View Full Version : Frontal fibrosing alopecia?

07-07-2015, 07:11 PM
Has anyone experienced this disorder? I've had a sore hairline since November and was thinking this could be why. It literally feels like it's bruised underneath the skin. I've taken fin for 1 yr and 9 months and this is getting out of control..

07-07-2015, 07:30 PM
doesn't this happen primarily in old women? is there something you're not telling us Ziggy? haha ;)

Rashid Rashid, MD, PhD
07-07-2015, 07:41 PM
We have seen men and women with this condition. The diagnosis can alter the management so if this is a possible diagnosis in you then a scalp biopsy would be a key next step to consider.

07-07-2015, 08:10 PM
doesn't this happen primarily in old women? is there something you're not telling us Ziggy? haha ;)

Yeah I realize that it happens in older women, but my description fits it extremely well.

Dr. Rashid, what signs should I look for to confirm this?

Rashid Rashid, MD, PhD
07-07-2015, 08:17 PM
Dermatology(specialty of derma i.e hair/skin) has just started to define this condition and its a relatively new one in the world of derma. Often it is a combination of a pattern focusing on the hair line, sensation changes in the skin, and visible signs of inflammation i.e erythema, hyperkeratosis, as well as dermascopic changes. Truth is, it has a lot of overlap with MPB but a completely different etiology and pathology and this is why a scalp biopsy can be vital. It does happen in men/women of all ages though it skews more towards female that doesnt mean you cant have it. You should find the local university based dermatologist to get a comprehensive eval. The docs at the university love rare conditions like this most of the time. They are very into academic and novel conditions. I also authored an emedicine chapter on scarring alopecia online but since this is a new condition it is not as comprehensive as we would like just yet. I am also an advocate of not over emphasizing pattern over examination and evaluation. It is more an issue in women, but again very possible and does happen in men. This is more technical then emedicine but here is a manuscript on it http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22672277

07-08-2015, 07:20 AM
Dr. Rashid, when this pain happened in my scalp, I had small raised skin colored bumps at my widows peak.. I asked about hyperkeratosis and my dermatologist said that it doesn't exist and that he didn't recognize it. The weird thing is, when I was getting this itching and inflammation, I noticed a bump on my head behind my hairline which he said was a keratosis and that they're normal.. It's just very odd that I'm taking finasteride for a year and out of nowhere all this happens on my scalp..

I'll try and find a dermatologist I guess for a biopsy. It's unfortunate that it need to be taken from my hairline.

07-08-2015, 06:45 PM
I have the same, Ziggy. It sucks

07-08-2015, 08:13 PM
Dr. Rashid, quick question. I seem to have increased body hair growth while on propecia for 1yr and 9 months.. Have you heard of this? I thought increased body hair was due to dht? I grew knuckle hair, more leg hair, and some chest..