21 and going bald

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Thebaldone1
    Member
    • Apr 2010
    • 50

    21 and going bald

    Well I just turned 21 in march, but I can safely say I have been losing my hair since I was 20. I want to get a HT, but I'm new to all of this and don't know of any doctors. My hair is pretty long so you can't really see how thin it is, but my receiving hairline is horrible. Any information would be nice. I was also thinking about shaving it completely and starting rogaine?
    Attached Files
  • KeepTheHair
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2010
    • 1215

    #2
    see a doctor

    get on rogaine + propecia


    Don't get a hairtransplant untill your older. once your cut your cut etc

    Comment

    • Fixed by 35
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2010
      • 618

      #3
      Okay, these are the four steps I recommend you take:

      1) Go to a doctor and get a precription for Propecia. If they won't give you a prescription, buy it from Inhouse Pharmacy on the internet. Take the recommended dosage daily. Avoid missing doses.

      Take this for one year. If you are disatisfied with the results, take Avodart instead.

      Do not worry about the side effects. Most people don't get them. A lot of the reported side effects have more to do with the subject's age rather than taking the drug.

      2) Purchase the strongest minoxidil you can find and apply twice daily.

      3) Wash your hair with Nizoral. You can use Revivogen if you prefer, but Nizoral is a shampoo which many think should be FDA approved for hair loss. Some experts in hair loss do recommend it, it would be interesting to hear what some of the doctor's on the site think.

      Avoid shampoos with Sodium Laurel Sulphate at all costs.

      4) Blank out all suggestions to shave your head and get on with your life. People saying these things are not acting in your best interests. One day hair loss treatments will be available but may only be effective for those who have preserved what they can of their hair.

      Comment

      • Thebaldone1
        Member
        • Apr 2010
        • 50

        #4
        Thanks, I was just a little worried about the side effects of it though, what about adovart, does it have less side effects? The only reason I was thinking of shaving it well buzzing it was to take the rogaine foam because I know that you shed pretty bad on it so I thought it would look better if I atleast had really short hair then long

        Comment

        • Fixed by 35
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2010
          • 618

          #5
          Avodart has more severe side effects and isn't FDA approved for hair loss. Personally, I just think it's stronger and it gets the job done (as well as any drug can anyway).

          Don't expect miracles from anything available though. For most people, the most they can hope for is maintenance. Regrowth of lost hair is far less common (though age is on your side in that respect).

          Comment

          • KeepTheHair
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2010
            • 1215

            #6
            Just take propecia at first, 1mg finasteride.

            IMO don't take the strongest minoxidil until you have tried 5% and it hasn't worked.

            Comment

            • Fixed by 35
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2010
              • 618

              #7
              I'd say go straight to strength. It's easier to preserve what you have, and if you use something too weak you'll make the job later a lot harder. Believe me, I know.

              Comment

              • Winston
                Moderator
                • Mar 2009
                • 943

                #8
                Originally posted by Fixed by 35
                I'd say go straight to strength. It's easier to preserve what you have, and if you use something too weak you'll make the job later a lot harder. Believe me, I know.
                Fixed by 35 you are providing extremely irresponsible advice! The key is to start with the lowest possible dosage of any medication and only increase the dosage if or when you need to. More is not necessarily better in every scenario and in fact can impair progress in some cases. Revivogen will have no benefit in the treatment of hair loss .

                Comment

                • Fixed by 35
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2010
                  • 618

                  #9
                  I'm allowed to be irresponsible, I'm not a doctor! Of course, I should clarify, I'm from the 'Fight Hairloss to the Death' School, so I take much bigger risks than others might.

                  Comment

                  • ODB
                    Junior Member
                    • Sep 2009
                    • 6

                    #10
                    It sucks going bald at 21. I'm 23 and know exactly what you're going through (since 17). I kept my hair long for all of my childhood which complimented my surfer and "rebellious" lifestyle. After years of hapless worrying about my condition, I finally decided to accept what I could not control. I still keep it longer and have decent coverage but accept that it's a losing battle (if there were viable treatments, there would be no bald men). Rogaine only amplified my bald spots and propecia was never an option (it turns men into eunichs)

                    All I have to say is that you must see the world from your own perspective and realize that everyone is different. No one is safe from imperfections and it seems to become clearer as I mature. Everyone has their problems and it's silly to see so many grown men fret about these problems relating to vanity. We have become such an image obsessed culture that people think that how you look is how you are. It's great to have conversations with people and blow their minds when I talk in depth about politics and business (looking like a stoned surfer). It's crazy to see how prejudice everyone is about how you look, but change that when they discover how you are.

                    Of course the men on here who worry about being bald won't be the ones who own their look and become successful in spite of their shortcomings (only the strong will'd people do). I highly respect the "f it" attitude held by most men who face balding. I'd rather be a human who accepts his fate in this ONE CHANCE of life we have than someone who pathetically tries to cheat fate. Once you see the truth (and it's not easy to come to terms with) you will find that hair, vanity, image, and worshipping youth isn't what makes a person successful or happy.

