Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • inkt2002
    • Mar 2012

Vitamin D cure?

While you've probably heard of the expensive treatments likes Rogaine and Propecia, the latest hair loss remedy is so simple it's silly: Vitamin D. This basic nutrient is all the rage in baldness research, according to a new report in The Wall Street Journal. Unlike the products currently on the market, innovative new treatments targeting vitamin D receptors have the ability to help people who are already bald regrow their hair.
  • rdawg
    • Jun 2012

35 million suffering from baldness jeeze. Think of the money that this industry has yet to tap. Billiondollar industry for the company that discovers/makes an actual cure.

btw I'm not sold on this whole vitamin d thing, as it states in the article its only a small piece of the puzzle and consuming more vitamin d wont do anything.

Comment

• lorrydriver
      • Dec 2011

It helped me with my skin problems, i had a dry skin and irritated after shaving, since i took a course of 6 months i have a better skin but nothing on hair :-

Comment

• Davey Jones
        • Apr 2012

Originally posted by lorrydriver
        It helped me with my skin problems, i had a dry skin and irritated after shaving, since i took a course of 6 months i have a better skin but nothing on hair :-
        What's a course? Did you take capsules or try to eat foods rich in Vitamin D?

P.S. Is English not your native language? Quick tip, we don't use articles before "skin." For instance, we don't have "a" skin. We just have skin.

Comment

• NotBelievingIt
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by rdawg
          btw I'm not sold on this whole vitamin d thing, as it states in the article its only a small piece of the puzzle and consuming more vitamin d wont do anything.

Bingo. Unless mega-dosing is involved, who knows. But that can not be safe.

The problem isn't necessarily the amount of vit d, as they describe its about HOW its (effectively) used.

Comment

• Dazza
            • Jun 2012

Originally posted by NotBelievingIt
            Bingo. Unless mega-dosing is involved, who knows. But that can not be safe.

The problem isn't necessarily the amount of vit d, as they describe its about HOW its (effectively) used.
            Indeed, they even state this in the article.

"Don't get all excited and go buy a boatload of vitamin D, though. The advances in research have less to do with the presence of the nutrient that it does with how your body uses it."

What they are suggesting is not the amount of vitamin D but rather how vitamin D is Reacting with the follicles receptors.

Comment

• DepressedByHairLoss
              • Feb 2011

What kills me is that this would be so easy to try. All a doctor has to do is inject Vitamin D into the scalp, especially since these Vitamin D discoveries seem to be very promising. Since injecting Vitamin D would be all natural, this could be started right away and FDA approval would not be needed. But no, instead we're being offered utter bulls**t like head tattooing, which has no science behind it whatsoever.

Comment

• Tracy C
                • Sep 2011

Most people above the Mason Dixon line are Vitamin D deficient. Though I don't believe taking extra Vitamin D would help treat hair loss in any appreciable way, it is easy and inexpensive to try. If you live in certain climates you probably need to take supplemental Vitamin D anyways.

Comment

• NotBelievingIt
                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by DepressedByHairLoss
                  What kills me is that this would be so easy to try. All a doctor has to do is inject Vitamin D into the scalp, especially since these Vitamin D discoveries seem to be very promising. Since injecting Vitamin D would be all natural, this could be started right away and FDA approval would not be needed. But no, instead we're being offered utter bulls**t like head tattooing, which has no science behind it whatsoever.
                  That likely won't do anything.

The problem is that the Vit D isn't being used properly by the follicile. Much in the same way some folliciles don't defend against DHT for whatever reason. They apparently don't use Vit D correctly either.

But the real question would be whether thats pre-hair loss, or once the same factors that cause DHT to squeeze are beginning to play.

Comment

• DepressedByHairLoss
                    • Feb 2011

The thing is though, we'll never know until it's tried. I think it could have a positive effect on hair growth and even if it doesn't, it can't really be that expensive to try and it won't have any permanent side effects or head scarring.

Comment

• UK_
                      • Feb 2011

Wow lol.. I mean wow..

This does nothing but show how low some people will stoop for media attention - its been known for years that Vitamin D plays a role in the differentiation of keratinocytes - the fact that these idiots have the nerve to release YET ANOTHER article proclaiming the "cure is around the corner" simply makes me sick.

No different to the PGD2 articles that WRONGLY stated the cure will be on the shelves in 2 years - even Follica had to correct them and state it could be another 10 years before it hits market, then again Follica stated the cure was 5 years away back in 2008, so dont expect anything a decade from now either.

The thing with these researchers is they sometimes discover a regular known compound like a vitamin is involved in the differentiation of stem cells or something and then run a muck with the media to hit reader targets proclaiming that the cure to baldness is nearly here - I say stfu until you can show hair growth.

Comment

• Erick
                        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by UK_
                        Wow lol.. I mean wow..

This does nothing but show how low some people will stoop for media attention - its been known for years that Vitamin D plays a role in the differentiation of keratinocytes - the fact that these idiots have the nerve to release YET ANOTHER article proclaiming the "cure is around the corner" simply makes me sick.

No different to the PGD2 articles that WRONGLY stated the cure will be on the shelves in 2 years - even Follica had to correct them and state it could be another 10 years before it hits market, then again Follica stated the cure was 5 years away back in 2008, so dont expect anything a decade from now either.

The thing with these researchers is they sometimes discover a regular known compound like a vitamin is involved in the differentiation of stem cells or something and then run a muck with the media to hit reader targets proclaiming that the cure to baldness is nearly here - I say stfu until you can show hair growth.
                        You're right man, the media makes me sick. They are so unethical when it comes to health matters, they don't give a s**t as long as they make the most money. All they care about is the headline to attract new readers. It's actually the same thing in the scientific community, that one guy who published the work of the higs particle. He didn't think that would attract that many readers, so what did he do? He called it "The God Particle". Of course people are going to read that shit and love it.

Comment

• UK_
                          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Erick
                          You're right man, the media makes me sick. They are so unethical when it comes to health matters, they don't give a s**t as long as they make the most money. All they care about is the headline to attract new readers. It's actually the same thing in the scientific community, that one guy who published the work of the higs particle. He didn't think that would attract that many readers, so what did he do? He called it "The God Particle". Of course people are going to read that shit and love it.
                          I know - even if they 'confirm' that Vitamin D plays a role in the hair growth cycle - it doesnt mean ANYTHING about treating people who are suffering from hair loss - but still they dress up the headlines to hit their targets.

Comment

• Dazza
                            • Jun 2012

Thought some might like a read.

Comment

• UK_
                              • Feb 2011

The thing is with all this vitamin D malarky is that it is in no way going to be beneficial to us hair loss sufferers, we wont be buying bottles of vitamin D lotion and growing back hair or preventing hair loss.

The people who should take note of this are companies like Replicel and Aderans who through the use of vitamin D may be able to improve the yield of their cell therapy treatments, perhaps this is what may take some of the treatments that work in 70% of patients to something that now works in 75 - 80% of patients.

Comment

Working...