Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy | Dr. Joseph Greco Ph.D. Answers Your Questions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • splitting hairs
    • Jul 2009

Dr Greco, Well done for all your hard work with PRP by the way and your desire to share it with others.

You have been using PRP on non-transplanted hairs for a while now (compared to anyone else). However as we know, regular treatments, every six months for example, are required to maintain any benefit from the treatment.

However, as we know drugs like propecia's effectiveness fades with time. So what I am asking really is that in the work that you have done with PRP so far, although it is early days, are there any suggestions that its effectiveness will fade with time and hairloss will continue, despite regular treatments?

Thanks for your time.

Comment

• Dr Joseph F. Greco
      Ph.D
      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by splitting hairs
      Dr Greco, Well done for all your hard work with PRP by the way and your desire to share it with others.

You have been using PRP on non-transplanted hairs for a while now (compared to anyone else). However as we know, regular treatments, every six months for example, are required to maintain any benefit from the treatment.

However, as we know drugs like propecia's effectiveness fades with time. So what I am asking really is that in the work that you have done with PRP so far, although it is early days, are there any suggestions that its effectiveness will fade with time and hairloss will continue, despite regular treatments?

Thanks for your time.
      Great questions SH's. First, I don't think 6 months is necessary, but 11 months to a year should be fine. If you choose to do it sooner then no harm because I don't think you are not going to build a immunity to your own cells like a medicine. We feel that increasing vascularity to the follicles, as demonstrated by three independent studies, is increasing hair diameter. Additionally, we feel that because this therapy has such strong antinflamatory properties this is also a component we will need to consider and study more in Androgenic Alopecia.... this is what may be happening in the Alopecia Areata patients we are treating with PRP and GF complexes. Thanks JG

Comment

• Dr. Glenn Charles
        IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon
        • Nov 2008

Joe, I am excited to get a first hand look at the ECM as soon as it becomes available. I am also looking forward to being able to retrieve stem cells from either peripheral blood or adipose tissue. I was surprised to find out that there is a higher concentration of stem cells in adipose tissue and that it also contains a wider variety of stem cells compared to blood. I am looking forward to getting a bunch of the PRP/ECM/Stem Cell doctors together in Amsterdam to do some brainstorming.
        Dr. Glenn Charles
        Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
        View my IAHRS Profile

Comment

• Dr Joseph F. Greco
          Ph.D
          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Dr. Glenn Charles
          Joe, I am excited to get a first hand look at the ECM as soon as it becomes available. I am also looking forward to being able to retrieve stem cells from either peripheral blood or adipose tissue. I was surprised to find out that there is a higher concentration of stem cells in adipose tissue and that it also contains a wider variety of stem cells compared to blood. I am looking forward to getting a bunch of the PRP/ECM/Stem Cell doctors together in Amsterdam to do some brainstorming.
          Hey Glenn sounds like a plan. I'm sure there will be some stimulating research, ideas and discussions in Amsterdam and look forward to participating in constructive dialogue after or between the meetings. Have a safe trip. Joe

Comment

• splitting hairs
            • Jul 2009

Hi Dr Greco, thanks for your reply.

I've got another quick question for you. My brother has seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp (his condition is quite mild). Would he be able to get PRP done. Also, you mentioned it has anti-inflammatory properties. Could this potentially help his condition??

Thanks.

Comment

• Dr Joseph F. Greco
              Ph.D
              • Apr 2009

Hi Dr Greco, thanks for your reply.

I've got another quick question for you. My brother has seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp (his condition is quite mild). Would he be able to get PRP done. Also, you mentioned it has anti-inflammatory properties. Could this potentially help his condition??

Thanks.
              So far we have seen improvements in scalp conditions almost immediately after infusion of high concentrations of growth factors and protein. Its all good for the scalp and hair. It is not a cure but absolutely not a contraindication and would be helpful. Thanks JG

Comment

• becky25
                • Nov 2008

progress

Where can we see pictures of progress. I really want to get this done, but I would have to fly down spending twice as much as it costs. So I need to know it works. Please if anyone had it done, please fill us in about it.

