Will FUE interfere with upcoming treatments?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul73
    • May 2014

I meamt to say " transplanted hairs" can grow Into scars. And native hairs can regrowth around transplanted hairs.

Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

• Occulus
      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Paul73
      I meamt to say " transplanted hairs" can grow Into scars. And native hairs can regrowth around transplanted hairs.

Sorry for the confusion.
      Hair can be transplanted into scar tissue, yes, but the point of these future protocols is to grow hair naturally and natively. Hair does not grow in scar tissue, so why do you think these potential future protocols will not only grow hair, but grow hair in tissue that has never before grown hair nor is naturally capable of growing hair? And as to growing hair around implanted follicles, what if the implantation has destroyed what was otherwise only a miniaturized follicle that could have been revitalized by a future protocol? Then you have not only lost hair at the donor site (removed for the surgery, replaced by scar tissue that will not grow hair), but you have lost hair at the recipient site (destroyed by scarring / implantation of hair during surgery).

As for docs telling you that future hair protocols will be compatible with their surgery, how do they know? Are they privy to what is privileged information about ongoing trials? Do they have research to back up that claim? Are they fortune-tellers, able to see into the future and know whether or not a protocol that hasn't even been invented yet will work in tandem with their surgery? No - they are surgeons, not researchers, and they are trying to sell you their product in place of someone else's protocol.

I think if you believe that better pharma-based protocols are around the corner (3-5 year timeframe), and you have a decent amount of hair (NW3<), you're taking a risk getting cut. If you're a NW4 or worse, and you can't live with being bald for a couple more years, then your only option is the Big 3 (if you aren't already on them) or a hair transplant with the understanding that it may impede any future non-surgical treatments.

Comment

• Swooping
        • May 2014

Originally posted by Occulus
        Hair can be transplanted into scar tissue, yes, but the point of these future protocols is to grow hair naturally and natively. Hair does not grow in scar tissue, so why do you think these potential future protocols will not only grow hair, but grow hair in tissue that has never before grown hair nor is naturally capable of growing hair? And as to growing hair around implanted follicles, what if the implantation has destroyed what was otherwise only a miniaturized follicle that could have been revitalized by a future protocol? Then you have not only lost hair at the donor site (removed for the surgery, replaced by scar tissue that will not grow hair), but you have lost hair at the recipient site (destroyed by scarring / implantation of hair during surgery).

As for docs telling you that future hair protocols will be compatible with their surgery, how do they know? Are they privy to what is privileged information about ongoing trials? Do they have research to back up that claim? Are they fortune-tellers, able to see into the future and know whether or not a protocol that hasn't even been invented yet will work in tandem with their surgery? No - they are surgeons, not researchers, and they are trying to sell you their product in place of someone else's protocol.

I think if you believe that better pharma-based protocols are around the corner (3-5 year timeframe), and you have a decent amount of hair (NW3<), you're taking a risk getting cut. If you're a NW4 or worse, and you can't live with being bald for a couple more years, then your only option is the Big 3 (if you aren't already on them) or a hair transplant with the understanding that it may impede any future non-surgical treatments.
        Ahh, so you think the pipeline treatments are going to regrow NW3<?

Which one?

Comment

• Paul73
          • May 2014

I already have a HT done 10 years ago to fix my temples (900 grafts). The result was good, but i would like to benefit from future treatments, specially to stop using finasteride.

The doctors i visited didn´t want to sell me anything. I just asked them if the fact that i had this HT done would be a problem if future topical protocols come to the market.

They told me that the scars around the transplanted hairs are very superficial and wouldn´t be a problem. But they can be wrong, i agree with you. We just have to wait.

Anyway, supposing that hairs can´t grow around the transplanted ones, i don´t see why it could be a problem since you can use the future treatments to grow hairs on the other parts of the scalp and them make a second HT to fix the points where the treatments woudn´t work (because of the scars).

People here usually don´t considerate the many alternatives, making it look like that once you did a HT you are fuc#@* forever.

Comment

• pilipili
            • Dec 2015

Well you could just send an email to replicel and co to be sure

Comment

• Follisket
              • Aug 2014

No, no one's saying you're screwed once you get a HT; we don't even know whether it will present any sort of problem yet. We're just wondering and looking for research/proof that would put those concerns to rest. It's just worth knowing.

The problem is that without research, we can't really know for sure; we're not likely to find anyone who's had a HT and then major regrowth with conventional treatments, which is why I was wondering if we had any means of reaching out to a transgendered person who's had a HT prior to undergoing hormonal treatment. From what I hear, transitioning gives the most extensive regrowth we know of, right?

Comment

• allTheGoodNamesAreTaken
                • Aug 2015

Well how wide is the typical FUE punch? 1 mm? So that's a circular area of pi*(0.1 cm / 2)^2 = 0.00785 cm^2 per punch.

