Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Arashi
    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by hellouser
    Second at least. Lauster did it a long time ago... and apparently Follica has done it as well. However, the cynicism is warranted. Not one of these people/organizations have done anything for commercial product. They need to hurry the hell up. Our best years are passing by.
    Follica ? They didn't do sh*t. I don't get it why people are so exciting about that company. And Lauster didn't grow anything on human skin neither. Supposedly he managed to grow 'something' in the lab. But for sure not on human skin.

Tsuji lab got close, but they grew it a follice on mice skin, not on human skin.

Comment

• TheSwingingGate
      • May 2013

Man, it's just nice to hear people talking about this research enthusiastically.
      I liked the video. Encouraging that this research is broad and covers skin replacement, there are so many applications to help people. With such a broad base, hopefully funding becomes easier and, in turn, helps hair loss sufferers.

Comment

• hellouser
        • May 2012

Originally posted by Arashi
        Follica ? They didn't do sh*t. I don't get it why people are so exciting about that company. And Lauster didn't grow anything on human skin neither. Supposedly he managed to grow 'something' in the lab. But for sure not on human skin.

Tsuji lab got close, but they grew it a follice on mice skin, not on human skin.
        Follica didn't do shit? So, are you negating Spencers words of them having gone through hair follicle neogenesis? Mind you, thats also why I specifically said 'apparently'

Lauster has created follicles... as far as I know from another member, is that the cells did form into follicles, but many did not. (apparently was on some interview in german).

Regardless... ALL OF THEM need to hurry up. If I hear '5-10 years' one more time I'm going to vomit.

Comment

• Arashi
          • Aug 2012

Follica didn't do shit? So, are you negating Spencers words of them having gone through hair follicle neogenesis? Mind you, thats also why I specifically said 'apparently'

Lauster has created follicles... as far as I know from another member, is that the cells did form into follicles, but many did not. (apparently was on some interview in german).

Regardless... ALL OF THEM need to hurry up. If I hear '5-10 years' one more time I'm going to vomit.
          All they did was find a protein that supposedly functions as a growth factor. That's all.

Comment

• brunobald
            • Jul 2013

Follica state they can consistantly induce new follicles in the skin. Its a different method though, Follica are not injecting DP cells its through wounding they induce the follicle. They're about 5-10 years away from release

Comment

• Arashi
              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by brunobald
              Follica state they can consistantly induce new follicles in the skin. Its a different method though, Follica are not injecting DP cells its through wounding they induce the follicle.
              Yeah they wound and add some growth factor. Sure, hair might grow, just like Histogen can induce SOME growth with their growth factors. But it's child's play compared to actually creating a follicle yourself, like Jahoda did. Follica and Histogen are stimulating, Jahoda is creating.

Comment

• brunobald
                • Jul 2013

Hmm.. Histogen is pants we all know that. But if follica are for real they say they are actually creating new follicles from scratch. Their method is very crud and discovered by chance in another experiment but judging from their patents it has the potential to be highly efficent in terms of cost and resources plus it can be easily automated.

Still cheering both teams on but I do rate Follica equal to DP sphere injections. Its just simpler for the same endgame....if it works as they say.

Comment

• hellouser
                  • May 2012

Do you guys really care how follicles are created? Some of you guys make it sound as if you would hold out on Follica because its not done via Jahoda's method... or Lausters.. or Tsujis.

I dont know about you guys, but I want hair. Period. I dont give a shit how its done, as long as its done. Growth factors, wounding, whatever... just get me hair.

Comment

• HairBane
                    • Apr 2013

What happened with Dr. Nigam injecting 3d spheroidal aggregate DP cells? Did he try it?

Comment

• burtandernie
                      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Arashi
                      It's because people don't understand it. Every time a great step is being made they think we'll have a cure next month. That's of course ridiculous to think and that causes people to become cynical. Research like this takes time and while they succeeded at growing it on human skin, obstacles remain like they said in the vid too, like angle, hair colour etc. But this is the first time in human history that they've at least succeeded at getting the basics going.
                      Exactly. This is a big thing I mean its proven for once getting all your hair back will someday soon be possible. Is this going to happen or be a common thing a year or two from now? Probably not, but there is a lot of hope now and a future for people that want it.
                      I personally am more in the keep what I have position and would prefer something like CB or a safe way to keep my hair without risking my health. Anything though like this that helps people is always good.

Comment

• Vox
                        • Jan 2013

Damn, she's got CRAZY hair.
                        According to this web page, she struggled with alopecia areata in the 90's and that was the motivation for her to start studying hair loss.

Should we wish all the dermatologists and hair researchers to go bald?

Comment

• walrus
                          • Feb 2012

Looks like it was leaked before the upcoming conference: http://embargowatch.wordpress.com/20...d-story-posts/

Comment

• LevonHelms
                            • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Vox
                            According to this web page, she struggled with alopecia areata in the 90's and that was the motivation for her to start studying hair loss.

Should we wish all the dermatologists and hair researchers to go bald?
                            She is bald. That's a wig.

Comment

• crafter
                              • Sep 2013

Damn, she's got CRAZY hair.

yeah science, bitches!

Comment

• idontwant2bebalding
                                • Jul 2013

This article helped put things in perspective for me. Still a great day though!

a few excerpts:

Christiano found that growing cells on a flat surface disrupted the expression of nearly 4,000 genes, whereas the hanging-drop method restored normal function to about 22% of those — enough, it seems, to allow them to induce follicles. Several of the genes restored had been previously associated with hair growth, including an important signalling pathway known as Wnt, which transmits signals from outside the cell to inside. Still, says Christiano, “we were surprised at how few were enough to start induction”.

He adds that the latest work is exciting, even though the hair produced is “not yet ready for prime time”. The new follicles did not always produce a hair through the skin, and they lacked pigment and sebaceous oil glands. Christiano says that it will be some time before those kinks are ironed out and the method is ready for the clinic.

Comment

Working...