Lots Of Ideas on the Forum: So Crowdfund

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Supersixx
    • Mar 2012

Its one thing to fund a cause/movement and a another totally different thing to fund a company in phase 2. With the latter, they can simply say awwww , you guys on BBT are so sweet and nice, thanks a lot for the money , we really appreciate it and we'll work night and day to find a cure and your money won't go to waste. Next month file bankruptcy , change there number and leave you no where closer to a cure. Best thing about it, you wouldn't be able to do a damn thing about it.

Comment

• NeedHairASAP
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Supersixx
      Its one thing to fund a cause/movement and a another totally different thing to fund a company in phase 2. With the latter, they can simply say awwww , you guys on BBT are so sweet and nice, thanks a lot for the money , we really appreciate it and we'll work night and day to find a cure and your money won't go to waste. Next month file bankruptcy , change there number and leave you no where closer to a cure. Best thing about it, you wouldn't be able to do a damn thing about it.
      I like the campaign idea. What would be the goal though?

1. fund some studies that would get hair transplants etc. covered by insurance. (link hairloss to depression, etc?)

2. general awareness... like how milk producers all put money into a pool for the "got milk" campaign--- not sure what message we could send or, in actuality, how well it would be received by non baldies and the general popu... would probably end up a joke on youtube.

3. ?

Comment

• hellouser
        • May 2012

Originally posted by NeedHairASAP
        I like the campaign idea. What would be the goal though?

1. fund some studies that would get hair transplants etc. covered by insurance. (link hairloss to depression, etc?)

2. general awareness... like how milk producers all put money into a pool for the "got milk" campaign--- not sure what message we could send or, in actuality, how well it would be received by non baldies and the general popu... would probably end up a joke on youtube.
        I have a feeling there WILL be a backlash in response to this. What we need to CAREFULLY do is this:

Create the campaign in a serious but self deprecating manner that is humorous, similar to the comedic style of Rodney Dangerfield. That way, any insults that come our way, will be rendered MOOT as we've already covered them.

And, before the public can even begin to target us with insults and mockery, we need to CALL THEM ALL OUT for doing that before hand, basically having a rebuttal before they can even further lash out against us.

But we all know why they would mock us... I mean, they need to validate their own happiness by insulting someone elses misfortune. Like I said before, they are scum.

Comment

• NeedHairASAP
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by hellouser
          I have a feeling there WILL be a backlash in response to this. What we need to CAREFULLY do is this:

Create the campaign in a serious but self deprecating manner that is humorous, similar to the comedic style of Rodney Dangerfield. That way, any insults that come our way, will be rendered MOOT as we've already covered them.

And, before the public can even begin to target us with insults and mockery, we need to CALL THEM ALL OUT for doing that before hand, basically having a rebuttal before they can even further lash out against us.

But we all know why they would mock us... I mean, they need to validate their own happiness by insulting someone elses misfortune. Like I said before, they are scum.

We'll have to study the history of fat people, and try to ascertain how they got into the "not to be made fun of" category.

Comment

• hellouser
            • May 2012

We'll have to study the history of fat people, and try to ascertain how they got into the "not to be made fun of" category.
            I think we may also need to point out some similarities to other conditions that only have very lousy treatments and no cure. This way, we could connect to others that can relate to us. For example, tinnitus sufferers; they have treatments, they all suck and theres no cure.

Thoughts?

Comment

• pocketmerlin
              • Jan 2013

I'm not really sure if I'm into this whole approach of just making it a public awareness campaign.

I think I'd rather just try to find a way to fix my hair loss than try to change the world's cruel mockery of it.

If me wanting hair was as simple as feeling ashamed about it because people made fun of me for losing it, then yeah, some campaign that successfully got people to stop making fun of me for it would be all that I would need.

But I want hair because I want to be more attractive. No campaign will, or probably even should, get the majority of young women to be wild for young balding men.

And I don't think I want to back some sort of quasi-altruistic, half-baked crap that sends some sort of message like "everyone is 100% beautiful just the way they are" which everyone agrees with in theory but not in practice.

Comment

• Californication
                • Mar 2013

What's going on here, any updates hellouser? There's a fair amount of interest on these forums in this imo and even though some people label it as a 'pipedream' or whatever, there's no reason this can't take off and achieve something even if it isn't totally successful (which of course it can be).