Comment

• Dr Joseph F. Greco
                  Ph.D
                  • Apr 2009

Originally posted by becky25
                  Where can we see pictures of progress. I really want to get this done, but I would have to fly down spending twice as much as it costs. So I need to know it works. Please if anyone had it done, please fill us in about it.
                  Hi becky25, There are photos on my blog at grecohairblog.com of a female. We have had nice results with females and almost everyone feels they see a decrease in hair loss. if you go to my web site and fill out a remote consult, send photos for your hair wet we can evaluate them and connect you with patients who have had PRP. Best,
                  JG

Comment

• frekey
                    • Aug 2009

Dr Greco, I've had a few on going injuries first I had a head injury that left me with 2 scars in the back of my head and hair doesn't grow there. Would PRP therapy stimulate hair growth?

Also relating to PRP, I have muscle damage(according to my chiropractor) to my neck shoulder area, where my trapezius muscles is overworked and hard as a rock. Would PRP injections to the trapezius area help me? Thank you

Comment

• splitting hairs
                      • Jul 2009

Pics

Dr Greco, I am aware that you have been using PRP for some time, but do you have any before and after pictures that you can post for us? There are very few available, including on your website. I am considering PRP myself but would like to see some more pictures before I go ahead and book it.

Many Thanks, SH.

Comment

• Dr Joseph F. Greco
                        Ph.D
                        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by frekey
                        Dr Greco, I've had a few on going injuries first I had a head injury that left me with 2 scars in the back of my head and hair doesn't grow there. Would PRP therapy stimulate hair growth?

Also relating to PRP, I have muscle damage(according to my chiropractor) to my neck shoulder area, where my trapezius muscles is overworked and hard as a rock. Would PRP injections to the trapezius area help me? Thank you
                        Freaky
                        PRP will not work to grow hair in the scar at the back of your head and while we do various orthobiologic injections for arthritis, tendon, ligament and soft tissue injuries, unfortunately, PRP will not work for muscle spasms as you are experiencing. Thanks for the inquiry. JG

Comment

• Dr Joseph F. Greco
                          Ph.D
                          • Apr 2009

Dr Greco, I am aware that you have been using PRP for some time, but do you have any before and after pictures that you can post for us? There are very few available, including on your website. I am considering PRP myself but would like to see some more pictures before I go ahead and book it.

Many Thanks, SH.
                          Hello SH The three photos posted on my blog are the only ones I have permission to post on the internet unfortunately. Additionally, posting photos is difficult because evaluation is always subjective. As to the efficacy of the therapy, three independent studies indicate when you increase vascularity to the follicle, as this does, the follicle increase in size. Cordially, JG

Comment

• phoenix3
                            • Aug 2009

Dr. Greco, first thanks for responding our questions about PRP. My only concern with this treatment is if it can mantain the benefits obtained if you repeated once and again.

Comment

• koenigsegg
                              • Aug 2009

Hello Dr Greco,

I've heard that the prohairclinic in Belgium is going to offer PRP in the end of september after having spoken to Drs, who already are performing PRP. Have they spoken to you? If so, are they going to use the same techniques that you offer/did they learn from you, how to apply PRP?

Is it really necessary to cut the hair down to one inch? I have long hair and would like to keep them long.

Thanks for your help!
                              Greetings from Germany

Comment

• Lyric
                                • Nov 2008

Question for Dr.Greco

Hi Dr.Greco,

I am a 38 year old female who started to lose hair 2 years ago at an accelerated rate once my spironolactone dosage (originally prescribed for acne) was halved from 75 mg's to 37.5 mg's. This seemed to either kickstart or uncover what I have been told is androgenic alopecia. Since then I have had my dosage upped to 150 mg's a day but it doesn't seem to be slowing down the hair loss. I also am getting some spiderweb -like hairs that fall out which tells me the follicles are dying.
                                I live in Vancouver, B.C. and can only seem to find the name of one person (Dr. Moonsang Choi, a naturopath) who performs this therapy on patients. Are you familiar with his work and do you know of anyone else in the Pacific Northwest that is skilled at performing this procedure ?

I know of someone who just came down and got the procedure done by you and had a very positive experience. If finances allowed, I'd jump on a plane to Tampa too.

Thanks for your time,
                                Lyric

Comment

Working...