X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • townie
    • Aug 2012

Best/Most effective way to take Finasteride

Hey guys,
    I have recently started taking Proscar. I would just like to know what is the best and most effective way to take it? The tablet is a 5mg tablet but i split it up into quarters and I take 1/4 a day. What time of the day is the best time to take it? How effective is the small 1/4 piece of the tablet? Should i take it after a meal or does that even matter since the 1/4 piece is so small?

Thanks guy,
    Townie.
  • goldbondmafia
    • Oct 2011

I don't think it matters , I just take it between 12-3 in the afternoon 1mg

Comment

• youngin
      • Nov 2010

It probably doesn't matter. A few studies I've seen show that your testosterone is the highest early morning (~5-6AM) which is probably the time you have the highest DHT level also. It it were me I would take it before I went to bed for that reason. It stays in your system a long time though so it probably doesn't matter.

Comment

• alik4n
        • Jul 2013

Just like to know, as I'm doing some researching, how effective is the M W F routine? I know fin has a short half life but it's effects are long lasting... and so shouldn't this routine be just as effective as 1mg a day?

Comment

• youngin
          • Nov 2010

I think it's funny they say the half life is 6 hours, while the effects of Fin go far longer than that. See page 400 here: http://books.google.com/books?id=v0Q...ar%20&pg=PA400 . Also its interesting that the half life of Dut is 5 weeks!! That sounds more like it.

Comment

• alik4n
            • Jul 2013

Originally posted by youngin
            I think it's funny they say the half life is 6 hours, while the effects of Fin go far longer than that. See page 400 here: http://books.google.com/books?id=v0Q...ar%20&pg=PA400 . Also its interesting that the half life of Dut is 5 weeks!! That sounds more like it.
            So theoretically, an every other day or mon/wed/fri routine would be just as effective?

Comment

• youngin
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by alik4n
              So theoretically, an every other day or mon/wed/fri routine would be just as effective?
              Looks that way to me.

Comment

• alik4n
                • Jul 2013

Looks that way to me.
                Money saving science!

Comment

• KO1
                  • Jan 2012

Looks that way to me.
                  No! Taking it every other day or MWF is not going to be as effective. Just take the normal dose. 1mg every day. Why overcomplicate? If you're trying to save money, get generic.

As for timing, anytime is ok, but be consistent, I like to take it before going to bed, because I know I won't forget then. Food doesn't matter, I prefer to take it before so it can hit my bloodstream ASAP.

Comment

• BigThinker
                    • Oct 2012

Just take it around the same time everyday. Nuff said.

Comment

• StuckInARut
                      • Aug 2012

I take 1.25mg every morning right after I get up, this seems to work out best for me.

Comment

• youngin
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by KO1
                        No! Taking it every other day or MWF is not going to be as effective. Just take the normal dose. 1mg every day. Why overcomplicate? If you're trying to save money, get generic.
                        Yes your response had much more studies backing it than mine.

Comment

• KO1
                          • Jan 2012

Yes your response had much more studies backing it than mine.
                          Your response has absolutely ZERO studies backing it. Nothing has shown that lower doses of finasteride are as good at keeping hair as 1mg.

Comment

• youngin
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by KO1
                            Your response has absolutely ZERO studies backing it. Nothing has shown that lower doses of finasteride are as good at keeping hair as 1mg.
                            Apparently you can't read. The chart was put together from studies. YOU have ZERO studies. You are just guessing blindly.

Comment

• KO1
                              • Jan 2012

Again, you did not post any evidence that 0.5mg is as good as 1mg at retaining hair. It has nothing to do with my reading skills, which are great.

Feel free to post hair count data. But I don't expect a response.

Comment

Working...