+ Reply to Thread

Default Some thoughts of Propecia and Libido...

Hi guys,

I've been thinking about this recently and figured I'd throw it out there. Do with it what you will.

I'm 21 and have receded a little at the temples and thinned a bit up top. It's certainly enough to want to do something about it, but I haven't yet aside from using Nizoral. Obviously like everyone else in the same position I'm considering finasteride. For now I've been getting on with my life.

Anyway, since I've been aware of the drug and the potential sexual side effects, I've been a bit more aware of my current libido.

Recently I just haven't had any sex drive at all. No morning glory, no real desire in general and even when I go to "bang one out" it's definitely been more "forced" than other times i.e. wouldn't take much for the arousal to go away. I also haven't been as "full" or hard as I could be.

Again, I'm not on Propecia or anything for that matter. I would be considered healthy... I eat a balanced diet, I'm slim and I workout pretty much every day... I'd consider myself healthier than most as I actually "try" to be healthy.

When I think about it, I've had periods in my life before where I'm just not that horny... it just comes and goes. I'll go a few months where I don't have sex or even a wank at all... and I don't have the desire to. Then the next couple of months I'm horny as hell and having to bang one out a couple of times a day just to think straight.

So overall, my libido fluctuates... probably due to other things going on in my life.

Anyway, I really paid attention to it the last couple of months where I didn't have any libido at all, because I know that if I was currently on Propecia I would have definitely freaked out and blamed my low sex drive on the drug. So I just wanted to have the reference that I naturally have periods of time where I'm less horny. I hadn't given it any thought in the past, but as I say, when I do think about it I know that my libido has fluctuated before.

For all I know the last couple of months of low libido could be down to other things... financial stress, family stress and lack of going out and hitting up women recently (due to the financial stress). That's my thoughts.

Anyway, recently I've been researching a lot on vitamin D among other things as I'm quite into health and fitness.... and long story short I came around to reading about the connection between vitamin D and testosterone.

I then read in Tim Ferris' book The Four Hour Body (love him or loathe him... I'm indifferent) about a regime to increase testosterone in your body and thus your sex drive. Using him as an example, that's another person that you would consider "healthy", athletic etc... but was suffering from a low libido.

The regime involved boosting your vitamin D to optimal levels (most people are deficient) among other things.

I went and got my vitamin D level tested and I was indeed "deficient"... from optimal at least. Since then I have been following the regime in the book which involves supplementing with vitamin D, cod liver oil, vitamin rich butter and brazil nuts. The exact regime details can be found online.

I've only been doing this for the last 3 weeks (vitamin D will probably take 4 - 5 weeks to reach optimum levels) but in that time I have definitely noticed an increase in libido and "hardness". I've also been getting a morning glory more regularly and have generally just been easier to turn on.

Anyway, the reason I'm saying all this (aside from just getting it out of my head for my own use) is for a couple of things.

1. It's worth observing your libido for a while before getting on Propecia. You may realize that you have bouts of time where you're just naturally not that horny.

2. To everyone... and especially those suffering from a loss of libido... get your vitamin D tested and consider undergoing the regime to increase your testosterone. I'm NOT FOR ONE SECOND saying I think this is a cure for those who have suffered side effects as a result of taking Propecia... undoubtedly Propecia could have done some damage.

BUT... out of interest... it would be cool to see how the people that have been negatively affected by Propecia responded to the testosterone regime.

Sorry for the ramble... as I say, do with it what you will, but I would be interested in people's constructive thoughts...

Thank you

Being horny and being able to "get horny" are two different things.

If you're rubbing one out when you don't really feel like it, you are doing yourself an injustice really.

#1 way to increase testosterone? Exercise and lift heavy weights.

Quote Originally Posted by NotBelievingIt View Post
    #1 way to increase testosterone? Exercise and lift heavy weights.
    I agree but I've been working out, lifting heavy weights for the past 2 years... and during that time I've had prolonged ups and downs of libido. It's not like I was consistent with my level of horniness.

Not disagreeing, just saying.

Hey, everyone is different. I'm the same way actually. I can go for like two months when suddenly I realize I havn't looked at you know what in a long time. Then suddenly it strikes and that shit is on my mind constantly for a month, maybe two straight then fades.

Been like that for a long time actually. Just one "reason" why I'm not an active dater.

really great post mathmoose and agree with much of what you say