X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gmonasco
    Inactive
    • Apr 2010

Originally posted by 25 going on 65
    My understanding of our stone age ancestors is that anyone who lived beyond 30-35 was old and rare. But obviously, I'm not an archeologist. Either way, it's safe to say they were definitely less worried about hair loss
    I don't know about attitudes towards hair during the Paleolithic Era, but as far back as two thousand years ago Julius Caesar was suffering from MPB and vainly tried to disguise it using all the same methods that men employ today: wearing a toupée, shaving his head, and sporting head coverings. And that was well before the development of mass media ...

Comment

• NotBelievingIt
      • Oct 2011

Mirrors were also a lot less common way back.

If you don't know what you look like, you are less likely to actually care.

Plus, mass media that everyone reads and sees contains pictures of a small percentage of people who are well above average in genetic favoritism. Thus what you have to compare yourself against is highly biased towards "what looks good" and not what is normal.

Comment

• 25 going on 65
        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by gmonasco
        I don't know about attitudes towards hair during the Paleolithic Era, but as far back as two thousand years ago Julius Caesar was suffering from MPB and vainly tried to disguise it using all the same methods that men employ today: wearing a toupée, shaving his head, and sporting head coverings. And that was well before the development of mass media ...
        Maybe so but Caesar definitely had his basic needs covered, so he was left with time and energy to reflect on his scalp.

Besides, he traveled around conquering other societies. When that's your job, you have to look good for the ladies on the road. You don't want them staring at your hairline when you've just slaughtered all their men in battle and are parading through their village in glory.

Comment

• Sogeking
          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by 25 going on 65
          Maybe so but Caesar definitely had his basic needs covered, so he was left with time and energy to reflect on his scalp.

Besides, he traveled around conquering other societies. When that's your job, you have to look good for the ladies on the road. You don't want them staring at your hairline when you've just slaughtered all their men in battle and are parading through their village in glory.
          Well Romans had slaves. And I don't think he had any problems with obtaining women despite his hair status. Most likely he wanted to keep his hair because of his self image. But sure it bothered him most likely.
          However if I had lived in that period, hair wouldn't be much of a problem to me, since 80% of the reason I want my hair back is to be more attractive to women. I believe I would get a woman back then, however medical care, safety, electrical power, basic human rights, protection from marauding barbarians and so on, not so much.

I like my odds much better than Caesars despite the difference in 'love life'....

Btw does anyone know the exact date in April or atleast a week when Replicel should show us their results?

Comment

• Follicle Death Row
            • May 2011

Isn't the haircut named after Caesar? The bangs covering the receding hairline.

Comment

• clandestine
              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Follicle Death Row
              Isn't the haircut named after Caesar? The bangs covering the receding hairline.
              My bangs never grow out long enough to cover the receding hairline. It's as if where the bangs should be growing, there's no growth whatsoever. i.e. the middle 'island' grows long while there are no bangs to be found on either side. Uhg.

Comment

• Follicle Death Row
                • May 2011

Originally posted by clandestine
                My bangs never grow out long enough to cover the receding hairline. It's as if where the bangs should be growing, there's no growth whatsoever. i.e. the middle 'island' grows long while there are no bangs to be found on either side. Uhg.
                I'm getting there too. This do will only hold up for so long. Sucks when you're forehead is already on the long side pre mpb.

Comment

• clandestine
                  • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Follicle Death Row
                  I'm getting there too. This do will only hold up for so long. Sucks when you're forehead is already on the long side pre mpb.
                  Eh, we are bound by genetic traits. My head is rather small mate; we've all got qualities we wish we could change (this, not even taking in to account hair loss). feelsbadman.jpg

Just have to work what you've got I suppose.

Comment

• NeedHairASAP
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by chrisis
                    I think the high infant mortality rate skewed the average lifespan. I'm sure many lived into their 40s and beyond.

The strongest likelihood is that nobody cared anywhere near as much about vanity as we do today. We've been conditioned this way. Remember when you were a child and weren't vain at all? I reckon it was like that for your whole life at one point.

Of course it's all about getting a partner, but mating wasn't always about looks, it was about survival - although we do still have primal instincts in that regard.
                    egyptians wore wigs

Comment

• WashedOut
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by NeedHairASAP
                      egyptians wore wigs
                      Egyptians shaved their natural hair and wore wigs. Back then a bald cone head shaped woman was beautiful.

Comment

• gmonasco
                        Inactive
                        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by NotBelievingIt
                        Mirrors were also a lot less common way back.
                        Glass mirrors, perhaps, but there were plenty of other kinds. Like water.

If you don't know what you look like, you are less likely to actually care.
                        By that reasoning, we should expect most blind people to be unkempt in appearance. And yet, they aren't.

Plus, mass media that everyone reads and sees contains pictures of a small percentage of people who are well above average in genetic favoritism. Thus what you have to compare yourself against is highly biased towards "what looks good" and not what is normal.
                        And, of course, artists of previous eras never favored "people who are well above average in genetic favoritism."

Comment

• TheLongnHairyProphet
                          • Jan 2012

this conversation is definitely making my hair grow longer .

Comment

• melwou7245
                            • Aug 2011

Apologies that I have to be the one to break the gentleman's agreement of not posting in this topic unless something's happened, but I got a mail the weekend from Replicel talking about shares being traded and bought for some-or-other entity; quite frankly my brain switched off when I reached the second sentence.

Honestly the fact that we've not heard anything can mean one of two things: Either it's turned out to be such a roaring successful trial they're buying up all the shares they can and are planning to deliver the knock-out blow to hit the world by storm; or there's something that went wrong or the results are lackluster enough to force them to rethink their strategy and somehow put a positive spin on it.

Either way they're taking way too long to publish results for a safety trial.

Comment

• melwou7245
                              • Aug 2011

Apologies that I have to be the one to break the gentleman's agreement of not posting in this topic unless something's happened, but I got a mail the weekend from Replicel talking about shares being traded and bought for some-or-other entity; quite frankly my brain switched off when I reached the second sentence.

Honestly the fact that we've not heard anything can mean one of two things: Either it's turned out to be such a roaring successful trial they're buying up all the shares they can and are planning to deliver the knock-out blow to hit the world by storm; or there's something that went wrong or the results are lackluster enough to force them to rethink their strategy and somehow put a positive spin on it.

Either way they're taking way too long to publish results for a safety trial.

Comment

• NotBelievingIt
                                • Oct 2011

You are reading too much into the lack of news.

Absence of Knowledge is not Knowledge of Absence.

Comment

Working...