back, however, is visible from about 1km away.

What I understand from you is that I should research (perhaps arrange a physician's consultation) methods of scar reduction (perhaps FUE into the scar itself). Am I correct in this? As for "adding density at the top" - that would require further harvesting of the donor area, would it not? That is not something I am willing to do. One scar is bad enough, thank you very much.

Eventually people will have to get used to my shaved dome. My brother shaves his head as does my best friend Stacey, but I think that I have mentioned that. If this white collar world once again rejects me utterly, I will move into another aspect of the working world.

Originally posted by mattj
                You look like Rambo in the Halloween pic.

Anyway, you seem to have far more hair on your head than I was expecting. I think the photo above Rambo of your "real head" is without any sort of concealers, correct? The photos aren't very clear, but I would say that it looks promising that you could benefit greatly from a procedure to improve the scar, break up the grafts if they are as unnatural as you say they are (can't tell from the photo) and add density to the top. (Again, if it's as thin as you say it is, because it's hard to tell from the photos).

You should definitely start researching repair procedures as I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by what is possible.

As a footnote, I'm in the UK and I agree with what you said about shaved heads. They're everywhere, they're normal and I think they look pretty good for the most part.

Comment

• mattj
                  Doctor Representative
                  • Oct 2009

Jack, the only reason I mentioned a further procedure (and harvesting more of the donor) was because you were unhappy with having a shaved head and said that your hair was too thin on top to grow out. (It doesn't look thin in the photo, but you described it that way, and photos don't always tell the truth)

If you added density to the top, you could then grow your hair longer, hiding the scar at the back (which would also be improved during the procedure) and obscuring the bumpy recipient area. It would basically be another transplant procedure which also removed existing scar tissue and re-closed the wound so that it is thinner and hair grows through it (trichophytic scar closure). The ability to reduce the size of the scar and the general success of this procedure does depend on various factors that I couldn't possibly know, but I'm just saying that this is something that is done.

If you don't want to go down that route, then yes, the scar might be improved with the addition of some grafts extracted via FUE. If you wish to carry on shaving and do nothing, and just try and put this all behind you, then I wouldn't dream of trying to talk you out of that. It's just that the impression you have given is of someone very unhappy with his situation, and I wanted to let you know that other people have been through this and come out the other side looking so much better.
                  I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Comment

• Jack21
                    • Sep 2010

Thanks for the concern and the advice. I will weigh my options and will possibly consult a surgeon about this situation. I need to have several burn scars attended to at any rate and may as well bring up the hair issue while I'm there. It is a bit ridiculous when I think about the fact that I am going to a plastic surgeon about scars from wounds that almost killed me and I am worrying about my hair. We are a strange species or maybe I am just a very strange person. Matters of life and death seem insignificant now in comparison with something as seemingly trivial as hair loss. It doesn't make any sense. Maybe I should go for the look in this picture: (the swamp thing afro) Have to laugh sometimes, right?

Originally posted by mattj
                    Jack, the only reason I mentioned a further procedure (and harvesting more of the donor) was because you were unhappy with having a shaved head and said that your hair was too thin on top to grow out. (It doesn't look thin in the photo, but you described it that way, and photos don't always tell the truth)

If you added density to the top, you could then grow your hair longer, hiding the scar at the back (which would also be improved during the procedure) and obscuring the bumpy recipient area. It would basically be another transplant procedure which also removed existing scar tissue and re-closed the wound so that it is thinner and hair grows through it (trichophytic scar closure). The ability to reduce the size of the scar and the general success of this procedure does depend on various factors that I couldn't possibly know, but I'm just saying that this is something that is done.

If you don't want to go down that route, then yes, the scar might be improved with the addition of some grafts extracted via FUE. If you wish to carry on shaving and do nothing, and just try and put this all behind you, then I wouldn't dream of trying to talk you out of that. It's just that the impression you have given is of someone very unhappy with his situation, and I wanted to let you know that other people have been through this and come out the other side looking so much better.

Comment

• Don'tDoIt
                      • Jul 2010

Jack21, you are not strange in the least. Many of us are just as self-conscious of our hair transplant scars. Remember, you are not alone. There are many of us out here who regret our hair transplants.

I have a noticeable strip scar just like you. I have toyed with the idea of getting FUE into it, but I want to see more success stories before I go for that.

And you will have bright days ahead. The mental toughness that it took to be a soldier is the same mental toughness that will get you though this.

