+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by doug546 View Post
    To hairysituation: yes, the hair transplant turnaround is definitely ironic, but I didn't explain it fully. I have a surgeon in California who came highly recommended and didn't explain to me to wait to use minoxidil, he only said after a 12-hour procedure after which we were all really worn out, "Now that you've had a transplant you should think about getting on propecia and minoxidil." I went home the next day, had some in my cabinet someone had given me about a year ago, and used it. I learned later that I should have waited up to a month before I applied it, and there's a good chance the alcohol in the minoxidil got into the lesions and may have killed the grafts. I went through three weeks of worrying and stressing over it, and, as I stated in the post, finally took a look at the big picture. If I'm going to be bald, I'll be bald (unfortunately, however, with a scar running down the back of my head, which I won't be too happy about, so will probably have to look at alternatives to that); things could be a lot worse (like, uh... I could be dead right now?). I any case, the surgery was on October 7th... I have AT LEAST three months before knowing if the procedure actually worked. In the meantime, I'm suddenly seeing a ton of guys with shaved heads... I think my own insecurities made me overlook those guys initially. I'm actually missing cutting my hair super short right now because the scars are so obvious if I do that.

Re: comments, I'm not so sure I agree that "a man should take care of his problems himself." It's a little stereotypical of what "a man" is supposed to be, and these forums are here for support from others; BreakingBald definitely sounds like he's depressed and is reaching out for some help in re: to some problems he doesn't know how to handle himself.
    Was the doctor an IHRS-member? It sucks if the grafts died because of some wrong Minoxidil instructions. You should really sue the doctor if that`s the case. And to have the strip scar in addition after "realizing" that the shaved head is a good look (in your view), must be pretty hard on you.

I get the desperation and the depression. However, I think it would be better if the members used their time to educate themself regarding their options, instead of dumping their negative emotions all over the place.
    I maybe came around a little harsh, but I mean that a man shouldn`t be crying over their problems, but rather take action, stay rational, educate themself and (hopefully) find a solution.

The doc wasn't (I think) an IHRS member, but was recommended by a very well known one. He was also a really nice guy, and he didn't know I had minoxidil, and probably assumed I would wait a few days before buying any (like filling the propecia Rx he gave me). So I don't think it was anything he did on purpose, just overlooked, as we had done almost 4200 grafts in a day, it was 8:00 at night, and we were all beat from 12 hours of surgery. Second: if the grafts don't grow, how can I prove it was as a result of the minoxidil? I'm reading some people posting here who have not had any growth, even up to a year, and they're being told it's probably not going to happen; I doubt they used minoxidil too early, so it could be physiological, poor placement of the grafts, etc. I also signed a pretty lengthy waiver before the surgery, which probably stated there were no guarantees (now that I think of it, they never gave me a copy). Last, it's my word against the doctor's: how can I prove that he never told me to wait on using the minoxidil when (if I remember correctly) the surgical team was no longer in the room and there were no witnesses. And even if there were, would they agree with me since they worked for him? Doubtful. So, legally: I'm screwed. Kind of wished I'd never gone through the procedure and just left things as they were.

The doc wasn't (I think) an IHRS member, but was recommended by a very well known one. He was also a really nice guy, and he didn't know I had minoxidil, and probably assumed I would wait a few days before buying any (like filling the propecia Rx he gave me). So I don't think it was anything he did on purpose, just overlooked, as we had done almost 4200 grafts in a day, it was 8:00 at night, and we were all beat from 12 hours of surgery. Second: if the grafts don't grow, how can I prove it was as a result of the minoxidil? I'm reading some people posting here who have not had any growth, even up to a year, and they're being told it's probably not going to happen; I doubt they used minoxidil too early, so it could be physiological, poor placement of the grafts, etc. I also signed a pretty lengthy waiver before the surgery, which probably stated there were no guarantees (now that I think of it, they never gave me a copy). Last, it's my word against the doctor's: how can I prove that he never told me to wait on using the minoxidil when (if I remember correctly) the surgical team was no longer in the room and there were no witnesses. And even if there were, would they agree with me since they worked for him? Doubtful. So, legally: I'm screwed. Kind of wished I'd never gone through the procedure and just left things as they were.
    I feel for you man, you sounds like a really good guy. A guy who really has his shit togheter despite having multiplie negative experiences. You share you "problems" in an objective manner, which contributes to a "non-depressive" atmostphere. I wish more vulnerable members would do the same thing.

