+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Hey, inspects, thanks for the encouragement. I had the transplant on October
    7th... so I have at least a couple of months to go, I guess, before I know anything. I originally had a quite a few fuzzy hairs on the top of my head, which have grown back, and a couple of weeks ago I was sure it was already the grafts growing, lol! Now that I'm looking at it, it's pretty much the same growth I always had up there, not any denser. The doc told me I would probably lose those as a result of the transplant, but they obviously stayed, so hopefully if the grafts work they'll add to the density. I am noticing this morning I have what looks feels like a pimple that's a little sore on the top of my head, and I've never had a pimple on my scalp before in my life. Maybe it's a hair trying to grow in? :-) Great you're having success with yours right now, hope I get to that stage. How long did you have the sutures before they were removed? I haven't used minoxidil in the scarred area, as since there are no follicles there anymore, obviously I didn't think hair would grow...

Quote Originally Posted by doug546 View Post
    Hey, inspects, thanks for the encouragement. I had the transplant on October
    7th... so I have at least a couple of months to go, I guess, before I know anything. I originally had a quite a few fuzzy hairs on the top of my head, which have grown back, and a couple of weeks ago I was sure it was already the grafts growing, lol! Now that I'm looking at it, it's pretty much the same growth I always had up there, not any denser. The doc told me I would probably lose those as a result of the transplant, but they obviously stayed, so hopefully if the grafts work they'll add to the density. I am noticing this morning I have what looks feels like a pimple that's a little sore on the top of my head, and I've never had a pimple on my scalp before in my life. Maybe it's a hair trying to grow in? :-) Great you're having success with yours right now, hope I get to that stage. How long did you have the sutures before they were removed? I haven't used minoxidil in the scarred area, as since there are no follicles there anymore, obviously I didn't think hair would grow...
    Hi Doug,

I had the sutured removed at the 10 day period. Like I said many of the hairs shed, I'd say 50%+ shed. The doctor said I should expect all the TP hairs to shed but the ones which do not shed just chalk it up as a bonus, but don't expect them to grow for a while even if the follicle doesn't lose the hair.

Now that the grafts are growing nicely after three months post-op the hairs which didn't fall out are about 1/8th inch longer then the new hairs. I have a very even pattern of new hair over my entire head, rubbing my head the new hairs feel very healthy, stiff, standing straight upward, the ones at the temples are growing at different angles, I believe the doctor and his team did one hell of a good job. It took about 2.5 months for me to see any real noticeable growth.

The doctor said all patients are different, some see growth in as little as a month, others may not experience growth for four of six months. Multi-Vitamins, Fin, and Minox all play a role in the development process.

My brother had the same procedure from the same doctor performed eight years ago, he is the person who told me about this forum so I could learn more about FUT's and other new evolving technology, his hair looks like he never lost any in the first place, when in fact he was in worse shape then me regarding thinning hair from his temples to crown. So I have high expectations of similar results which I'm seeing now.

My brother has been on Fin and Minox for the last eight years with no side-effects, just positive results not losing anymore hair and keeping what he has healthy after his TP.

I expect you will have the same results, you have to think positive, no point in losing sleep over the premature Minox application.

I'll call my doctor when I get home from the office and explain to him a friend applied Minox the day after surgery, what if any issues could arise. My doctor has been performing HT for fifteen years. He should know the answer, like you said, you certainly cannot be the first person to prematurely apply Minox.

Hard to believe not a single doctor or affiliate of a HT physician has not added any incite to your original question.

Keep your spirits up, Doug...!!

Hi Doug, I think you know you are in one of those wait and see situations. I personally don't think you've done much damage. I think if you are like me, you would do more damage stressing over it.

I was asking my doctors questions after question to the point that I felt I was becoming irritating. After reading your story, I feel I did the right thing by asking all those questions. I asked my clinic if I should use Regaine etc. They said they feel that I (or most people) should not need any products post HT. And as a general rule they don't recommend any products post HT. The said if I did want to use Regaine, that I should wait at least 3 months.

I am surprised how varied the post HT advice is. We are all going through some level of anxiety post HT, but it's nice to have you guys here to bounce off.

hey doug

i read one doctor's concern about using minoxidil too early is due to:

POSSIBLE SKIN IRRITATION
    and
    POSSIBLE DROP IN BLOOD PRESSURE (due to the vasodilator medication properties)

nothing about destruction of grafts

others suggest to use
    Rogaine immediately after the surgery, especially is grafts have been placed in and around existing hair to prevent shock loss

this said, you have nothing to worry about

best

Rev3, I think I read that doctor's response in a question-and-answer site. He does, state, however, that there are some "potential" dangers (which connotates, again, nobody seems to know for sure). In any case, have stopped overly stressing about it. Inspects, I'd really like to know what your doctor says if you mention it to him. I have to admit, I've read a lot of questions on this forum that have been answered by docs, and I'm a little disappointed and curious why none of them have put in an opinion on my situation... I even wrote individually to a doctor on another forum and he didn't even bother to answer back. Maybe - again - no one knows the answer or what to expect?

Thanks again for all the support, anyway, to all you guys. I'm staying as positive as I can, but it's still pretty early in the game (five weeks today). Will keep you posted, really glad this forum exists...

