10/2011 Study: <1.0% Japanese Men Show Side Effects on Finasteride

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • HairTalk
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2011
    • 253

    10/2011 Study: <1.0% Japanese Men Show Side Effects on Finasteride

    Before now, there has been no study of finasteride use exceeding 1 year in Japanese men with androgenetic alopecia (AGA) except the study subsequently conducted from the development phase. Since the launch of finasteride, no study in a larger population had been reported. Ethnic variation of the ons &#8230;


    Of 3,177 Japanese men, adverse reactions were seen in 0.7%.

    Not bad.
  • goldbondmafia
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2011
    • 406

    #2
    Originally posted by HairTalk
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21980923

    Of 3,177 Japanese men, adverse reactions were seen in 0.7&#37;.

    Not bad.
    too bad its not the same in North America, wish it was

    Comment

    • CurlyBird
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2011
      • 105

      #3
      First post! Hi everyone.

      Keep in mind that the Japanese diet is quite different than the western diet. They rely mostly on plants, fish, and a little meat. Little or no refined foods. Perhaps that explains the low incidence.

      I would also like to point out that cancer rates of all sorts are very, very low in Japan, especially if you compare it to the west. This has been attributed to diet, I believe the documentary is Forks Over Knives.

      Comment

      • HairTalk
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2011
        • 253

        #4
        I fail to see the startling difference either of you may be. To my knowledge, studies on men in the United States have shown an incidence of adverse effects in ~1&#37; of men: quite comparable to the 0.7% being reported in this Japanese study.

        Comment

        • clandestine
          Senior Member
          • Aug 2011
          • 2005

          #5
          To me it seems ridiculous that such a large number of members (who frequent baldtruth, as well as other forums pertaining to hair loss) claim to experience significant side effects resulting from propecia usage.

          With a growing number of studies catering to both long and short term usage of the drug, which aim to make clear that sides resulting from finasteride indeed pertain to a minimal minority, how could a guy go wrong?

          The multitude of forum goers who claim to have experienced sides from propecia must be misguided. What other explanation is there?


          /sarcasm

          Comment

          • HairTalk
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2011
            • 253

            #6
            Originally posted by clandestine
            To me it seems ridiculous that such a large number of members (who frequent baldtruth, as well as other forums pertaining to hair loss) claim to experience significant side effects resulting from propecia usage.

            With a growing number of studies catering to both long and short term usage of the drug, which aim to make clear that sides resulting from finasteride indeed pertain to a minimal minority, how could a guy go wrong?

            The multitude of forum goers who claim to have experienced sides from propecia must be misguided. What other explanation is there?


            /sarcasm
            Delete the "/sarcasm," and I agree.

            Comment

            • clandestine
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2011
              • 2005

              #7
              To be frank with you, HairTalk, irreversible sexual dysfunction is not cool.

              Comment

              • HairTalk
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2011
                • 253

                #8
                Originally posted by clandestine
                To be frank with you, HairTalk, irreversible sexual dysfunction is not cool.
                I don't think I or anyone else would consider it to be "cool." That said, the studies into finasteride have indicated an incidence of adverse effects in ~1% of men, and that those effects mostly have been reversible.

                I'm not suggesting anyone who reports suffering from adverse reactions therefore is lying; I am suggesting a good deal of the utter paranoia around this medication, as it is found at least in some on-line fora, appears to be unfounded.

                Comment

                • clandestine
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2011
                  • 2005

                  #9
                  Alright, I agree with you to some extent.

                  In closing, my opinion remains that propecia is currently the best treatment out there to arrest the progression of male pattern baldness.

                  What must also be taken into account is the possibility that propecia users may experience permanent erectile dysfunction, among a plethora of other resulting sexual sides.

                  Comment

                  • ulanude
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2011
                    • 105

                    #10
                    Originally posted by clandestine
                    Alright, I agree with you to some extent.

                    In closing, my opinion remains that propecia is currently the best treatment out there to arrest the progression of male pattern baldness.