It also sounds like you had done too little research regarding surgons, post-op procedures etc. I hope you have learned from this experience, and that other members can do so too. I wish you best of luck!

Hairysituation thanks very much for the ignorant, rash comments. Calling me pathetic. You have no idea who I am or what I've dealt with in my lifetime. If you don't want to read about 'people crying about it in the forums' then why the hell are you in this section??

If you think that even the manliest of men will never need support or helping hand in their lifetime then I feel sorry for you and your deluded view of the world. However, you are young, even younger than me so I am assuming that your just naive. There is no need to go around calling people pathetic, if especially on these forums. People all deal with hair loss differently.

Breaking Bald, I just had a hair transplant a month ago which may or may not have worked (a long story), and felt similar to you before I had it. Now, something very wierd... I go to a gym and probably 75-80% of the guys there now have their heads shaved, and I'm realizing it actually looks pretty good on a lot of them. The days of long hair are out... it's too much to take care of, probably 40-50% of actors/models I'm seeing in the media are wearing their hair super short or completely bald. I'm realizing that if this transplant doesn't work, I may be screwed with two scars on the side of my head, which will prevent me from shaving it short (unless I can find some kind of surgeon who can disguise it).

Re: other things, life happens. Four years ago I was diagnosed with advanced (Stage 3B) lung cancer out of the blue... I was not expected to live. The surgeons wanted to take my entire lung out due to the location of the tumor, and I refused. I went on a heavy regimen of chemotherapy and radiation, and the tumor, which was the size of a grapefruit, is now a dead, shrunken 6 cm piece of tissue and I still have my lung (and my life). When you start putting everything else into that perspective, big problems start to look smaller. Things that used to look scary aren't anymore (I jump out of airplanes regularly now... skydiving has become addictive, and I never would have had the balls to do it if I hadn't come so close to death). Life always takes a bad turn now and then, and you learn valuable things from those bad turns. Believe me, I'm realizing now that a bald head is a very small thing in the big picture of existence.

I found a couple of responses to your posting to be a little cold and inappropriate. I also want to wish your sister the very, very best. You sound depressed, and I recommend getting some counselling and possibly considering an anti-depressant (no, you're not crazy, a ton of people are on anti-depressants these days). As for the the propecia and the minoxidil, they work minimally if you have a genetic disposition to being bald, believe me. But hey, you're 22, and your world may feel like it's ending, but you have a long adventure ahead of you.
    Doug I appreciate your comments and advice. I am very pleased that you came through cancer at the other side. I hope that the same thing will happen for my sister. My mother also came through cancer and luckily she is the healthiest she has been years at the moment. I agree that you learn valuable things from those bad turns. I am much more mature and belive that I have a higher conciousness than a lot of people my age due to some of things that have happened in my lifetime.

I try to put it into perspective with hair loss, but sometimes I find it incredibly hard losing a part of my identity at my age. Sometimes I have bad days thus the post above. Today I don't feel so bad and will try my best to stay this way. Again, thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Breaking Bald View Post
    Hairysituation thanks very much for the ignorant, rash comments. Calling me pathetic. You have no idea who I am or what I've dealt with in my lifetime. If you don't want to read about 'people crying about it in the forums' then why the hell are you in this section??
    I`m not calling you pathetic. I`m calling the first particular post in this thread pathetic. I don`t know anything about you as a person beside that post. That, and that you think I`m an asshole. You generalized some of my posts, and concluded with that I`m an asshole as a person. Sure, I`m the ignorant one, right?

I also gave you some actual advices. Show a little more appriciation. It`s actually good and realistic advices. Not some: "listen, nobody cares about your hair except yourself, man"-bullshit. But if you want to take that hostile tone, be my guest.

