Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thebaldone1
    • Apr 2010

Starting today

Just started my Fin today. I also got the nizoral shampoo and will be starting that tonight as well. It says to use twice a week, so should i use it Monday and Thursday? Or does it really matter what days I use it? Also, on the propecia how long does the shed period last? I'm posting two photos today of my hairline and then how thin the top of my head is. I will post pictures every four months to see if there will be any improvements or not, I know that it typically takes about 8 to 12 months too see any signs of gains. I want to say thanks to everyone on The Bald Truth forums for all of the information that is helping people try and beat MPB!
    Attached Files
  • Dr. Glenn Charles
    IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon
    • Nov 2008

I usually recommend patients only starting one new treatment at a time. That way if there are any negative side effects you will know what caused them. Once you have been taking a treatment for a few months without side effects then you can start a second treatment. Have you considered Rogaine as well?
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Comment

• Thebaldone1
      • Apr 2010

Thank you Dr. Charles, I will stick with just the fin for a couple of months and then start using the nizoral. I have thought about rogaine, but being in college and getting an extreme shed I decided not to. I have hidden a lot of my hairloss and receding hairline pretty well. I just hope to thicken it up and put a holt on this until a treatment finally does come out. I do have one quick question about side effects. If I were to see any negative side effects from the fin, when would I first start noticing them?

Comment

• Dr. Glenn Charles
        • Nov 2008

Athough side effects are uncommon they usually presents themselves shortly after starting the medication. There are some incidents of delayed side effects, but these cases are even more rare.
        Dr. Glenn Charles
        View my IAHRS Profile

Comment

• Spex
          Dr Representative
          • Nov 2008

Good advice doc, roll with one med at a time. Nizoral shampoo is pretty strong stuff and can cause major shedding so dont be too quick to jump on it. Propecia is the main weapon.
          Regards
          S
          Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Comment

• Thebaldone1
            • Apr 2010

so I have been on fin since oct. 25, I know it has only been just over 2 weeks, but I have yet to see any kind of side effects. I would assume I haven't taken the medication long enough for it to start kicking in. To me it seems that I have started to shed a little bit more. Although, it is probably just my imagination getting the best of me. When does the shed/ side effects come in? Also, would it be fine to start taking the nizoral shampoo or should I wait another month?

Comment

• Dr. Glenn Charles
              • Nov 2008

I would recommend continuing the Propecia for another month or two and then start the Nizoral shampoo. You should only use the Nizoral 2x/week for a while before considering using it more often. Some initial shedding is common when first starting Propecia or rogaine.
              Dr. Glenn Charles
              View my IAHRS Profile

Comment

• question
                • Aug 2010

How are you doing.

Comment

• Thebaldone1
                  • Apr 2010

So far I havent experienced any side effects, besides the shedding. I have noticed Im shedding a lot more than normal plus my hairline is looking a lot worse. Here is a picture that I took tonight.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• DotheDewNorwood2
                    • Mar 2010

Baldone, Im assuming you were prescribed fin by your doctor or dermatologist. Did he/she mention how long the shed would last, and from the research I can gather, this is only a sign it is working, correct? I am also curious how old you are. I am 27, approx nw2-3 and about to begin propecia within the next few weeks. Anyone else with experience with the propecia shed, please share your thoughts.

Thanks

Comment

• Thebaldone1
                      • Apr 2010

Yes my doctor prescribed me the fin. I believe that the shed lasts about 3 to 4 months and then it is to regrow some of your hair back hopefully. Im just about to turn 22 which sucks that I am already starting to go through the stages of mpb. I am hoping to get a hair transplant sometime soon hopefully.

Comment

• DotheDewNorwood2
                        • Mar 2010

Thanks for the quick response. I hope the best for you man, but I'm pretty sure fin will buy us sometime before the real deal hits the market which looks to be very soon. Happy early 22nd.

Comment

• Jeremy12
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thebaldone1
                          Yes my doctor prescribed me the fin. I believe that the shed lasts about 3 to 4 months and then it is to regrow some of your hair back hopefully. Im just about to turn 22 which sucks that I am already starting to go through the stages of mpb. I am hoping to get a hair transplant sometime soon hopefully.
                          How young can you get a HT? I was really thinking about getting one, but apparently it's not possible :/

Comment

• DotheDewNorwood2
                            • Mar 2010

Progress

Hey man, just wanted to see how its going for you. Last time you posted you had increased shedding and the hairline was getting worse. Anything new? did your shedding stop? Hairline comeback? Any update would be great. Thanks

Comment

• Thebaldone1
                              • Apr 2010

I feel like I have stopped shedding as much as before. But I still have not seen a big improvement. I do believe that its on the way, jumped out of the shower to day and saw a ton of shorter hairs starting to pop up on my hairline. Not sure if they are new healthy hair coming in or hair that is miniaturizing. Ill try to put some pictures up tomorrow, just too busy with school right now

Comment

Working...