+ Reply to Thread

Default Is my hair thinning badly? Is there anything early to prevent?

Hello all,

I have for the past few months decided to grow my hair out long and my wife seems to like it, but being a short spiky hair guy for a long time, I never really noticed. I took some photos of my hairline to see how bad my thinning hairline is to me. How bad is it really? Can it be corrected by oral(pills) or something else other than topical stuff or Rx. To some it is probably nothing and say I shouldn't worry, but I would really like to hear your thoughts.

Didn't you notice any shedding uptill now? An dthe best think you can do, as a start, is to get an appointment at the derm. else there is Minoxidil or propecia (google those)

Quote Originally Posted by Ramazan View Post
    Didn't you notice any shedding uptill now? An dthe best think you can do, as a start, is to get an appointment at the derm. else there is Minoxidil or propecia (google those)
    No I didn't notice it shedding. I am married and have kids already ( maybe that is the source lol jk) but don't see spending sums of money to try to slow something that is eventually going to happen anyways, especially restoring to Rx meds or chemicals. My wife actually doesn't care anyways, she actually has a thing for bald guys (i.e Jason Statham, Vin Diesel), but the thing is I don't know if I have the right shape of head. Another thing I don't know what I should do is just keep my hair as it is now and enjoy the longer hair as long as I can or cut to short again.

think hair is less visible on a short cut esp when its receding like that. maybe try minoxidil no real side effects. dont start propecia unless you consult your wife first!! possible sexual side effects noted more consistently than the company will tell you. im on it for year and a bit...my libido decreased a small bit but still its ok like, nothing major but i heard worse stories.

yes there's definitely some receding but I don't know how old you are, assuming from what you have written I think you must be at least in your late 30s or early 40s so at that age I can say your hair is very well acceptable.
    I am not a big fan of minox for the hairline, since mine got a lot worse after using it for 6+ months and I haven't still recovered from that.
    If you don't like your hairline you can try a HT, I am sure it will work wonders on you if done by someone who is really experienced in hairlines.

Quote Originally Posted by aodfan View Post
    I took some photos of my hairline to see how bad my thinning hairline is to me. How bad is it really?
    Photos of your hairline alone are generally not a good indicator of MPB. Photos of your vertex and mid-anterior provide a much more accurate indicator of MPB. However in your case it is pretty obvious that you do have thinning going on.

The only oral pill that is proven to stop it and FDA approved for that purpose is Finasteride (Propecia) and that requires a prescription. Without seeing your vertex or mid-anterior, it is impossible to tell if topical Minoxidil (Rogaine) will be of any help to you. You may benefit from using the Hairmax laser comb every other day, but again without seeing your vertex or mid-anterior it's impossible to tell.