Minoxidil second shed - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Minoxidil second shed

Has anyone experienced a second shedding period while using minoxidil? I have been using minoxidil for 5 months, and had the initial shed after about a months of use. Now 5 months later I am experiencing a second shed, and was curious if this happens sometimes, or if the minoxidil isn't working anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by daninreallife View Post
    Has anyone experienced a second shedding period while using minoxidil? I have been using minoxidil for 5 months, and had the initial shed after about a months of use. Now 5 months later I am experiencing a second shed, and was curious if this happens sometimes, or if the minoxidil isn't working anymore?
    How bad are your sheds?

Pretty bad... When I wash my hair I end up with 20+ hairs on my hands, and more in the towel when I dry it. It's a lot like how much I was shedding when I had the initial shed from Minoxidil. The shedding now is mainly in the area where I'm applying the Minoxidil too (temporal area). I'm losing a lot of the initial gains I had.

Pretty bad... When I wash my hair I end up with 20+ hairs on my hands, and more in the towel when I dry it. It's a lot like how much I was shedding when I had the initial shed from Minoxidil. The shedding now is mainly in the area where I'm applying the Minoxidil too (temporal area). I'm losing a lot of the initial gains I had.
    Did you change anything regarding your routine (applying minox)?

The only thing I changed was switching from Rogaine liquid to Rogain foam.(I heard the foam is better than liquid) I still applid it two times a day though. I used the foam for a month and a half to two months without any problems.

Last week I went and bought the liquid and have been using that in the evening and foam in the morning, because I hate how greasy the liquid makes my hair. No change in shedding, but I realize it usually takes some time for results to occur. Any ideas for why I'm shedding though?

The only thing I changed was switching from Rogaine liquid to Rogain foam.(I heard the foam is better than liquid) I still applid it two times a day though. I used the foam for a month and a half to two months without any problems.

Last week I went and bought the liquid and have been using that in the evening and foam in the morning, because I hate how greasy the liquid makes my hair. No change in shedding, but I realize it usually takes some time for results to occur. Any ideas for why I'm shedding though?
    I have heard many people on Rogaine foam mention a secondary shed. I am not sure what is the cause.

I started using the foam about 2 months ago. This was a switch from liquid (I have been using a form of minox for over 24 years). I immediately went through a rough shed which seems over now. I am very wary of the second shed you are describing. I am only using the foam once a day as a precaution.

I have heard of sheds when people move from liquid to foam. I idea why ???

I am going through a shed at the moment 7 months after starting Rogaine liquid. Didn't notice much if any shed when I started but over the last 2 months I am definately losing hair. Like you have throttled back to once a day

I'm on Propecia and Regaine the foam for about 6 months.
    1.5 months ago I experienced a bad shed which lasted till recently and I was scared as I thought that there would be only one shedding phase, which is when I started the med. Now I'm better and shed less than before. But I'm not sure which causes this shed.

Anyway, I've done some searching and it seems that one goes through multiple shedding phases when uses those meds.

Good luck

Default Update

So it's been a few months and the shedding has completely stopped. The shedding period lasted for 2 to 3 months. I went from losing anywhere from 100-300 hairs a day to just a few, and my hair is back to its previous fullness. Hopefully this will provide some peace of mind for anyone experiencing the same thing.

Also I for those experiencing this I would keep up with the treatment twice a day. I don't see reducing the dosage helping if these shedding cycles are just a part of this medication.

Thank you for your post, I'm on the other side of the world and read it brought me a lot of peace of mind. happiness!