+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Should I start Finasteride? [Pic Included]

Hey,

I'm a 24 year old, just started having noticeable hairloss this past May. I was workin 50-70 hours as a barback outside on a warf, and another 20-30 as an intern. Needless to say, my life was relatively high stress, sleep was insufficient and irregular, and food consumption followed the same path. I'm down to 20 hours as an intern, but now I am back in grad school full time.

My dad is super bald, and used to have thin blonde hair when he did have it. His brother is pretty bald too, also blonde and thin. My maternal grandfather is a Spanish man with black hair I don't think a razer could slide through. My mother has thick black hair as well, and she's not bald either (yeah right?!?!?). Her brothers both have thick black hair (and are in their 20s and 30s), like she and I do. Being young, naive, and probably even ****y, I grew up with my thick black head of hair and the ole wives tale that "you will have the hairloss of your maternal grandfather" thinking, "Man, it's so awesome I don't have to go bald". Well, I've since got a bachelor's in biology and a lot more knowledge from the school of life.

I refuse to pray that my hairloss is TE, and pray that it's must a maturing hairline that will stop like my grandfather's.

As you can see in the picture, my hairlines definitely receded, though I don't have a good before (trust me on this one):

Honestly, I'm actually comfortable with a "mature" hairline where I'm at in my life. However, I'd rather NOT have a bald head, at least not until I trick some dime into marrying me and getting stuck with it. I'm not so superficial that a bald head would make me feel like a total mutant. You guys get what I'm saying.

ANYWAYS, I set up a dermatology appointment but it's about a month away.. zzzzzzz. I'm thinking I want to put my mind at ease and try a pharmaceutical solution (castor oil, a healthy diet, excercise, and scalp massages aren't cutting it.) I JUST read about finasteride. It looks insanely cheap, doesn't require a prescription, and seems overall too good to be true.

Gentlemen, would you be so kind as to lay your experience out before me. Realistically, I'm probably going to go scoop some up at 8 AM tomorrow before class and start asking ladies for phone numbers on campus with my new found confidence. Haha - just playin (sorta). What's up guys? What do you think? How much does it cost? What are your results? Keep in mind I will be seeing a dermatologist for a prognosis.

Thanks in advance, I will be keeping this post updated to share results with peers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	finesteride.jpg

Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	17007  

Default Here's my temples

My temples are where the hair loss is most noticeable for me. Here are pics of them. Sorry for double post, I couldn't find the Edit button.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	webcam-toy-photo2.jpg

Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	17008   Click image for larger version

Name:	webcam-toy-photo3.jpg

Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	17009  

Finasteride Positives:

It should at the very least, slow your hairloss, in most cases, will delay it 5-10 years or more(i.e itll keep all the hair you have for a long time). If you were thinning i'd say it also has the chance to reverse that a bit.

Negatives:

small chance(5-8&#37 of sides, not permanent, such as impotence, watery semen etc. the vast majority of the time, these are temporary if they do occur. 98-99% chance they wont be permanent.

Overall I dont see any major hairloss, however due to your family history, I'd reccomend monitoring it before going on propecia/proscar etc. If it continues to get worse a bit, then yes I'd reccomend proscar(plus potential rogaine.)

Quote Originally Posted by rdawg View Post
    Finasteride Positives:

It should at the very least, slow your hairloss, in most cases, will delay it 5-10 years or more(i.e itll keep all the hair you have for a long time). If you were thinning i'd say it also has the chance to reverse that a bit.

Negatives:

small chance(5-8%) of sides, not permanent, such as impotence, watery semen etc. the vast majority of the time, these are temporary if they do occur. 98-99% chance they wont be permanent.

Overall I dont see any major hairloss, however due to your family history, I'd reccomend monitoring it before going on propecia/proscar etc. If it continues to get worse a bit, then yes I'd reccomend proscar(plus potential rogaine.)
    Thanks for your response. I understand sides has a relatively small probability. If impotence/libido occurred I would probably choose balding over side effects (assuming they persisted of course.)

What is the safest/most reliable place to buy fin? Further, what is a wise tapering regime for someone in my position. My hair has been thinning for enough months for me to feel like investing in it. Early Nov I will see a dermatologist and get their take. I just feel like I want to get started before then.

I'd reccomend rogaine first, as you can pick that up at say walmart right now and it will at least slow down the loss until your dermatologist gives you their reccomendations. Rogaine wont give you any side effects(but it doesnt address the problem like finasteride does.)

As for fin, through your local doctor is best, you can get proscar for about $70 for a year's supply. Not sure how you get it outside of prescription. Just cut the 5mg proscar into quarters so that it's the same dose as propecia.

My only beef with rogaine is it is pretty expensive, especially considering I'm a full time student. Further, the idea of the initial heavy shed I've read about that happens when people start worries the hell out of me. I understand there is a Return On Investment, if you will, but I feel like simply stopping the hair loss (rather than try and regrow it) is what I want - I'm genuinely comfortable with my current hair, just afraid to lose too much more.

As for fin purchasing without prescription, I've done some research and found a handful of sites. I just know there is a wealth of experienced individuals on this site - I want to ask for their "referrals" to proven sites before I go entering my card number and make purchases.

Again, all my "knowledge", or lack-there-of, is from a cumulative 4-5 hours research on the internet. If I'm getting a fact twisted or speaking total non-sense, set me straight.