                    Comment

                    • KeepTheHair
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2010
                      • 1215

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Fixed by 35
                      I'm allowed to be irresponsible, I'm not a doctor! Of course, I should clarify, I'm from the 'Fight Hairloss to the Death' School, so I take much bigger risks than others might.

                      SIGN ME UP SIGN ME UP!!! TEACH ME GREAT MASTER. !!!
                      lol

                      I am actually planning on getting 15% minox as soon as I can.

                      Originally posted by ODB
                      It sucks going bald at 21. I'm 23 and know exactly what you're going through (since 17). I kept my hair long for all of my childhood which complimented my surfer and "rebellious" lifestyle. After years of hapless worrying about my condition, I finally decided to accept what I could not control. I still keep it longer and have decent coverage but accept that it's a losing battle (if there were viable treatments, there would be no bald men). Rogaine only amplified my bald spots and propecia was never an option (it turns men into eunichs)

                      All I have to say is that you must see the world from your own perspective and realize that everyone is different. No one is safe from imperfections and it seems to become clearer as I mature. Everyone has their problems and it's silly to see so many grown men fret about these problems relating to vanity. We have become such an image obsessed culture that people think that how you look is how you are. It's great to have conversations with people and blow their minds when I talk in depth about politics and business (looking like a stoned surfer). It's crazy to see how prejudice everyone is about how you look, but change that when they discover how you are.

                      Of course the men on here who worry about being bald won't be the ones who own their look and become successful in spite of their shortcomings (only the strong will'd people do). I highly respect the "f it" attitude held by most men who face balding. I'd rather be a human who accepts his fate in this ONE CHANCE of life we have than someone who pathetically tries to cheat fate. Once you see the truth (and it's not easy to come to terms with) you will find that hair, vanity, image, and worshipping youth isn't what makes a person successful or happy.
                      Dude, there are good treatments. You don't have to accept it. Many people have kept and regrown good hair. And they look MUCH BETTER than going bald because of it. AND YES. it is worth the time and money!

                      Definitely is.

                      I will do whatever I can. Because if I go bald and didn't do anything I doubt i could ever forgive myself. And if there comes a cure along the lines sometime in the future...I want it to work to its maximum potential. If it can add hair. No point in being a norwood20 when you go for treatment!

                      We are fighting a worthy battle here

                      Comment

                      • JOE-91
                        Member
                        • Jan 2010
                        • 72

                        #12
                        Very wise words ODB, if you can follow through with that thinking you will be happy. Losers like keepthehair really are in the minority when it comes to balding when you actually get out there in real life.

                        'You' are fighting a worthy battle keepthehair, don't put every balding man in the same sad box that your in.

                        Comment

                        • smileyface19
                          Member
                          • May 2009
                          • 53

                          #13
                          KeeptheHair and fixedby35 aren't very cool. This forum is about giving the RIGHT advice (regardless of being a doctor or not) because people can't always get it elsewhere. If YOU (keepthehair and fixedby35) want to rot that's fine, but don't jeopardize other people from being able to treat their condition properly, who want to find a cure and live successful lives. Don't blame others because you're unhappy with the cards you've been dealt (you're whiny). I recently shaved my head, and it's not that bad, it feels great and takes no time to style (oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I'm not a meathead or a jock). I'd love to have hair more but I can't, and I get that now and I'm almost okay with that. Of everything I've learned about this experience, is that life is short and at the end of the road do you want to be the one who achieved success or not? That's the bottom line and everything in between is just an obstacle, including hair loss, in my opinion.

                          Comment

                          • Winston
                            Moderator
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 943

                            #14
                            Well put smileyface. I think itís fair to say that most of us fall somewhere in the middle of the curve when it comes to how we feel about our hair loss. We also have to remember that some of us come here with less knowledge about treatments then others, so it is good for those the know to help educate those who might be posting from the hip, so to speak. Fixed by 35 is on the extreme end of the self loathing spectrum, but I do understand how he feels because I have felt the same at times. However I also know that there are far worse things then hair loss and I choose to live the best life I can no matter how things turn out for me.

                            Comment

                            • KeepTheHair
                              Senior Member
                              • Mar 2010
                              • 1215

                              #15
                              I never told any one to go get minoxidil 15% from the start, or dutasteride from the start.

                              I really try to give good advice, even though I am a novice myself.


                              I was kidding about going extreme, although I would not stop myself from doing it all that much in the future if I had tried all other treatments.

                              Fixed By 35 has been very useful to me as a new user here, unlike you. He has provided me with lots of information to be honest. I appreciate that and respect him for it. Sure he has extreme views...I don't care. I think hair loss sucks and we just admit it. If it doesn't bother you, then whatever.

                              It bothers us. A lot.

                              Comment

                              Working...