+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jjo View Post

I think it's too bad about all the bad remarks people make.. It can put so much fear into people.

It's a small dose drug that inhibits an enzyme. I just can't believe it would ever damage someone permanently and I think there is to much negative online about it.

Just my opinion.
    Just your opinion, yes. There are many men with very different opinions and you're entitled to your belief, but I know from actual experience that side effects are real.

*Bump*

I'm about to start Fin soon, would like to hear of more success stories please.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmalo View Post
    *Bump*

I'm about to start Fin soon, would like to hear of more success stories please.
    Well I just hit month 4(started end of june) and I've been shedding for a few weeks. Positive news is I've actually got a few new hairs on my hairline. My hairline has definitely improved slightly. We'll see how much more.

still thin on top though, If that doesnt improve I may consider some concealer to tide me over.

EDIT: and the wait is LOOONG, I'm seeing the odd new hair on my hairline every week, but my hair largely looks the same, from other stories i've seen it's a pretty slow process if it does help you in any way.

I have been on finasteride for over 2 years. It works great.
    If you're serious about maintaining hair long term, your options are still basically finasteride and dutasteride.

Minoxidil has done wonders for me. In my opinion people should be advised to try that before potentially damaging their hormonal system. Common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    Minoxidil has done wonders for me. In my opinion people should be advised to try that before potentially damaging their hormonal system. Common sense.
    I definitely agree with this. I did Minoxidil for over a year before getting on Propecia. Minoxidil helps most, some even get a little growth.

You have to weigh your options when you want to take a drug like propecia for sure, but in propecia's defense, when you dont have sides from it, it is by far the best fighter against hairloss and definitely slows or halts the loss for most.

This post is too necessary. Keeps all the negative posts in check.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    I absolutely agree one should try minoxidil before finasteride.

I've been on minoxidil for 5 months next week and my hair is worse. I've grown some vellus hairs in my hairline but I've also increased diffused thinning throughout my entire scalp (photo results confirm) that I've applied the Rogaine foam. I have my six month appointment with my derm at the end of November. I will see what she says and decide what to do. I'm either going to shave my head or try low levels of fin.

Personally I can only agree with the "minox first" approach for those who are resolved to never, ever use finasteride or who cannot use it. For anyone who will ever use fin for hair loss, the time to start is now (unless you are too young). I say this because minox does not stop or slow MPB from happening, it just forces hair to grow from damaged follicles. So MPB will still progress at the same rate in terms of follicle miniaturization, you will just have a higher hair count (and more terminal hairs) at each 6 month interval than you would have otherwise. And that is fine for those who accept it, but if you're trying to stay at or above baseline for the long term, it will not work.
    If you use minox and then fall back below baseline in 2 years (or however long), and then get on finasteride, you basically should have started on fin in the first place. You have only allowed your follicles to take an additional 2 years of damage that fin could have prevented.
    I say this with the utmost respect for others who are proposing minoxidil instead of fin. I would like to agree with the approach but just can't do it except for people who can't or won't use DHT drugs.

@ 25 going on 65

I understand what you are saying and agree that minoxidil doesn't stop MPB. However, for someone cautious to tamper with my hormones, it has allowed me to try something while I research and contemplate using finasteride. It's one thing to make a good decision that works out poorly. It's another thing to make a bad decision by not thinking it through.