Quote Originally Posted by doug546 View Post
    Rev3, I think I read that doctor's response in a question-and-answer site. He does, state, however, that there are some "potential" dangers (which connotates, again, nobody seems to know for sure). In any case, have stopped overly stressing about it. Inspects, I'd really like to know what your doctor says if you mention it to him. I have to admit, I've read a lot of questions on this forum that have been answered by docs, and I'm a little disappointed and curious why none of them have put in an opinion on my situation... I even wrote individually to a doctor on another forum and he didn't even bother to answer back. Maybe - again - no one knows the answer or what to expect?

Thanks again for all the support, anyway, to all you guys. I'm staying as positive as I can, but it's still pretty early in the game (five weeks today). Will keep you posted, really glad this forum exists...
    Hi Doug,

My doctors physicians assistant said you may experience some stinging-irritation but has never heard of any damage done. They have had people who didn't read the post-op instructions with no harm done, unlike you not receiving any written instructions, only verbal.

He basically said the same thing Rev3 explained about known effects of Minox, but didn't think any damage would be done.

My doctor wasn't able to answer the phone Friday, but I know his partner is very knowledgeable about hair restoration, they have been working together for 15 years.

If your five weeks post-op you should begin to see some tiny sprouts in the next couple weeks. I experienced some itching, then hairs appearing shortly after, some growing quicker than others, depending on the shock they experienced I'm guessing.

I noticed new growth at the areas they did the transplant first, now I see their all coming in nicely every where. Fin, Minox foam twice daily, Biotin-10,000 mcg twice daily, Multi Vitamin.

Did you actually lose-shed every hair transplanted? or did a few stay dormant?

Regardless, expect the beginning of a head of Broccoli in three + months or so, tiny stiff hairs popping up every where...!!

Again...Best of luck to you...!!!!

Apologies guys for changing the conversation direction slightly. I know a lot of FUE clinics in London recommend using Regaine after HT. In terms of when you start Regaine varies from clinic to clinic. Some have said 10 days (earliest), others have said 1 month, 3 month, 6 month. There has been one that said that it's not needed.

So if you were going to use Regaine after FUE/FUT to give your growth an extra boost, when would you think it would be safe to start Regaine?

If I could do it all over again, I would probably wait about three weeks, just to be safe (although Inspects, thanks very, very much for the info and taking the time to check with your doc's office. It's taken a very big load off my mind. You've been a very great source of support since I've joined this forum). From what I've learned - and I've done a LOT of research on the web during the last few weeks - within 4-5 days your grafts are settled in like armor and the lesions they went into are healed (scabs have fallen off, etc., which means they're closed up) by a week-ten days. So there's most likely no danger by then. I probably should end this by saying what a lot of other members say, "I'm not a doctor, but..." The thing is, from all the advice I'm reading on the web, most of the doctors are all contradicting themselves on several things anyway. It would be great if the medical profession could track information on their patients and everybody come to an agreement on certain protocols w/hair transplants. I understand our bodies all work differenltly, but some of the stuff I'm reading are clearly things that an organization of MD's could come to an agreement on to confuse their patients less. It also tends to kind of degrade the way the hair transplant industry looks... sort of a "Well, none of us are really sure, but I do it this way..." kind of thing.

Re: also changing the subject, I don't know if this should go on another part of the forum or not, but... I have very thin hair ("like a baby's," according to other people), and always have. It's not doing a very good job of growing over the scars on the sides of my head, and I'm getting kind of sick of wearing baseball caps all the time. The hair has grown great over the back scar because my doctor told me in advance to grow it out before the surgery (didn't know the side scars were going to go out as far as as my ears). Has anyone ever used this Toppik stuff to cover the scars? If you're at work, does this stuff fall off during the course of eight hours? Does it get on your pillow if you don't shower the night of the day you used it? Do the colors they offer match the color of your hair (I'm not sure if I'm a medium brown or a dark brown). Last, how is it applied if you're putting it on a specific area of your head, like on the sides, which could be a little awkward? From what I'm seeing on the web, you sprinkle it on rather than spray it... I guess that would mean folding an ear back with one hand and shaking the stuff on with the other... if I miss the scar, can the fibres be moved over to it somehow?
    Last edited by doug546; 10-15-2012 at 09:40 AM. Reason: left something out

Oh yeah, one more question: when I sweat the gym, will it come off and drip all over me? I actuall ordered some of this stuff on Amazon yesterday... I remember seeing the infomercial on t.v. several years ago and people laughing about how ridiculous it was, and now I'm actually buying some of the stuff...

Doug,

My brother who also had a TP years ago told me I could use Caboki concealer if I wanted to look like I had a full head of hair since I had a full head of fine and tiny hair on top, so I ordered a can online.

I applied it once, it does make you look like you do have one hell of a head of hair. You shake powder type fibers which cling to the hair immediately, then comb it in using a regular comb, not a brush. If you miss a small spot the comb moves the fibers to areas which you may not have sprinkled the fibers on thoroughly.

I left it on one day, here in Arizona you sweat just looking out the window in the summer. I went about my business all day with it on sweating because I work outside a lot. I didn't have anything running down my face or neck, its not like a paint product, after you apply it you can take your fingers and touch your hair and the product didn't come off on my fingers.

Anyway, I only applied the product one day, I just waited until my TP hairs began emerging, now my hair is growing nicely, no need for any concealer. I thought using the product was kind of a hassle, but it does work.