This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John P. Cole, MD
    • Dec 2008

Makes sense to me. I drink a ton of tap water. I had a glass on my desk as I read this.

Comment

• topcat
      • May 2009

Of course one could do much worse than drinking tap water. Depending on what level one would like to achieve in being able to physically perform I think it all matters. It becomes more about the thought process and the habits that are developed.

Just like becoming better in other areas of life all the small habits build on each other just as in any other developed skill. For most small habits when it comes to health don’t seem to matter, to each their own as we all have different goals in life. But one day it might matter and if that day comes it may well be too late.

I believe I have cut a few hundredths of a second off my 100 meter time on the track and I think it might be the water…………….but I can’t say for certain

Comment

• gillenator
        • Dec 2008

topcat,

I just recently looked at the reverse osmosis system. My local Safeway offers this filtered water free of charge. Also just talked with a plumber to install it. He said it is connected directly to the water main intake next to the meter. Cost? About $800 installed. Going to do it.

Years ago I used to drink artesian well water from a local brewery. They have a tap outside for the public so one can take as much as one can transport.

And in the meantime been drinking bottles spring water, primarily Deer park yet the bottling does not state which springs or where they get it.

Dr. Cole,

You always did love your hot cup of coffee in the morning and water in the afternoon along with your fresh strawberries.
        "Gillenator"
        Independent Patient Advocate
        more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Comment

• topcat
          • May 2009

Gillenator that price seems high. Go to Watt Premier’s website as the quality is very good and you can always order replacement filters when needed. They are not very difficult to install you only need basic mechanical skills or maybe ask a neighbor or friend. The only difficult part would be not having a hole available for the faucet. If you have a separate sprayer you can use that hole and change out the faucet with a sprayer built in otherwise you would need a metal cutting bit for a stainless steel sink or maybe some different for material other than stainless steel. You would need to core out a I believe it’s 1” hole for the faucet.

I have installed 4 systems doing a couple for friends, should take about 30 minutes or so.

Comment

• topcat
            • May 2009

It might look complicated………….but it’s a piece of cake

Comment

• gillenator
              • Dec 2008

Thanks topcat, I will check it out. And the photo you put up is exactly the system that I want to install.
              "Gillenator"
              more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Comment

• topcat
                • May 2009

I would order the system and give it a shot installing it yourself. You can always ask for help or hire someone later but like I wrote it's really not that hard.

You can also add a mineral block in line to reminerlize the water also very simple and it's added from before the faucet.

Comment

• gillenator
                  • Dec 2008

Good idea because we sure do not get these vital minerals in processed food.
                  "Gillenator"
                  more.hair@verizon.net

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
                    Doctor Representative
                    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by topcat
                    I would order the system and give it a shot installing it yourself. You can always ask for help or hire someone later but like I wrote it's really not that hard.

You can also add a mineral block in line to reminerlize the water also very simple and it's added from before the faucet.
                    We have been getting our water from the in-house filtration system at Natural Foods Warehouse just up the road from us in Alpharetta, GA. At first we weren't adding minerals to the water and one of the problems my wife and I encountered was muscle spasms. That's fairly common when drinking distilled water or water deficient in minerals. For us the cramps happen when trying to sleep. You wake up with leg or foot cramps. My wife buys a mineral product called Spectramin. If you get leg or foot cramps, a mineral supplement added to water gives almost immediate relief.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
                    forhair.com
                    Cole Hair Transplant
                    1045 Powers Place
                    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
                    Phone 678-566-1011
                    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
                    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Comment

• gillenator
                      • Dec 2008

The things that we need to do just to drink clean healthy water!
                      "Gillenator"
                      more.hair@verizon.net

Comment

• topcat
                        • May 2009

We can also add that moving water like a fresh water stream or a mountain spring is even healthier as the ions are negatively charged which are supposed to have health giving properties for the human body. I know now we are getting into the crazy talk. Like earthing.............walking barefoot to release positive ions from the body into the ground...............lol..............works the same way.

Okay let’s get back to something more sane like adding poison to the water.......... chlorine.............. but not so much that it kills you only enough to kill what’s in the water. Long term I think it should be okay.............at least we hope so.

If I had to pick something that in my opinion really increases skin cancer substantially it’s soaking in a heavily chlorinated bath...............your local swimming pool. I did jump into a swimming pool this summer while I was in Macedonia but this person’s pool was all salt water a much better approach.

I’m somewhat familiar with how public pools operate and more often than not the liquid chlorine is just dumped in until the water clears with not much thought about what the effects will be.

Always good to have information.

Walking on a beach barefoot with moving water being sprayed into the air feels good for a reason.

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
                          Doctor Representative
                          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by topcat
                          If I had to pick something that in my opinion really increases skin cancer substantially it’s soaking in a heavily chlorinated bath...............your local swimming pool. I did jump into a swimming pool this summer while I was in Macedonia but this person’s pool was all salt water a much better approach.
                          I have wondered that myself. I remember reading a while back that doctors are baffled that melanoma is appearing on areas of the body that don't get sun exposure. What's really bad are the high levels of chlorine in the standard public jacuzzi. Some have the odor of an open chlorine bottle from 40 feet.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
                          forhair.com
                          Cole Hair Transplant
                          1045 Powers Place
                          Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
                          Phone 678-566-1011
                          email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
                          Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Comment

• gillenator
                            • Dec 2008

I have read that if you allow tap water to stand for at least 24 hours, the chlorine, ammonia, etc evaporates. Yet there are still other additives, and who knows what?

The natural filtration of ground water is one of the reasons why I drank artesian water for years.

And I do have a hot tub on my deck but rarely if ever use it. Friends and family love it but my wife and I never use it. And there are a whole array of chemicals that can be added to it however I just drain it every three months and add chlorine when needed.

Definitely going to install the filtration system.
                            "Gillenator"
                            more.hair@verizon.net

Comment

• greatjob!
                              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by 35YrsAfter
                              I have wondered that myself. I remember reading a while back that doctors are baffled that melanoma is appearing on areas of the body that don't get sun exposure.
                              Clothes don't block all UV radiation. There is actually a UV protection rating for clothes called UPF, some clothes block very little and some block nearly all UV rays. Add that to the fact that many other things can cause DNA mutations in your skin cells and it really isn't that big of a mystery.

Before I entered the field of molecular biology I ignored most warnings about something causing cancer, now I look at it a little differently. Every cell in your body (there is about 60-90 trillion of them) is essentially x number of mutations (could be 1, could be 20 ect.) away from becoming cancerous and killing you. I honestly think it is amazing the incidence of cancer in the population isn't higher.

Comment

• gillenator
                                • Dec 2008

Read something about that with clothing, so anyone working outside would be wise to look into it. Better than having no protection at all.
                                "Gillenator"
                                more.hair@verizon.net

Comment

Working...