From google:

"In hair transplantation, doctors can plant 25-35 follicular units (FU) per square cm, which is much less than the normal density, though this much density can hide the baldness with artistic planning of the grafting"

So here is the area of each 1 cm^2 bit of scalp that gets a graft put into it

grafts per cm^2 / area replaced per cm^2
                25 / 0.196349541
                35 / 0.274889357
                45 / 0.353429174

So if you get 25 - 35 FUE grafts per cm^2 done, this means you're implanting about 20-27% of each square cm. Which means you have about 73-80% of unimplanted scalp for a future treatment to cause hair to grow in. Of course this is a rough estimate because I don't know how wide a circular scar around the edge of a graft is, or if a recipient site is significantly wider than an extraction site...

If instead you get a 0.8 mm punch done...

grafts per cm^2 / area replaced per cm^2
                25 / 0.125663706
                35 / 0.175929189
                45 / 0.226194671

Then that's 12-18% of a given cm^2 of scalp if you get 25-35 grafts per cm^2. So over 80% of transplanted remains viable, minus the correction for scarring around the grafts, and how wide can they be really? So it seems like there could be plenty of those un-grafted and un-scarred regions between the grafts waiting to be revived by some future treatement. And also google says:

"On an average the density of a non bald scalp is 80-100 follicular units per square cm."

So the untouched areas between grafts might well be able to be brought back to a higher density too.

Comment

• inferiorfollicles
                  • Jan 2016

I truly believe that anyone expecting a cure within the next 50 years has lost his marbles.

Comment

• Follisket
                    • Aug 2014

And I believe anyone who has simply accepted that has lost his balls. Yet, neither of us is on topic.

Comment

• inferiorfollicles
                      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Follisket
                      And I believe anyone who has simply accepted that has lost his balls. Yet, neither of us is on topic.
                      Losing my balls would be the best solution for slowing down hairloss out there in the next 50 years.

Comment

• Trouse5858
                        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by inferiorfollicles
                        I truly believe that anyone expecting a cure within the next 50 years has lost his marbles.
                        How'd you come to the number 50? Just felt right? Why not 45, or 55, or 52, or 60, or 100?? Genuinely curious how you people try to put timelines on things with hundreds of different factors.

Comment

• PatientlyWaiting
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by inferiorfollicles
                          Death will come before future treaments, no need to worry about fue.
                          Lol I actually laughed out loud at this.

To answer the question, if you're a good FUE candidate and can get good coverage with it, I suggest you go for it now. Then comes 2018 or what ever date they're saying now, which is always a new date when the targeted date comes, and nothing happens just a new date is released. You keep waiting, frustrated about looking at your balding head, no confidence, just waiting and waiting, reading new dates every year, push backs. Just do it now. The Beatles will come out with a new album before you can get something better than FUE, finasteride or minoxidil. I'm sure when something big happens everyone in the world will read/hear about it. Logging into a forum frequently just reading about dates and always being let down can't be good your mind and overall health.

Comment

• PatientlyWaiting
                            • Jan 2011

I saw the HSC video of Nov 2015, I admit that is exciting news. I really wish that would come out in the next couple of years, would be awesome.

Comment

• Swooping
                              • May 2014

My guess would be yes, some hair follicles would get damaged through a HT. A miniaturized hair follicle lies around ~2mm.

Then again do know that some people already have damaged/destroyed hair follicles with AGA (can be site specific too). Simply due to fibrosis (scar tissue) which destructs the hair follicle, similar to cicatricial alopecia (irreversible).

This means that some hair follicles in some people are irreversible damaged, so no thing could ever "revive" those hair follicles. They are simply gone, replaced by scar tissue. Only the creation of a new hair follicle could help in this case. Which isn't going to happen in the near future.

Also, hair transplant are not going to be challenged in any sense probably from the current pipeline treatments.

If you want your hair back and you can maintain your hair, depending on your situation, the choice is simple imo.

Unless you want to wait many, many years.

Comment

• paleocapa89
                                • Sep 2015

That's why IMO the researchers should focus on creating new hair follicles in labs and/or donor regeneration. That would solve all the problems with basically zero risks. No anti-androgens, no wnt pathway manipulation, no prostaglandin manipulation, no wondering whether the hair follicles are still there and whether they are capable of taking in DP or DSC cells, no lengthy, expensive safety and efficacy studies no drugs or topicals every day.

Did you lose you hair due to AGA? Fibrosis? Burning of the scalp? Did you have a botched HT? Are you a male or a female? Or you just want more hair? Maybe lower you naturally high hairline a little? Doesn't matter! Here take some hair!

Comment

Working...