X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • baldingormature
    • Jul 2012

I think I'm a NW3. Any tips?

Hey all =)

I had posted a while back how I had shaved my head. I like the shaved head look, but recently I've been missing having hair. For the past week and a half I've been letting it grow back just to see how the hairline is looking (been wearing a hat in public). Man. I'm not super psyched on it haha.

I feel that my crown looks fine, but the front is not wonderful. (I apologize for not having consistency in lighting, it's my fault for not being good at picture taking)

Also, in case it affects anything, I'm a 22 year old fellow.

Anyways

My question is - am I indeed a NW3? Is this 100% MPB or could it be health-related? (I haven't been for a checkup in some years now, but I have no conditions as far as I know)

If I'm to grow it out, do you think it'll be possible to conceal? I have pretty thick hair up top, but are the temple recessions too deep to cover up easily?

Lastly,

In terms of 'fixing' my problem with concavity, would Minox really help? I'm not up for taking any pills, so I'd only be up for trying topical solutions.

I have a bottle of Lipogaine, but have yet to use any because I'm still nervous about starting that whole process. Especially because I have a cat who loves to lick a lot, and I've heard that Minox is toxic to cats.

Thanks a lot! I'm really self-conscious, so for me this is probably the strangest post I've ever made; but hopefully you guys have some advice!

Thanks =)
  • Manu84
    • Aug 2012

Nice Symphony x shirt

Yes Rogaine would probably help a bit, although that mutha doesn't work too well on the temples

Comment

• rdawg
      • Jun 2012

You look close to a NW3 yes, Although you have very minor thinning on top.

Yes begin Minoxidil, it's quite easy with no side effects(except maybe dandruff.)

It may not do much for your temples though but it's worth a try.

I'd reccomend at least Nizoral too and Propecia. It seems you have alot of vellus hairs and propecia would give you a chance at getting those back to full form. It's up to you if you dont want to take that though.

Comment

• baldingormature
        • Jul 2012

Originally posted by rdawg
        You look close to a NW3 yes, Although you have very minor thinning on top.

Yes begin Minoxidil, it's quite easy with no side effects(except maybe dandruff.)

It may not do much for your temples though but it's worth a try.

I'd reccomend at least Nizoral too and Propecia. It seems you have alot of vellus hairs and propecia would give you a chance at getting those back to full form. It's up to you if you dont want to take that though.
        Thanks for the advice =) I'm not sure, but thinning on top may just be lighting. I actually took the brighter pic several days before the other, and that was still well under 2 weeks of growth (from being totally clean shaven haha). I can take another one in a few weeks =)

I ordered a bottle of Nizoral 1% to try, and I'm thinking about starting Minox. I'm still hesitant and not really wanting to try it, but I'm also tired of having those damn dips at the temples haha. I'm still very much against Propecia, though. Will Nizoral and Minox/Lipogaine be enough on their own to potentially get regrowth?

Comment

• elnino
          • Sep 2012

im a fellow nw 3 and i cover my receding a bit..i just put it into a bit of a "fo hawk as its called...im using minox 12 and half % for the temples but no joy might down the line go under the knife for it..not sure...but **** it man, do a combover...i know its an old age thing but whos going to know....i still gel mine up and get credit for its looks.

Comment

• baldingormature
            • Jul 2012

Hey guys

I had another question but didn't want to start a new thread.

Would Nizoral on its own be effective in any way? I've started using 1% (and am planning on continuing once every 3 or 4 days) and will pay attention to how it helps.

I do still have a bottle of Minox (Lipogaine) but am really hesitant to even try it. I'm still not quite ready to commit to something that will need to continue indefinitely. If I can get some kind of growth back from just Nizoral, that would be preferable; but wanted to see if that's even reasonable.

Thanks!

Comment

• clandestine
              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by baldingormature
              Hey guys

I had another question but didn't want to start a new thread.

Would Nizoral on its own be effective in any way? I've started using 1% (and am planning on continuing once every 3 or 4 days) and will pay attention to how it helps.

I do still have a bottle of Minox (Lipogaine) but am really hesitant to even try it. I'm still not quite ready to commit to something that will need to continue indefinitely. If I can get some kind of growth back from just Nizoral, that would be preferable; but wanted to see if that's even reasonable.

Thanks!
              Nizoral is a mild topical anti-androgen. You won't likely see any growth with Nizoral, you might maintain slightly, but it's not thought to be too effective on it's own. Nizoral is used more as a conjunctive treatment.

Minox must be used indefinitely, yup. Constantly and consistently.

Comment

• rdawg
                • Jun 2012

Originally posted by clandestine
                Nizoral is a mild topical anti-androgen. You won't likely see any growth with Nizoral, you might maintain slightly, but it's not thought to be too effective on it's own. Nizoral is used more as a conjunctive treatment.

Minox must be used indefinitely, yup. Constantly and consistently.
                Pretty much this, I'd describe nizoral as a booster, not necessarily a growing product.

Minoxidil is quite easy to use, you need it "indefinitely" because it actually holds on to some of your hair or possibly improves it slightly, otherwise you'd indefinitely lose that hair.

so essentially is keeping some of your hair worth the 100-150$ a year for minoxidil or otherwise simply losing the hair.

i'd reccomend Fin as well(as it is the most useful by far of the 3) but there are more things to consider in regards to taking fin.

Comment

• DepressedByHairLoss
                  • Feb 2011

Yeah, very nice Symphony X shirt! I'm a metalhead too and those dudes in Symphony X really have some awesome hair. I wouldn't worry too much about your hair; I bet if you grew it out, no one would even notice any hair loss whatsoever. Hell, I think that so many people on here who are complaining about hair loss really have nothing to worry about; they are just developing mature hair lines and their hair loss is not noticeable to anyone whatsoever. But it wouldn't hurt to try finasteride; I wish I had gotten on it sooner, I could've saved myself lots of grief and heartache.

Comment

• rugger31
                    • Apr 2011

Don't want to alarm you but from the top shot it looks very much like a difuse balding pattern. Minox or propecia or both my help a poster the other with a simliar lost patter had pretty good results from just minox.

Comment

• baldingormature
                      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by rugger31
                      Don't want to alarm you but from the top shot it looks very much like a difuse balding pattern. Minox or propecia or both my help a poster the other with a simliar lost patter had pretty good results from just minox.
                      Thanks for the gentle way of putting it haha, though I've been noticing it more as it grows out.

Do you guys know if clinical depression may be affecting any of this? I have it, and unfortunately the past year or so has been fairly terrible which has added a ton of stress.

Honestly? The hair loss is annoying, but isn't a huge concern when compared to the depression haha.

Edit: Also, for added info, I take no meds for my depression haha.

Comment

• NotBelievingIt
                        • Oct 2011

Certain meds will screw with the hormones so yes, possibly. Ask the doctor that prescribed the meds.

Comment

• baldingormature
                          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by NotBelievingIt
                          Certain meds will screw with the hormones so yes, possibly. Ask the doctor that prescribed the meds.
                          Haha sorry, my edit was a little awkward - I'm actually not taking meds; but am still in the middle of a situation that has been affecting the depression pretty severely.

Comment

Working...