Shock loss

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Condor
    • May 2011

Ok Frankie, it's been 7 months since my HT and I have to say, it looks GREAT!

I never thought my hair could look this thick or shiny. I am thrilled with my HT, although it was f%$king hell for a while. Hell. For a long time... I had tons of pimples on my scalp which I scratched during my sleep, my nails were filled with blood every morning, I was literally a bloody mess, I had to wear my hair in such a ridiculous way you can not even imagine, like Curly from the Three Stooges, except thinner. Bandanas, hats, everything. My scalp used to itch like I had a colony of ants in there. BUT... Now, it was all worth it. Hang in there. It's worth it. Now I still use Toppik, but so little, like a sprinkle, just close to the hairline, although if I weren't so vain, I could do without it. After all, I am in my forties... And looking GOOD!!! Wish you the best!

Originally posted by Condor
    Hey Frankie, I'm in the exact same situation. I opted for a fourth, and last, transplant two and a half weeks ago, to fill out my previous transplants, and a lot of my previous hair grafts fell out, which I thought were shockproof. Now I look much worse than before the last HT. Sure hope everything will grow as the doctor says...

Comment

• David s
      • Oct 2011

I had a transplant done by Dr E Epstein in Richmond Va.in mid Aug.2969 grafts.2 weeks later I lost almost all the hair I already had on the top of my head.shock loss is what they said.I am very freaked but was told it will come back,,,is there a chance it won't and when will I see the new hair?which should come back first,,,the hair from the shock loss or the transplanted hair?

Comment

• Frankie Boy
        • Mar 2011

Shockloss

Originally posted by David s
        I had a transplant done by Dr E Epstein in Richmond Va.in mid Aug. 2011 I had2969 grafts.2 weeks later I lost almost all the hair I already had on the top of my head.shock loss is what they said.I am very freaked but was told it will come back,,,is there a chance it won't and when will I see the new hair?which should come back first,,,the hair from the shock loss or the transplanted hair?Now I really am bald before it was just thinning.
        It's been 7 months and my shocked hair grew back. It was grafts that were shocked. I belive most of your hair should grow . Maybe hair that was ready to fall out soon might not

Comment

• Condor
          • May 2011

Hey David, hang in there.

Hey David, I was in the exact same situation as you. I also lost all my grafted hair following a transplant. I was devastated. And I am a model, so you understand. You cannot imagine. But sure enough, it all grew back. Slowly, but it did. And I did not exactly follow the doctor's orders, which was protein, green tea, vegetables and blah blah blah. I was too depressed about my hair loss. So it was French Fries, mayonnaise, and Jack Daniels for me for a while. But things got better. Hang in there. Things will get better, I promise. I now have a full head of hair.

Comment

• VictimOfDHT
            • Apr 2011

Hey Frankie, I'm in the exact same situation. I opted for a fourth, and last, transplant two and a half weeks ago, to fill out my previous transplants, and a lot of my previous hair grafts fell out, which I thought were shockproof. Now I look much worse than before the last HT. Sure hope everything will grow as the doctor says...
            Never had shock loss after any of my HTs. What I had was much much worse than shock loss. My transplanted hair is falling out. This has happened for the fourth time. Not all of it but maybe half....so far.

BTW, how many grafts in total did you have in these 4 HTs and were they for the whole head or just a certain part ??

Comment

• David s
              • Oct 2011

Hey David, I was in the exact same situation as you. I also lost all my grafted hair following a transplant. I was devastated. And I am a model, so you understand. You cannot imagine. But sure enough, it all grew back. Slowly, but it did. And I did not exactly follow the doctor's orders, which was protein, green tea, vegetables and blah blah blah. I was too depressed about my hair loss. So it was French Fries, mayonnaise, and Jack Daniels for me for a while. But things got better. Hang in there. Things will get better, I promise. I now have a full head of hair.
              Hey Condor,
              Thanks for the reassurance ,,,,I am only at week 9 and wear a hat now because I am bald losing all my other hair to shock loss,,,waiting is the hard part,the HT took 8 hours but no problems or discomfort.it seems like I can feel little hairs just can't see it yet.

Comment

• David s
                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Frankie Boy
                It's been 7 months and my shocked hair grew back. It was grafts that were shocked. I belive most of your hair should grow . Maybe hair that was ready to fall out soon might not
                Hey Frankie boy,
                Which hair came back first ,,,the lost hair or the new HT,,,or could you tell,,,,was it all back in 7 months and how long before you could see the growth?

Comment

• gillenator
                  • Dec 2008

Whenever hair shocks out, it's the hair follicles that go into the telogen (resting) phase and whether it's the existing hair follicles or transplanted hair follicles, they will rest for approximately 3-4 months and then re-enter the growth (anagen) phase and resume hair growth.

