Dermarolling Community Trial

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fred970
    • Nov 2009

Thanks for the reminder Tracy. I said this on another forum: how long before someone really injures himself or get an infection?

We must remain cautious. We should try to reproduce the study. Who knows? Maybe the study is flawed and it will do absolutely nothing. Just some healthy scepticism here.

Comment

• mmmcoffee
      • Oct 2012

Guess we will know soon enough...12 weeks is a short time to notice results. How long have people been rolling for?

Comment

• hellouser
        • May 2012

Originally posted by mmmcoffee
        Guess we will know soon enough...12 weeks is a short time to notice results. How long have people been rolling for?
        I've been just under 3 weeks, with my first session being moot (barely any blood, not much noticeable erythema). So basically, under 2 weeks. Gonna be dermarolling either today or tomorrow.

Comment

• mmmcoffee
          • Oct 2012

We appreciate all your efforts. I'm personally waiting for the green light from some of you guys before starting to dermaroll

Comment

• sosa56
            • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Tracy C
            Just a reminder that the methodology in the pilot study was to roll firm enough to achieve mild erythema. Erythema is defined as abnormal redness of the skin due to capillary congestion. It does not mean to break through the skin enough to cause bleeding. Just say'in...
            Yeah but look at this video with an MD doing the rolling (sure it's already been posted) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuXJbqDlNug

OK so he's doing it to increase growth factor absorption but you see he doesn't look as if he's putting that much pressure on and blood is still appearing and he's only using a 1.0mm roller.

Didn't hellouser say though at the beginning of the thread "You will be given detailed instructions on how to use the dermaroller including how often, pressure, time for injury and ideal model of roller according to one of the researchers on the study who has been contacted."?

Comment

• hellouser
              • May 2012

Originally posted by sosa56
              Yeah but look at this video with an MD doing the rolling (sure it's already been posted) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuXJbqDlNug

OK so he's doing it to increase growth factor absorption but you see he doesn't look as if he's putting that much pressure on and blood is still appearing and he's only using a 1.0mm roller.

Didn't hellouser say though at the beginning of the thread "You will be given detailed instructions on how to use the dermaroller including how often, pressure, time for injury and ideal model of roller according to one of the researchers on the study who has been contacted."?
              I think the dermaroller trial is just a precursor to the final be-all and end-all treatment: Follica and neogenesis through deep wounding. After dermarolling is done and over with in 12 weeks, I'm moving onto the wounding theory and going to try and replicate their process as close as possible.

Comment

• baldnotbeautiful
                • Oct 2012

is everyone still rolling once a week? I rolled every Sunday for the first 3 weeks, but for my 4th session I will roll today instead of this past Sunday and will have given myself an extra 2 days to heal. I thought there was some discussion(maybe another forum) that once a week might be a little too fast and more healing might be needed before rolling again?

Comment

• hellouser
                  • May 2012

Originally posted by baldnotbeautiful
                  is everyone still rolling once a week? I rolled every Sunday for the first 3 weeks, but I will roll today and will have given myself an extra 2 days to heal. I thought there was some discussion(maybe another forum) that once a week might be a little too fast and more healing might be needed before rolling again?
                  Personally, I don't think theres much 'healing' left after 7 days when all youve done is created mild erythema or even some small specks of blood here and there. We're microneedling so its not a full out wound. Wounds take much longer than 7 days to heal, but I know for sure that my anatomy is crazy, I heal really fast so basically any and all damage I've done thus far with my current approach ALWAYS 'heals' basically the next day.

Its not even so much the wounding that generates any potential follicle, its the HEALING process through mitosis and cell splitting when all the required growth factors are induced by your own body. In a normal wound this happens days after the damage to the tissue, and from Follica's graphs, we see that FGF-9 levels induced hair growth 14 days after damage to the wound... I'm fairly certain the wounds must have been fairly large in comparison to the indian dermarolling study with minoxidil, even the graphs shown by cotsarelis indicate a wound deep enough that gets down to the follicle, which is basically where dermabrasion comes in, stripping away of the top layer of skin.

Comment

• baldnotbeautiful
                    • Oct 2012

this past rolling session, i went a little harder than the first 2 times and I definitely felt like my scalp was inflammed/itchy for 3-4 days. I guess thats more than anything is why I decided to wait before rolling again. Hair lookin like crap...

