View Full Version : Propecia and brain fog

04-14-2010, 07:36 AM
I have recently noticed a difference in terms of my concentration levels and clarity of speech.I find myself missing out full words when i talk or write/type and it seems to be getting worse.

I have read about "brain fog" which some are linking to the use of propecia/proscar.

Do any of you know anything about this subject?

04-14-2010, 03:05 PM
I sorta felt that way too.....but then I analyzed the way I was living. It was probably more the fact that I was only getting 4-5 hours of sleep a night haha. Idk man, it's really hard to say if its actually happening or not. When I did feel it I guess it was sorta like a very mild hang over...at least cognitively.

I'm curious about this too. The downside of it is --the depression of stopping finasteride and having my hair-loss pick up again will be far more disruptive.

Dr. Glenn Charles
04-15-2010, 07:13 PM
I have been prescribing Finasteride for many years and do not have a single patient that has reported this particular side effect. That does not mean that it is not possible, but certainly very uncommon. Maybe if you sent an e-mail to the customer support at Merck they would respond and get you some additional information regarding your situation.

04-19-2010, 11:15 PM
It sounds more like classic symptoms of depression to me. I think a lot of guys are convinced that their obvious symptoms of hair loss related depression are side effects of Propecia. I heard Spencer Kobren discussing this on his radio show a few weeks ago. I agree with his assessment.

Fixed by 35
04-20-2010, 06:30 AM
It sounds like depression to me too. I've spent most of the last seven years with brain fog, irrespective of whether I was on medication at the time or not.