Quote Originally Posted by hairysituation View Post
    I`m not calling you pathetic. I`m calling the first particular post in this thread pathetic. I don`t know anything about you as a person beside that post. That, and that you think I`m an asshole. You generalized some of my posts, and concluded with that I`m an asshole as a person. Sure, I`m the ignorant one, right?

I also gave you some actual advices. Show a little more appriciation. It`s actually good and realistic advices. Not some: "listen, nobody cares about your hair except yourself, man"-bullshit. But if you want to take that hostile tone, be my guest.
    I called you an asshole because you posted that song 'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGPkTyLcSAU' on that guys topic. Maybe I am misinterpreting what you meant with that song post. But I am assuming that you meant that it's too late to do anything for his hair which is untrue.

I called you an asshole because you posted that song 'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGPkTyLcSAU' on that guys topic. Maybe I am misinterpreting what you meant with that song post. But I am assuming that you meant that it's too late to do anything for his hair which is untrue.
    Yes, that`s what I meant. He didn`t even include any anti-androgen treatments to his regime. He should either try Finasteride, Dutasteride or RU. Minoxidil will only slow it down, so will any anti-androgen treatments (just more effectively). He was already a NW 3.5/4, so it is in fact too late to start now. Therefore, it was a fair and funny comment by Hairysituation. (Yes, I just refered to myself in third person).

Btw, You still haven`t shown any signs of appriciations regarding the good advices I gave you.

Quote Originally Posted by hairysituation View Post
    Yes, that`s what I meant. He didn`t even include any anti-androgen treatments to his regime. He should either try Finasteride, Dutasteride or RU. Minoxidil will only slow it down, so will any anti-androgen treatments (just more effectively). He was already a NW 3.5/4, so it is in fact too late to start now. Therefore, it was a fair and funny comment by Hairysituation. (Yes, I just refered to myself in third person).

Btw, You still haven`t shown any signs of appriciations regarding the good advices I gave you.
    Indeed, well I doubt very much that he found it funny or in the slightest bit helpful.

Fair enough your advice was pretty good. Unfortunately I cannot afford a F.U.E HT, even though I would love to be able to. I really don't trust fin, I think that blocking DHT is a very bad idea and it is not fully understood. Not so sure about a hair piece, I understand that they need regular maintenance and cost quite a bit?

Indeed, well I doubt very much that he found it funny or in the slightest bit helpful.

Fair enough your advice was pretty good. Unfortunately I cannot afford a F.U.E HT, even though I would love to be able to. I really don't trust fin, I think that blocking DHT is a very bad idea and it is not fully understood. Not so sure about a hair piece, I understand that they need regular maintenance and cost quite a bit?
    Ok, let`s just forget about that guy`s thread, shall we?

You can always take up a loan, get a part time job, work as much as possible during the summer vacation. Maybe get some economical help from somebody in your family etc. I don`t know which country you live in nor what your social-economic backround is.

If you don`t trust fin, you could always try RU. There`s less side effects-associated with it. But I have been on fin for 7 months now, and it is NOT a powerful drug against aggressive hairloss. I therefore am going to switch to dut. (I have absolutely NO side effects from fin, nor gains for that matter. My case also seems to be norm (regarding no side effects) in clinical studies.

You can also try Lipogaine which contains Azelaic Acid , which also inhibits DHT. (check out this review from a knowledeable user).
    Bottom line, you have to inhibit DHT in some way, or else your hair loss will win the battle/war.

A quality hair piece does not have do be very expensive. (Check out Toplace.com or coolpiece.com). Spencer Kobren reccommended these two services on his show. BUT, there is some maintenance involved, but also great help to find on the Toplace forum. You could also choose a custom place, which does all the maintenance for you. (Attatchment, placing, cutting, styling etc.). However, this alternative will be more expensive.

So it`s really up to you. I`m convinced that this is the best approach, and if you check out my thread regarding this spesific topic, you will see that many quality users found this approach to be a good one.