Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy | Dr. Joseph Greco Ph.D. Answers Your Questions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr Joseph F. Greco
    Ph.D
    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by smileyface19
    What are the chances of shock loss after the traumatizing of the scalp?
    Good question. Never say never in medicine. Depending on the method and how aggressive you stimulate would directly relate to shock loss. It is not necessary to use a needle longer than 1mm and it is not necessary to cause any bleeding. GF's will not cause shock loss, but if you traumatize to aggressively you may certainly cause shock loss.

Comment

• Dr Joseph F. Greco
      Ph.D
      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by smileyface19
      Would you recommend this treatment for younger people who are not good candidates for a surgical hair transplants yet? Dr. Robert Jones is performing this now in Toronto which is not far from home... I don't want to go under the knife as in HT this early just in case, you know? Anyway he was trained by you and apperintly theres another doctor in Vancouver who is performing this now as well but by using a different technique. Could you try and explain his technique and how it differs from yours? Also I'd like to get off the Mino because it's kind of a pain in the ass putting it on and stuff, I mean I want to be able to go camping and not have greasy lotion in my hair. Just take a pill every second day and possibly this procedure twice a year. Easy.
      First, if you are experiencing results with Mino stay with it. If it seems like you are leveling off then adding the PRP treatment may be an option.

I do not know what technique the Dr from Vancouver is utilizing so I cannot comment on that.

I use PRP or PRP with the protein matrix (Orogen Plus). The technique is the same, but the OP formula is proprietary and requires a second processing step to create the extra cellular protein matrix. At this point we have not disclosed that formula.

Comment

• iwannakeephair1674
        • Nov 2008

I really want to get this treatment done Dr. Greco! Where can I send you pictures of my hair "wet" and talk to you about seeing if I am a good candidate and possibly scheduling a visit soon. I would really like to get in contact with you about doing this as a yearly treatment.

Destin

Comment

• Dr Joseph F. Greco
          Ph.D
          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by iwannakeephair1674
          I really want to get this treatment done Dr. Greco! Where can I send you pictures of my hair "wet" and talk to you about seeing if I am a good candidate and possibly scheduling a visit soon. I would really like to get in contact with you about doing this as a yearly treatment.

Destin
          Hello Destin,

Just go to grecohairsurgery.com, fill out a remote consultation with all your medical and hair loss history then email photos of your hair wet. We will evaluate them and contact you with our recommendations.

Best,
          JG

Comment

• bobthebuilder
            • May 2009

Dear Greco,

My question is; with all the growth factors injected into one area, what is the chance of cancer cells forming? and what testing has been taken to assure us there is no risk?

BTB

Comment

• Dr Joseph F. Greco
              Ph.D
              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by bobthebuilder
              Dear Greco,

My question is; with all the growth factors injected into one area, what is the chance of cancer cells forming? and what testing has been taken to assure us there is no risk?

BTB
              Great question and the answer is no.

"The secreted growth factors immediately bind to the external surface of the cell membranes of cells in the graft, flap, or wound via transmembrane receptors. Studies have shown that adult mesenchymal stem cells, osteoblasts, fibroblasts, endothelial cells and epidermal cells express the cell membrane receptors to growth factors in PRP. ( Marx, RE 1998) These transmembrane receptors in turn induce and activation of an endogenous internal signal protein, which causes the expression (unlocks) of a normal gene sequence of the cell such as cellular proliferation, matrix formation, osteoid production, collagen synthesis, etc.

The importance of this is that the PRP growth factors never enter the cell or it's nucleus, they are not mutagenic, and they act through the stimulation of normal healing, just much faster. Therefore, PRP has no ability to induce tumor formation and has never done so." (Marx, RE, 2001), ( Schmitz, et al, 2001)

Comment

• becky25
                • Nov 2008

Hi!