Comment

• Jack21
                        • Sep 2010

So what do you do now? Do you just shave your hair/ cut it very short scar and all? After all this discussion I am toying with the idea of yanking the rug today and coming to work on Monday with a shaved (#2) dome. I don't have a tan anymore and the color difference is not so bad. I only mention the color difference b/c that was the only criticism people who otherwise liked or didn't mind the shaved look made. The prospect has me nervous b/c I know what the reaction will be like, but I also knew what was going to happen every time we pulled convoy duty in Hasbaya. I can't continue to allow fear of other people's reactions to my looks to control my life. The freedom to work out and sweat profusely every day and to be able to run or bike in the heat of the day, to swim! I love all of these things and all have been severely restricted by my hair "solutions". Not to mention how ashamed I am that I wear a rug.

Originally posted by Don'tDoIt
                        Jack21, you are not strange in the least. Many of us are just as self-conscious of our hair transplant scars. Remember, you are not alone. There are many of us out here who regret our hair transplants.

I have a noticeable strip scar just like you. I have toyed with the idea of getting FUE into it, but I want to see more success stories before I go for that.

And you will have bright days ahead. The mental toughness that it took to be a soldier is the same mental toughness that will get you though this.

Comment

• Don'tDoIt
                          • Jul 2010

In response to your question about what I currently do with my hair, right now I am pretty much rocking a horseshoe look.

My recipient area is very sparse and sort of pluggy, but my wife says that it is not pluggy enough to be noticeable to most people. She tells me not to bother to get the pluggy 2-hair and and 3-hair grafts removed.

On the back and sides, I have the hair at about a half-inch long, just long enough to cover the lousy strip scar. I will say that if I bend my head forward so that my chin touches my chest, it really opens up the view of the strip scar. That is why I have to keep the hair at least a half-inch long.

Do I like the horseshoe look? It is OK for me. Things could be a lot worse. It is a much better way to go than wearing a rug. Get rid of yours, for crying out loud. You look great without it!

Comment

• Jack21
                            • Sep 2010

misery misery and more misery

I yanked the rug and shaved my head with a number 1 guard. I got exactly the same reaction as last year. I am trying to weather this storm of stares and gaping mouths and "Jack! Why on earth did you do that to yourself?" Its nice being free but it ain't that nice. I lasted about a month last year before I couldn't handle the insults, jokes, and terrified looks anymore. I know that I cannot go back and change the past but if I could I would change only one thing: I would not have had this life ruining hair transplant.

Originally posted by Don'tDoIt
                            In response to your question about what I currently do with my hair, right now I am pretty much rocking a horseshoe look.

My recipient area is very sparse and sort of pluggy, but my wife says that it is not pluggy enough to be noticeable to most people. She tells me not to bother to get the pluggy 2-hair and and 3-hair grafts removed.

On the back and sides, I have the hair at about a half-inch long, just long enough to cover the lousy strip scar. I will say that if I bend my head forward so that my chin touches my chest, it really opens up the view of the strip scar. That is why I have to keep the hair at least a half-inch long.

Do I like the horseshoe look? It is OK for me. Things could be a lot worse. It is a much better way to go than wearing a rug. Get rid of yours, for crying out loud. You look great without it!

Comment

• dgman21
                              • Sep 2010

Jack,
                              I know how upset you are about the HT. But i have to ask did you notice any positive results from the transplant? (You hair get thicker in the areas you want?)

Comment

• Jack21
                                • Sep 2010

If nobody ever stood behind me ever

Well if nobody ever saw the back of my head I guess I could say that I am moderately satisfied. Note that I said "IF NOBODY EVER SAW THE BACK OF MY HEAD". Yeah the top of my head is fuller than it was - nowhere near enough hair to look like anything but stringy, very thin hair when grown out, but enough to look full on top when it is stubble. The problem is of course the enormous scar at the back. I am looking into camouflaging the scar with scalp tattooing (variously known as about 25 different names). If the scar were even made to look little less noticeable I would be happy. But that is a huge and difficult to achieve IF. If you're 45 and thinking about this, I imagine that you may have reasonable expectations. If you are in your 20's I don't think that it is actually possible, try as you might, to have reasonable expectations. If I were a surgeon I would operate on no patient under the age of 35.

Originally posted by dgman21
                                Jack,
                                I know how upset you are about the HT. But i have to ask did you notice any positive results from the transplant? (You hair get thicker in the areas you want?)

Comment

Working...