                    What must also be taken into account is the possibility that propecia users may experience permanent erectile dysfunction, among a plethora of other resulting sexual sides.
                    It is simply not worth taking Propecia in my opinion. Some recent studies have established even a link to cancer (male breast cancer). A functional and healthy body is the most valuabe resource one can possess. I have dropped propecia 4 years ago - never looked back.

                    Comment

                    • HairTalk
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2011
                      • 253

                      #11
                      Originally posted by ulanude
                      Some recent studies have established even a link to cancer (male breast cancer).
                      Could you cite the studies?

                      Comment

                      • ulanude
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2011
                        • 105

                        #12
                        Originally posted by HairTalk
                        Could you cite the studies?
                        Hi HairTalk,
                        here you go - this is a report published by the MHRA:



                        some excerpts of this report: "In total there have been five UK case reports to the MHRA of male breast cancer associated with finasteride 5 mg (all indicated for BPH)"....."There were 50 worldwide case reports of male breast cancer in patients aged between 54–88 years (mean age 71 years) treated with 5 mg finasteride (Proscar), which were received between April 1992–November 2009 These included 44 medically confirmed reports."

                        Comment

                        • HairTalk
                          Senior Member
                          • Feb 2011
                          • 253

                          #13
                          Originally posted by ulanude
                          Hi HairTalk,
                          here you go - this is a report published by the MHRA:



                          some excerpts of this report: "In total there have been five UK case reports to the MHRA of male breast cancer associated with finasteride 5 mg (all indicated for BPH)"....."There were 50 worldwide case reports of male breast cancer in patients aged between 54–88 years (mean age 71 years) treated with 5 mg finasteride (Proscar), which were received between April 1992–November 2009 These included 44 medically confirmed reports."
                          This study — a review of existing literature — concerns finasteride dosed at 5mg/day; dosing of the drug for the treatment of hairloss is 20% of that. Regarding the 1mg/day dose, the article states there have been three cases reported, world-wide, of development of breast cancer in men on the drug.

                          I hardly believe any of this suggests the risk of formation of breast cancer in men may be increased by use of 1mg/day finasteride (even 5mg/day seems to have a very small likelihood of doing so, according to this study).

                          Comment

                          • ulanude
                            Senior Member
                            • Dec 2011
                            • 105

                            #14
                            Originally posted by HairTalk
                            This study — a review of existing literature — concerns finasteride dosed at 5mg/day; dosing of the drug for the treatment of hairloss is 20% of that. Regarding the 1mg/day dose, the article states there have been three cases reported, world-wide, of development of breast cancer in men on the drug.

                            I hardly believe any of this suggests the risk of formation of breast cancer in men may be increased by use of 1mg/day finasteride (even 5mg/day seems to have a very small likelihood of doing so, according to this study).
                            yeah but 50 reported cases (44 of them medically confirmed) for the 5mg dose. If 5mg can increase the risk of cancer why not the 1mg dose (possibly to a lower degree) one could argue? Better don't take a risk my gut feeling says...

                            Comment

                            • the_charger
                              Member
                              • Apr 2011
                              • 83

                              #15
                              Is this really surprising? Ive been on Propecia for around 6 months or something like that, I havent had a single side effect. I literally feel no different. But im finally seeing my hair is thicker now, even my girlfriend commented on it!

                              Every other study shows the same thing, even in the north american ones. I dont even know why they still spend money studying this drug, because i've seen dozens if not hundreds of studies on it that all keep showing the exact same: It grows hair really well, and side effects are very rare. Maybe it isnt a miracle drug, because some people cant tolerate, but its pretty close to being that.

                              Its interesting that none of these guys had permanent problems either. It seems like certain people online want everyone to believe that permanent side effects happen to everyone, but in this study zero out of 3000 of had these horrible life ending symptoms that people describe. Maybe you need to increase the sample size to 10,000 to see this happening to even one person?

                              People can go on and on and argue about it. But when you get solid data like this, you cant really dismiss it. If you're on the fence about taking Propecia, you should just do it. How many studies do you really need to see to realize this stuff is safe?

                              Comment

                              Working...