Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crown exposed
    • Jul 2009

Can I deduct my transplant?

I want to double check...from searching the internet it appears that you can deduct your hair transplant cost as a medical expense in 2009 taxes. Is this correct? I found places online also saying that you could not. I just want to make sure I'm right before I do anything.
  • Plum
    • Jan 2009

Where are you from? This is true in Canada.

Comment

• crown exposed
      • Jul 2009

I am in the good ol' midwest of the United States

Comment

• mkamph
        • Dec 2008

if you're an actor or a model you could. otherwise, it's not a medical neccesity. it's considered strictly cosmetic. i'm a cpa.

Comment

• Winston
          • Mar 2009

What if you do public speaking for a living?

Comment

• mkamph
            • Dec 2008

i'm assuming your appearance isn't the subject of your public speeches, so you can't deduct it. in other words, people don't go to your speeches because of how you look. additionally, i would assume that since you're getting a hair transplant your adjusted gross income is relatively high and since you can only deduct medical expenses above 7 &1/2 percent of your income it may not even be a deduction on the relevant schedule. if you're self employed or have flow thru income it would, but it's still not worth the risk based on the previous assumptions. good luck with the ht.

Comment

• gillenator
              • Dec 2008

IMHO I think it will come down to which country you file in. As was mentioned, the US and Canada are quite different. Consult several experienced tax professionals for advice.
              "Gillenator"
              Independent Patient Advocate
              more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Comment

Working...