Clear All
  • UK_
    • Feb 2011

Anthony Atala did this years ago.

Comment

• Molten
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by CAlex
      is this guy for real? 300 years until a cure? this guy is Hellrouserx1000 with his negative posts. You cant even say his timelines are anything even remotely realistic.

todays world is nothing like what it was 50 years ago. In 50 years technology will make todays latest tech look like rocks. But you somehow can see 300 years off? Im not even mad because im one of these posters desperately believing a cure is right around the corner. But 300 years. get bent.

if you think its 300 years off what are you even on here for? oh to enlighten the rest of us? its your good deed I guess.

Ill check back in 2314. see you guys in a bit. good thing time travel will be around by the time HL is cured so Ill just have my great great great great grandson jump back and cure me. This guy is nuts.
      It's interesting how you're so offended by my skepticism. I never once attacked anyone on here, yet simply presenting the daunting challenges that await these teams gets some members on here riled up. If you're so convinced they have it completely figured out, why would the words of an ignorant skeptic annoy you at all? I hope I am wrong and they indeed do prove me wrong. I'm not exactly enjoying being the only person in my entire extended family to go bald.

Also, perhaps we have different ideas of what really constitutes a "cure". I think in the coming 20-30 years, we'll have much better treatments than finasteride/minoxidil that halt hair loss completely in almost all patients while regrowing hair in a majority and having little side-effects. Also, I expect HT techniques to improve tremendously. This will allow an NW3 to become an NW0 with an HT and maintain this hair with these medications and risk no side-effects. I don't consider that a real "cure". A real cure is a non-invasive one time procedure that turns an NW7 to an NW0 where all the hair are completely 100% resistant to DHT. That is something we won't see for several lifetimes to come.

Comment

• Arashi
        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Molten
        But what I've been trying to say in the past few posts is that growing hair follicles in the laboratory and out of a human head are two completely different problems.
        Not sure what you mean ? Jahoda grew hair on human skin, albeit on transplanted human foreskin on SCID mice, but that serves as a very accurate model.

Comment

• cookies
          • Dec 2013

Baldness will only truly be cured when we have reliable gene therapy, and that type of technology is at least 200-300 years i.e not in your great grandson's lifetime.
          There is already one gene therapy approved by the EMA (Glyberia). But somehow it will take 300 years to have a gene thereapy for hair?

Comment

• fred970
            • Nov 2009

+1 cookies

Some people on this forum just like to throw random numbers and estimations without having any clue of what they are talking about just for the sake of sounding sensational and to reinforce their feeling of hopelessness.

Comment

• Arashi
              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by cookies
              There is already one gene therapy approved by the EMA (Glyberia). But somehow it will take 300 years to have a gene thereapy for hair?
              Sorry but this Molden guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Gene therapy 300 years away, LOL, like you said, there's already EU approved gene therapy available (http://www.uniqure.com/news/167/182/...ommission.html). He also might want to take a look here: www.sangamo.com it's an ultra precise platform to change any gene in any organism you want and they're currently in phase II trails to make people resistent to HIV/AIDS by changing some gene. But to do that for hair is 300 years away ?

But gene therapy is not the answer here. Why go messing around with genes when we can just bio-generate hair like Jahoda and Tsuji have been doing ? We're almost there ...

Comment

• burtandernie
                • Nov 2012

I dont really agree with most of this and it makes no difference since we all are essentially guessing. No more treatments in our life times? CB 03 01 is in trials as we speak and less then a year for acne dont see some big reason why MPB wont pan out although it could. So I guess I dont have such a pessimistic view point.