And I don't think I want to back some sort of quasi-altruistic, half-baked crap that sends some sort of message like "everyone is 100% beautiful just the way they are" which everyone agrees with in theory but not in practice.
                The idea is to fix the problem by showing that it's
                a) one that affects many people men and women (mentally, physically)--> Don't Overdo it here though
                b)if affordable, who WOULDN'T choose to keep their hair, even if they don't mind being bald that much
                c) we have the technology to do so currently. This is key. We've made so many discoveries, there's no reason this can't be solved if the proper resources are allocated.

And to do it all with humor and lightly while getting the message across that this is a solvable problem that should be addressed. ( for instance, we've flown to the moon, why can't we cure baldness type of thing that fits in with point c.)

I agree that delving into too much pity and "wah stop making fun of me" is a bad way to go about this. It will just invite more scorn especially since in many people's eyes, this is an absolutely trivial, cosmetic condition.

Comment

• NeedHairASAP
                  • Jul 2011

One way to do this would be to put several campaigns together, and let the market choose.

ie, see which gets funded....

this would be more time consuming for the developers, but is better than choosing one campaign off of your own personal hunch, and then putting all you time and effort into something just to find out it isn't what people want.

Comment

• Axel
                    • Dec 2012

One way to do this would be to put several campaigns together, and let the market choose.

ie, see which gets funded....

this would be more time consuming for the developers, but is better than choosing one campaign off of your own personal hunch, and then putting all you time and effort into something just to find out it isn't what people want.
                    This is not time consuming at all. In fact you can think about the platform as something already done and ready to be put online.

Also, like you, I have repeated several times that the market must choose. Thats why it is important to have an open platform where any (trusted) company makes a project suggestion. Then everybody puts their money where they want... And I must repeat that the pledged money NEVER leaves your bank account until the project is completely funded..

I have been really busy at work and havent even read the forums in a week and half. I think the next step should be to start forming a group of individuals who are willing to step up and be the public faces / spokesperson of this project. We need to tell the companies that "patients" are starting to associate around this initiative... And show them the platform. But probably we could do a crossforum announcement and make a survey on www.wufoo.com with the options we have...

Comment

• Thinning87
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Axel
                      This is not time consuming at all. In fact you can think about the platform as something already done and ready to be put online.

Also, like you, I have repeated several times that the market must choose. Thats why it is important to have an open platform where any (trusted) company makes a project suggestion. Then everybody puts their money where they want... And I must repeat that the pledged money NEVER leaves your bank account until the project is completely funded..

I have been really busy at work and havent even read the forums in a week and half. I think the next step should be to start forming a group of individuals who are willing to step up and be the public faces / spokesperson of this project. We need to tell the companies that "patients" are starting to associate around this initiative... And show them the platform. But probably we could do a crossforum announcement and make a survey on www.wufoo.com with the options we have...
                      I agree with everything you are saying

Comment

• moleular
                        • Jun 2014

Hi All,

I know this isn't the way it's done, but I have something which I would like to get crowdfunded.
                        Can @hellouser contact me please - including any other prominent posters on this forum - as I'd like to discuss an idea which I have partially set in motion.
                        If it's worth a shot I will post something in due course.
                        Sorry, I don't know how to / can't private msg people it seems.

Comment

• hellouser
                          • May 2012

Originally posted by moleular
                          Hi All,

I know this isn't the way it's done, but I have something which I would like to get crowdfunded.
                          Can @hellouser contact me please - including any other prominent posters on this forum - as I'd like to discuss an idea which I have partially set in motion.
                          If it's worth a shot I will post something in due course.
                          Sorry, I don't know how to / can't private msg people it seems.
                          Let's hear your ideas.

Comment

• Scotopia
                            • Aug 2014

Posted this in another thread: but worth mentioning here: I recently hired a development team to make a crowdfunding hub for a different subset of medical research, and things have gone well so far.

If the community wants to create a crowdfunding hub just for hairless research projects (is this what we want to do?), you could contact info [at] skyrushmarketing [dot] com. Since they just worked on my site; I'm guessing all things crowdfunding should be fresh on their minds.

Comment

• stan
                              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by hellouser

include female sufferers in the campaign. . . best thing to avoid backlash

Comment

• JZA70
                                • May 2014

Been there, done that.

Crowd funding for hair loss will NEVER take off for many reasons, one of the most important being that it's at the bottom of the totem pole. It's not a life threatening disease, it doesn't require any immediate attention, no one will take it seriously. It's a cosmetic issue, and that's all it is.

It sounds almost as stupid as women setting up crowd funding campaigns for breast enlargement surgery.

Some of you guys need to take a deep breath and accept that no matter what you do, you will still have to wait another 10+ years for something better to come out. It's almost 2015 and no one has even created a single terminal hair follicle. The science just isn't there yet.

Comment

Working...