So I think that PRP would be a good choice for me. I have androgenic alopecia. I'm a woman and I've tried pretty much everything. Rogaine, spiro to name a few...I don't think I'm losing anymore, but I really want to have enough hair to be me again. But I'm a student and as such I really can't afford to fly to Florida any time soon, money wise and time wise. I'm concerned, however of anyone else doing this. So really what I'm asking is are you training other docs to do this? Hahaha or are you coming to PA soon?? And also I wanted to say is if this works...even alittle cause a little helps, then I am all for you having your own national holiday! Seriously, people who care about this issue are awesome is my book! Thanks for everything.

Comment

• bobthebuilder
                  • May 2009

Dr. Greco,

Thanks for your response.

Question two; Why did you go down the route of using various growth factors from human blood?

Was there ever any though just to use synthetic growth factors?

Comment

• Dr Joseph F. Greco
                    Ph.D
                    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by becky25
                    So I think that PRP would be a good choice for me. I have androgenic alopecia. I'm a woman and I've tried pretty much everything. Rogaine, spiro to name a few...I don't think I'm losing anymore, but I really want to have enough hair to be me again. But I'm a student and as such I really can't afford to fly to Florida any time soon, money wise and time wise. I'm concerned, however of anyone else doing this. So really what I'm asking is are you training other docs to do this? Hahaha or are you coming to PA soon?? And also I wanted to say is if this works...even alittle cause a little helps, then I am all for you having your own national holiday! Seriously, people who care about this issue are awesome is my book! Thanks for everything.
                    Hello in PA.... actually I grew up in PA and most of my family is there. The females we have done in the past have done quite well. If you are not coming to Florida then I believe Dr Tom Law in NY may be utilizing PRP. Best, JG

Comment

• Dr Joseph F. Greco
                      Ph.D
                      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by bobthebuilder
                      Dr. Greco,

Thanks for your response.

Question two; Why did you go down the route of using various growth factors from human blood?

Was there ever any though just to use synthetic growth factors?
                      We have been utilizing a GF/ECM complex and difficult to synthesize at this point. We are working on this and some other things however.

Comment

• baldingpittfan
                        • Dec 2008

Dr. Greco,

I'm just wondering, do we know why this is not as effective at the hairline as it is in the vertex? Also, is it effective at all at the hairline? My hairline is what I'm losing, well lost, and I'm really hoping for a miracle in this area. Thank you!

Comment

• ERROCK
                          • May 2009

Dr. Greco,

Are there any Dr.s in California or near using this as of yet?

Thank you sir!

Comment

• Dr Joseph F. Greco
                            Ph.D
                            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by baldingpittfan
                            Dr. Greco,

I'm just wondering, do we know why this is not as effective at the hairline as it is in the vertex? Also, is it effective at all at the hairline? My hairline is what I'm losing, well lost, and I'm really hoping for a miracle in this area. Thank you!
                            Truthfully, I do not know that answer. Like DHT blockers and Rogaine the anterior corners are difficult to treat, but we treat it anyway because it cannot hurt and may help maintain whatever existing hair is there. If you have already lost your hairline hair transplantation is your only option at this point. Many of us are working to solve this problem in the future. Cordially, JG

Comment

• Dr Joseph F. Greco
                              Ph.D
                              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by ERROCK
                              Dr. Greco,

Are there any Dr.s in California or near using this as of yet?

Thank you sir!
                              I do not know of anyone yet, but can let you know in the future. Again, we are the only one doing the PRP and protein matrix complex as it is a proprietary formula.

Comment

• d0072
                                • Jun 2009

Hello there Dr. Greco!
                                I am in need of knowing if this process is available anywhere on the pacific side of the country, if so where?
                                Also, I am 20 years old, my hairline is receding, not noticbly yet, but on the temples you can see through and my scalp shows but i can tell that my hair isnt growing there anymore, I just see that the back hair hides it since i comb forward. Will this proccess help any temple regrowth and can it work well with natural vitamins/ suppliments that aid hair restoration such as Saw palmeto and emu oil?
                                Thank You!

Comment

Working...