Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FineHair
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Tracy C
    Maybe. Who knows? Who knows why women respond to laser better than men? We may never know.
    True. Why is it that most women have benefited from laser treatment versus men?

Comment

• FineHair
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Lewis Hamilton
      FineHair - have a look at Amazon.Com and check the reviews out. They will give you pretty much all the information you need.

The overall view looking at those is for most people they seem to make little or no difference, but some comment that the amount of shedding lessens.

There are no known side effects according to the on-line blurb.

Those amazon review comments are probably from the manufactures themselves Lol

Comment

• Tracy C
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by FineHair
        True. Why is it that most women have benefited from laser treatment versus men?
        I can only guess. We can start with the general attitudes between men and women about treating hair loss. From reading this forum, it is rather obvious that most men feel that if a treatment does not give them all of their hair back - and do so very quickly, the treatment does not work. A woman will take any help she can get - no matter how big or how small the improvement might be. Most women recognize that every little bit helps. Most men want all or nothing. Lexington performed seven studies. In the study that Lexington submitted to the FDA for men's hair loss, Lexington showed that terminal hair count increased by 21 hairs per square centimeter with LLLT. That's not a lot. That's actually just barely cosmetically significant - but every little bit helps. The study that Lexington submitted to get clearance for treating women's hair loss had a little bit better increase in terminal hairs - but not a lot more. However, every little bit helps.

Comment

• baldozer
          • Oct 2012

Lexington showed that terminal hair count increased by 21 hairs per square centimeter with LLLT. That's not a lot.
          Are you kidding me? Its a lot of hair IMO! Its interesting to note that you typically lose 50% of your hair before you notice the thinning, so even if you have a density of 45 hairs/cm2, you are doing pretty well. Now 21% is nearly half of that!

Comment

• Tracy C
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by baldozer
            Now 21% is nearly half of that!
            They do not say 21% and neither did I. They said 21 hairs per square centimeter. Those two things are not the same - and 21 hairs per square centimeter is actually not very much at all considering how many hairs you have per square centimeter before hair loss moves in and ruins your life.

Comment

• FineHair
              • Oct 2012

I saw a couple of hair transplant surgeons in person.

One clinic told me that the laser comb's have been FDA cleared because of (1) Safety & (2) Efficacy. This clinic mentioned that there is also scientific back up indicating the efficacy.

Another clinic, the doctor told me that the combs are not recommended at the clinic and that the FDA only cleared it because of its Safety only not because of it's efficacy.

All in all, I'm confused. Which one is the liar here? Experts speak up. Thanks.

Comment

• goingquick
                • May 2012

I saw a couple of hair transplant surgeons in person.

One clinic told me that the laser comb's have been FDA cleared because of (1) Safety & (2) Efficacy. This clinic mentioned that there is also scientific back up indicating the efficacy.

Another clinic, the doctor told me that the combs are not recommended at the clinic and that the FDA only cleared it because of its Safety only not because of it's efficacy.

Cleared for safety, not efficacy. Ask them to email you a link to the study that backs up it's efficacy.

Comment

• Tracy C
                  • Sep 2011

Contact Lexington and ask them to send you all seven studies.

Some refuse to believe or accept LLLT could be helpful to anyone in any way. That's just the way it is. Some doctors have seen their own patients benefit from using LLLT.

There are also a number of reputable hair restoration doctors who have conducted their own studies to determine the efficacy of LLLT. One doctor that I have a lot of respect for found that the usage schedule as recommended by Lexington is not adequate for best results. He found that it works better when used every other day rather than three times a week. I have used mine every other day since reading the power point presentation of his study results.

There was a Dateline experiment that included the Hairmax laser comb several years ago. I found it on Youtube.

http://www.baumanmedical.com - Dateline NBC followed five men with thinning hair, the "Follicle Five," through a variety of hair regrowth treatments under th...

Comment

• baldozer
                    • Oct 2012

They do not say 21% and neither did I. They said 21 hairs per square centimeter. Those two things are not the same - and 21 hairs per square centimeter is actually not very much at all considering how many hairs you have per square centimeter before hair loss moves in and ruins your life.
                    I was not saying 21% (Sorry for the typo), I was saying that 45 hair / cm2 can give illusion of a full head of hair, and 21 hair / cm2 is almost half of 45 hair / cm2, so its quite a lot of hair.

Comment

• Tracy C
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by baldozer
                      I was not saying 21% (Sorry for the typo)...
                      Fair enough. I still don't feel 21 hairs per square centimeter is a lot. But anyways, think of their claim this way. Those terminal hairs didn't sprout out of the scalp as terminal hairs. LLLT does not do that. Those terminal hairs were vellus hairs before treatment. What doctors who have studied LLLT themselves have found is that LLLT increases the caliber of individual hairs, it increases the strength of individual hairs, it improves the quality of individual hairs and it makes hair grow faster (women love this part BTW). However, if you have a square centimeter of scalp that has less than 21 vellus hairs in it, you will not get 21 terminal hairs out of that area of scalp, no matter what treatment you use. Remember, nothing works on areas that are slick bald - except hair transplant surgery.

Comment

• UK_
                        • Feb 2011

Are there any side effects to using laser combs?
                        Yeah, a pointless loss of income.

Comment

• SL
                          Doctor Representative
                          • Dec 2012

Interesting video. Thanks for posting.
                          Representative for IAHRS Member, Dr. Chris Bisanga
                          View Dr. Bisanga's IAHRS Profile

Comment

• FineHair
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by goingquick
                            Cleared for safety, not efficacy. Ask them to email you a link to the study that backs up it's efficacy.

Why would one doc not sell laser and say what you just said that the lasers have been cleared for safety and not efficacy and the other doctor tell me it's cleared for safety and efficacy?

This industry has a lot of scams and frauds.

Comment

• FineHair
                              • Oct 2012

Contact Lexington and ask them to send you all seven studies.

Some refuse to believe or accept LLLT could be helpful to anyone in any way. That's just the way it is. Some doctors have seen their own patients benefit from using LLLT.

There are also a number of reputable hair restoration doctors who have conducted their own studies to determine the efficacy of LLLT. One doctor that I have a lot of respect for found that the usage schedule as recommended by Lexington is not adequate for best results. He found that it works better when used every other day rather than three times a week. I have used mine every other day since reading the power point presentation of his study results.

There was a Dateline experiment that included the Hairmax laser comb several years ago. I found it on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUeJ...e=results_main

I've seen that video and it's not convincing. I always feel dateline and these news channels are fake and marketing. How come the doctor said it's cleared for safety and not efficacy? I'm sure doctors are up to date with everything. Who wants to go back to the old days of Bosley with plugs?

Comment

• FineHair
                                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by UK_
                                Yeah, a pointless loss of income.
                                Have you tried the lasers, if so, which one?

Comment

Working...