However, very debilitated hair that is thin and on it's way out may not come back and produce hair again. But like many will tell you, that hair would not be around much longer any way whether shocked out or not.

So the transplants and the natural hair should cycle through togethor and that's where you will notice it visually and see the increase in overall density as well as coverage.

But remember, this all takes up to one year to see the result of regrowth.

Best wishes to you!
                  "Gillenator"
                  Independent Patient Advocate
                  more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Comment

• Condor
                    • May 2011

Hey David s,
                    I truly hope this helps. I wish I could send a picture of my hair right now. I actually have one of a week ago. Amazing. And I went through hell for it. Pimples, blood, gross itchy stuff the doctor never talked about. My last HT took 13 hours. But look at the results. I wish you the best luck!

Comment

• Condor
                      • May 2011

[QUOTE=Condor;41907]Hey David s,
                      I truly hope this helps. I wish I could send a picture of my hair right now. I actually have one of a week ago. Amazing. And I went through hell for it. Pimples, blood, gross itchy stuff the doctor never talked about. My last HT took 13 hours. But look at the results. I wish you the best luck!

Comment

• David s
                        • Oct 2011

Well I guess it's just the wait now,,,,,thanks for your reply it took some of my freak out away with everyone telling me it will come back,,,but what a shock I got with the total shock loss I had,,,,I remember the doc telling me about that but did not pay much attention,,,until it happened,,,he said it was rare but I think it happens more often than what he said.

Comment

• Condor
                          • May 2011

Oh I totally think shock loss happens way more often than what HT doctors say. And let me tell you, I freaked out. I was taking showers and big clumps of hair were stuck in my hands, not on my scalp. I was thinking "There is no way this hair is ever going to grow back", it was just too much loss. And then I kept reading about if the hair is already on it's way out, a HT just accelerates the process. Then the scalp pimples came!
                          It is a waiting game. It did all grow back. I am thrilled with the final results. I will post a post picture soon, it's pretty amazing. But man, the hell I went through... Hang in there.

Comment

• Mr. 4000
                            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Denver Mint
                            dg,

I am only one person with an opinion, but I wouldn't tell my worst enemy to get a strip surgery. FUE is more expensive but you don't risk the scar. I am young but one day I may have to have chemotherapy. I don't even want to think about dealing with having a scar from one ear to the other on the back of my head knowing my hair would probably fall out...to me, people knowing I had the surgery is even worse than going bald.

Also, in the event you are not happy with the surgery and decide instead of chasing your baldness for years to come and spending thousands of dollars, now you may be stuck with dealing with your thinning hair, bad surgery and a scar to deal with to determine how you are going to proceed.

Keep doing research and think about it and you will make the right decision. I am not against hair transplant surgery so I don't want to sway you but it is good to know the risks.
                            I couldn't agree more. I would NEVER suggest to anyone to have a strip procedure. SO much can go wrong, and no matter what you will be back for a 2nd round at some point in your life to cover up something that didn't come out right.

My scalp is stretched so badly to account for the amount of donor taken in the back that my whole scalp has be unnaturally shift back. Pulling the scalp back has exposed much more of my forehead than has ever been exposed before the procedure. I will need 1500 graft to have my original look back from the front. FUE is the only way to go and that has a ton of risks, but you will never have to worry about having your scalp stretched unnaturally covering areas that it wasn't intended to cover. My scalp is so tight at some point during everyday since that loser doctor touched my head I haven't had a normal day pain free.

If you read my thread on the "nightmare experience" I did a ton of research and still picked a loser doctor. Matter of fact the more research you do could possible lead you down the wrong road. It is hard to determine in a state of finding a solution for your hairloss and relying on what is rational or irrational on the internet or in person.

I used this site and others and was still mislead.

Great point Denver, just go natural and save your money

Comment

• David s
                              • Oct 2011

Hey Condor,,,I'd like to see your pics,,,I'll post mine of before the HT and after,,,if I can figure out how to do it,,and then I'll just have to wait to post the finished outcome.

Comment

• gillenator
                                • Dec 2008

David, you are just entering the third month post-op. The regrowth should start showing any time now. Usually 3-4 months before you start seeing anything.

It also sounds like you were experiencing a diffused thinning pattern. Without seeing your before pics, it's hard to tell how diffused your existing hair was. Obviously thare have been lots of miniturization going on for years right?

The weakest hair may not come back. The stronger hair will regrow along with the transplanted hair. Both the transplants and existing natural hair rests for 3-4 months once it sheds and enters the resting (telogen) phase. It will then both regrow once the follicles re-enter the growth (anagen) phase.

Hang in there for awhile longer. Feel free to email me your progress pics if you want my opinion as your journey through the regrowth.

Best wishes to you my friend.
                                "Gillenator"
                                Independent Patient Advocate
                                more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Comment

Working...