Comment

• Arashi
                  • Aug 2012

Originally posted by burtandernie
                  I dont really agree with most of this and it makes no difference since we all are essentially guessing
                  Of course it's guessing, but we can do it educated. We already know the recipe for the cure, it's already been shown to work, we just need a way to get enough of the ingredients (DP cells). Jahoda's method of culturing them needs improvement, he already made several suggestions in his paper which he thought would improve his method, things that made a lot of sense. The organ regenerative field is making enormous progress, clinical trials are starting now or have been starting lately in tons of related fields (like biogenerated skin and IPS cells) and people are even already walking around with stem cell lab generated organs (trachea's) since a few years now. It's an accumulative process which is going faster and faster. Of course nobody can exactly pinpoint when it will be done, but if you think it wont happen in our lifetime, then you're either 95 years old, suicidal or you're just ignoring all progress

Comment

• hellouser
                    • May 2012

Originally posted by CAlex
                    is this guy for real? 300 years until a cure? this guy is Hellrouserx1000 with his negative posts. You cant even say his timelines are anything even remotely realistic.
                    Just to clarify, lol, I've never made projections of how long a cure would take. Nobody knows. I'm kind of with the mindset with Spencer Kobren; it'll get here when it gets here. What I am pissed off about though, is all the red tape and the snail pace progress. You want to take shots at me you may want to get your facts straight first. On *** I've clearly stated in another thread that it could be 3 years or it could be 30 years. None of us has a crystal ball.

Comment

• Molten
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Arashi
                      Not sure what you mean ? Jahoda grew hair on human skin, albeit on transplanted human foreskin on SCID mice, but that serves as a very accurate model.
                      That's still very different beast than growing hair on a human skull. Histogen and Replicel had amazing laboratory techniques and breakthroughs, but ended up proving the skeptical scientific community in the end by showing it simply can't be grown out of a human skull with any meaningful results.

Again, until he has demonstrated to the scientific community 90%+ hair regrowth in all his test subjects, he doesn't have a "cure".

Comment

• hellouser
                        • May 2012

That's still very different beast than growing hair on a human skull. Histogen and Replicel had amazing laboratory techniques and breakthroughs, but ended up proving the skeptical scientific community in the end by showing it simply can't be grown out of a human skull with any meaningful results.

Again, until he has demonstrated to the scientific community 90%+ hair regrowth in all his test subjects, he doesn't have a "cure".
                        What's missing in the human scalp for hair follicles to grow? Whats so different about scalp where MPB exists compared to the sides and back of the head where scalp is capable of growing hair NORMALLY?

Comment

• Molten
                          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by cookies
                          Really simple gene therapies such as the ones you that simply alter enzyme levels are absolutely nothing in comparison to the truly complex gene therapy that would be required to cure baldness. For starters, we have a complete understanding of what causes lipoprotein liapse deficiency and it's been well known for years to be caused by a mutation.

For baldness, we have no idea what combination of genes causes it, and there's no reason to think we will anytime soon. Also, there's no reason to think that even if we do, we'll instantly know which genes to manipulate without causing a real permanent damage.

The fact you think Glybera means gene therapy as a whole is just around the corner demonstrates your complete lack of understanding of the problems and genetics as a whole.

Comment

• Molten
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by fred970
                            +1 cookies

Some people on this forum just like to throw random numbers and estimations without having any clue of what they are talking about just for the sake of sounding sensational and to reinforce their feeling of hopelessness.
                            It's not "random numbers and estimations" but a good understanding of the underlying science and how incremental our understanding of the problem has been for the past century. I have admitted again that I cannot foresee major breakthroughs, but it's very unlikely such a breakthrough will occur.

Practically every scientist and doctor not working in this field would agree with me. You think they have no clue of what they are talking about as well?

Comment

• Arashi
                              • Aug 2012

They never got any results on human skin. Jahoda did. You can downplay that all you want, but human skin = human skin.

Comment

• Arashi
                                • Aug 2012

Really simple gene therapies such as the ones you that simply alter enzyme levels are absolutely nothing in comparison to the truly complex gene therapy that would be required to cure baldness.
                                You're dead wrong again. I advise you to read up here: http://www.sangamo.com With their platform they can flip any gene on/off in any organism, including humans.

Comment

Working...