+ Reply to Thread

Default 17 and experiencing bad hair loss

Hello all,

I am currently 17 years old and have noticed some aggressive hairloss in the past few months. My hairline has receded quite a bit and my overall hair density has become noticeably poorer (especially in the frontal region).

I've been on minoxidil for the past 3 months, but I can't tell if it's doing any good and, frankly, I don't want to risk waiting a year to find out that it hasn't. I want to make sure I'm doing everything possible to preserve my hair.

My parents don't really think it's all that important. They're content to laugh it off, which means I need to know what I can do NOW that will save my hair from future recession.

I'm willing to go on the Big 3 and plan on getting a hair transplant in the future if things do no look too bright. Would Fin / Minox / Nizoral be the best thing for me to go on until I'm eligible for a hair transplant?

BTW, this isn't one of those cases where a kid is freaking out over nothing. All the males on both my parents' side are bald, so it's a definite for me in the future. I realize this, but there's no way I'm going bald at 17. I just refuse to let it happen without a fight.

Try this instead

Laser comb ($275 one time investment)

Viviscal - 2 tabs a day ( $36 a month from Amazon)

6 gms of MSM

1 gm of Vit C

1 B - Complex

1 Vit D - 1000 IU's

Nizoral ($7 a month from Amazon)

Revivogen Scalp Therapy ($ 33 a month)

Sulphate Free Shampoo ($ 6 a month)

I have studied the drug interactions. There are none. My regimen is theoretically a Side effect free treatment in most cases unless you are allergic to one of the drugs or the active ingredients of the topicals.

It costs me a $110 a month to follow this routine over and above the $275 investment in the laser comb.

In case it doesn't meet your expectations, add fluridil to your routine (typically side-effect free topical)in a few months failing which you can add neogenic 12 months from now.

Lets say even with the contingency plan you are unable to stop hair loss let alone foster hair growth. Then Probably in 2 years - around sept 2014- from today you can add TRX2.

Now in 2015 I am expecting CB-03-01 to be brought to market. Llike my other recommendations CB should be a side-effect free topical - atleast in theory - which has proven to be more effective than finasteride and likely safe for long term use.

Subsequently, you will see PGD2 inhibitors and Histogen's treatment commercialized. Aderans another effective nevertheless expensive baldness remedy could see the light of day sooner than that.

Either way, if you follow my approach, I am confident you can maintain what you have currently at the very least 5 years from now. I would infact assert that that the most likely outcome of adopting the aforementioned strategy would be the re-emergence of your teenage hairline.

Dont worry. Baldness for those of us with the gene is not an inevitability any more. Spot it early and take remedial steps.

Cheers!

If you want to understand Hairloss science, and its important that you do, Please review the posters of Gutted and 2020 on baldtruth and Decadetwo's on Hairlosshelp. They are sincere hair loss sufferers who have the best interests of the balding/bald community at heart. They are not here to represent anyone here but themselves.

More importantly, remember that Austan Goolsbee - who was the former chairman of Presidents Economic Advisors - is an MIT graduate, improvisational comic, faculty at the Chicago Booth School of Business, and the husband to a very attractive woman is an NW7. Baldness even if it does come to fruition on your scalp - which it won't - should not define who you are

I feel to step in here. Mostly because I know what it`s like to bald as a teenager, and also because the guy above dosen`t know shit. Gutted and 2020 means well, I respect their motivation, but they are in no position regarding giving medical advices.

FDA approved treatmens for hair loss:
    Finasteride (inhibit DHT)
    Minoxidil (Increases the blood flow to your hair follicles.)
    Nizoral (clear scalp from dandruff in addition to inhibit DHT to some degree)

Treatments I use:
    Lipogaine (a more effective Minoxidil)
    Dutesteride (a stronger version of Finasteride, inhibit both type I and type II DHT)
    Nizoral
    I`m also planning on trying RU (an experimental treatment, also inhibit DHT)

As you can see, the FDA approved treatments is the once that you can safely use. However, agressive hair loss (like mine and yours) could possibly need something stronger to prevent further hair loss. You have to consider this for yourself. how far you are willing to go to stop and possibly reverse hair loss?

PS! Remember that the sexual side effects becomes more likely when you use Dutesteride instead of Finasteride. However, it should in theory be more effective.

Oh man, we're in the same boat here. I'm also 17 with pretty bad hair loss
    im between 2 & 3 on the Norwood scale. I went to the doctor and they gave me a prescriptopn for minoxidil 5% solution and Nizoral 2% shampoo
    ive been on the Nizoral for about 2 weeks and 1 week for the minoxidil. The only thing i've noticed is that 4 days after starting to use minoxidil, hairs started falling off much more easily, i would literally gently pull on a small group of hair and every time i would see at least one hair come off of my scalp and onto my hand. In my opinion, you should check with a doctor and see what they would recommend for you because there are different causes for hair loss. Hope this helps dude.

I must agree with what some have stated here.. for right now the only proven restoration treatment for the balding are the Big 3( Minoxidil 5%, Nizoral 1% or 2% shampoo with Ketaconazole as a mild DHT inhibitor interrupting the binding of it on the hair follicle and finally Finasteride doing most of the heavy lifting countering the DHT in your blood chemistry. With all of that investment your hair if responsive to that should see a result in 6 months to a year tops. If you don't see results from that over a year or up to the two year mark then I would suggest if the hair loss advances I would seek out a dermatologist and from there look into hair grafts and transplant surgery.

Yup, disregard first poster.

As others have stated, Big 3 (fin, minox, niz), or use experimental treatments (you need a DHT-blocker and a growth stim).

Okay, so would going to my regular doctor be quicker in an effort to get a prescription for Propecia? I went to the dermatologist and he reccomended minoxidil a few months back, but it's literally done nothing and my hair loss has gotten far worse in that time period.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisGayLife View Post
    Okay, so would going to my regular doctor be quicker in an effort to get a prescription for Propecia? I went to the dermatologist and he reccomended minoxidil a few months back, but it's literally done nothing and my hair loss has gotten far worse in that time period.
    I've logged on just to tell you this;

Whatever you do, don't stop using minoxidil if you're in the midst of a shed; this is probably the worst thing you can do. If you're using minoxidil, you must ride out the shed. If you don't you stand to lose the hair you've shed and may not get it back.

Yes, you can get a scrip for propecia from your derm. Research the sides very well first, there is a potential for sexual sides.

Cheers.