Comment

• hellouser
                      • May 2012

Originally posted by baldnotbeautiful
                      this past rolling session, i went a little harder than the first 2 times and I definitely felt like my scalp was inflammed/itchy for 3-4 days. I guess thats more than anything is why I decided to wait before rolling again. Hair lookin like crap...
                      Are you shedding more since dermarolling?

Comment

• baldnotbeautiful
                        • Oct 2012

hard to say for sure, but yeah I think so. But at the same time, I've been losing ground extremely fast the past 6months, so more than likely its just the continuation of that.

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
                          Doctor Representative
                          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by hellouser
                          Oh I'm not suggesting we go into a tanning salon and barbecue our heads or get blasted with UV rays from the sun, I'm only posting the info as evidence to back up the wounding theory.
                          In the most recent edition of Hair Transplant Forum International (a doctor to doctor publication) Nicole E. Rogers, MD summarized a Japanese study that indicates vitamin D3 significantly enhances hair folliculogenesis. She believes that D3 may play an important role in the eventual cloning and regeneration of hair follicles. So some sun is good.

I used to work with a young guy in his mid-twenties who most likely inherited MPB from his mother's father. He is so paranoid about losing his hair that he won't use shampoo and never runs a comb through his hair. You appear to be of the opposite mindset. I personally believe massage, shampoo, hair brushing and micro needling are good for hair growth. I'm going to ask Dr. Cole about a variation of micro needling over the top of ACell gel and possibly PRP.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
                          Pioneer in total follicular unit hair transplantation and microscopic dissection, focusing on transforming hair restoration surgery from cosmetically unacceptable results into aesthetically pleasing results.

Cole Hair Transplant
                          1045 Powers Place
                          Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
                          Phone 678-566-1011
                          email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
                          Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Comment

• DesperateOne
                            • Jul 2013

Originally posted by hellouser
                            Personally, I don't think theres much 'healing' left after 7 days when all youve done is created mild erythema or even some small specks of blood here and there. We're microneedling so its not a full out wound. Wounds take much longer than 7 days to heal, but I know for sure that my anatomy is crazy, I heal really fast so basically any and all damage I've done thus far with my current approach ALWAYS 'heals' basically the next day.

Its not even so much the wounding that generates any potential follicle, its the HEALING process through mitosis and cell splitting when all the required growth factors are induced by your own body. In a normal wound this happens days after the damage to the tissue, and from Follica's graphs, we see that FGF-9 levels induced hair growth 14 days after damage to the wound... I'm fairly certain the wounds must have been fairly large in comparison to the indian dermarolling study with minoxidil, even the graphs shown by cotsarelis indicate a wound deep enough that gets down to the follicle, which is basically where dermabrasion comes in, stripping away of the top layer of skin.
                            So would you say we would need at least a 2.0mm or a 2.5mm?

Comment

• hellouser
                              • May 2012

Originally posted by DesperateOne
                              So would you say we would need at least a 2.0mm or a 2.5mm?
                              Not yet, there's one individual on *** that will be using a 2.5mm dermaroller. We'll see what kind of results he gets, if any.

Comment

• hellouser
                                • May 2012

Originally posted by 35YrsAfter
                                In the most recent edition of Hair Transplant Forum International (a doctor to doctor publication) Nicole E. Rogers, MD summarized a Japanese study that indicates vitamin D3 significantly enhances hair folliculogenesis. She believes that D3 may play an important role in the eventual cloning and regeneration of hair follicles. So some sun is good.

I used to work with a young guy in his mid-twenties who most likely inherited MPB from his mother's father. He is so paranoid about losing his hair that he won't use shampoo and never runs a comb through his hair. You appear to be of the opposite mindset. I personally believe massage, shampoo, hair brushing and micro needling are good for hair growth. I'm going to ask Dr. Cole about a variation of micro needling over the top of ACell gel and possibly PRP.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
                                Pioneer in total follicular unit hair transplantation and microscopic dissection, focusing on transforming hair restoration surgery from cosmetically unacceptable results into aesthetically pleasing results.

Cole Hair Transplant
                                1045 Powers Place
                                Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
                                Phone 678-566-1011
                                email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
                                Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
                                How would vitamin D3 be applied? Orally or topically? I suppose topically, no?

Comment

Working...